Next Announcement thread

Matt42

6 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

I'd guess it's more that they are unable to announce a fair few of the acts until after a certain date.

Frustrating though, because I want to see who will be on at the same time as Coldplay, so I know if I have the green light to sell my Manchester tickets. Grimes headlining JP may tempt me to keep hold of them.

Haha we are doing the same thing with Lumineers. Have two nights of tickets for the Lumineers and waiting to see what they are clashing against at Glasto. If we can catch them at Glasto probably skip Red Rocks at least one night but if they are clashing bad we will keep them... 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

I don't know why always assume big one won't be announced until after bbc big wkd so the BBC can talk about that first before going into glastonbury overdrive

Your theory has merit, in my opinion.

unfortunately seems that way. I normally wouldn't mind but generally we haven't the foggiest idea of which acts are playing where. in previous years it seems it has been more widely known which acts will definitely take up which slots, or at least what main stage they are playing on!

I feel its got past the point of annoyance that its not out now, being under 4 weeks away, but thats just me being petulant. I want to plan!

Edited by Memory Man

23 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

It's in the Unfairground in the Naughty Corner. It's always been too busy for me, will try and get there wednesday. New York Brass Band at 1am thursday could be  a hoot, saw them this week and thet are great.

I had to press pause whilst watching the test match at the weekend. New York Brass Band were dressed in Yorkshire Tea advertising gear whilst wandering around the crowd playing.

They were a highlight in Greenpeace last year!!! 

12 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

I feel its got past the point of annoyance that its not out now, being under 4 weeks away, but thats just me being petulant. I want to plan!

Same here. I've got a pretty decent idea of who I really want to see after hours, I just want to start planning the main stages! Plus the longer we don't know the less time I have to listen to new bands which will pop up.

I feel like we go through this same thing every year though. There's always a general complaint that it's taking longer than usual etc. but I don't really think it is. I agree in an ideal world we'd have the whole thing before June, but we should be used to waiting this long for it.

I don't think they are going to change their strategy any time soon. At least now we know (or at least 90% likely) that we'll get the whole thing this time next week. It's a shame it's not before the Bank Holiday, but what are you gonna do? Hopefully they are holding it off because there's something really juicy on there they can't announce until next Wednesday.

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

I feel like we go through this same thing every year though. There's always a general complaint that it's taking longer than usual etc. but I don't really think it is. I agree in an ideal world we'd have the whole thing before June, but we should be used to waiting this long for it.

I don't think they are going to change their strategy any time soon. At least now we know (or at least 90% likely) that we'll get the whole thing this time next week. It's a shame it's not before the Bank Holiday, but what are you gonna do? Hopefully they are holding it off because there's something really juicy on there they can't announce until next Wednesday.

Annoyingly Radiohead don't have anything that'd require them being held back until the 1st June :P

Although if they're not there, Kendrick would be my next choice for Saturday sub and he does have reason to be held back!

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Annoyingly Radiohead don't have anything that'd require them being held back until the 1st June :P

Although if they're not there, Kendrick would be my next choice for Saturday sub and he does have reason to be held back!

I'm slowly shifting on to the Kendrick train ;) Obviously I'd be massively stoked if RH play before Adele, but I think Kendrick would suit that slot far more and be a more exciting booking. Then RH can headline next year.

22 minutes ago, jparx said:

It is taking longer than usual tho. In the Donwood poster era, we haven't been stuck on one for so long without a big main stage announcement. It looks as if they've traded the main stages poster for all the other areas which I think worked a lot better last year as there was a smaller gap between the final headliner and the big reveal, so yeah this year is a lot more drawn out and certainly feels it.

I can't imagine it's just for the satisfaction of obscuring one act when they can and do put "TBA" on the poster now and then, which is replaced by the act's name at some point before the gates open.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

yup ... that 1st June date just screams something contractual for a big act at me, and if it's something to do with the act before Adele then Kendrick seems the most obvious one.

Then again, it's just occurred to me that the idea suggested to me of Beyonce would work for that too, as she has UK dates from the end of June. If she is playing this year there's almost-certainly something in place to protect the sales of her own shows.

1 minute ago, sophlamb said:

Can anyone explain why Kendrick would need to be held back until the 1st? I really want him to play so would love some straws to clutch at!

He's playing Hyde Park, and his booking contact could say that unless that's sold out, he can't announce any festival slots.

Can anyone explain why Kendrick would need to be held back until the 1st? I really want him to play so would love some straws to clutch at!

He's an exclusive at BST, it could be in his contract he won't announce any other UK shows until then to help them with ticket sales 

Just now, sophlamb said:

Well the thinking is he's playing the British Summer Time show with Florence and it is billed as a UK exclusive for Kendrick (or something like that). It's possible that if he is playing Glastonbury, they would have to wait until a certain date to announce him, to allow BST to sell as many tickets as possible. Since the announcement is June 1st, it could well be they aren't allowed to announce him before June. 

he's been announced as an exclusive for BST.

Those sorts of exclusive claims sometimes don't stand up as true, and instead get used to help protect the sales of the show that had the act under contract first.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yup ... that 1st June date just screams something contractual for a big act at me, and if it's something to do with the act before Adele then Kendrick seems the most obvious one.

Then again, it's just occurred to me that the idea suggested to me of Beyonce would work for that too, as she has UK dates from the end of June. If she is playing this year there's almost-certainly something in place to protect the sales of her own shows.

Wasn't there a rumour at some point that Kendrick was headlining the Other stage? What if that's still true...that would really mess everything up!