Next Announcement thread

Matt42

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, supreme said:

Yeah I was the guy who had the info that Kendrick was headlining the other stage with New Order, my mate was told this by Blossoms. Still maybe at a push could possible happen but who knows but maybe it was just a fluke :)

just out of interest, how long ago was this?

I suspect it might have been a pencilled-in option at one time, but I'm pretty sure that Kendrick isn't on the Other now.

So the next thought is: couldn't he do it, or was he moved elsewhere...?

1 minute ago, jparx said:

GKMC is without doubt his best album. I think people who prefer TPAB just jumped on the bandwagon late and that's the first one they heard. GKMC is a masterpiece and one of the greatest albums of the last 20 years. TPAB is great but it rehashes a lot of ideas

I agree GKMC is the better record, but to say TPAB rehashes ideas is a bit of a stretch for me. TPAB is a very ambitious record, which you can tell by the people he worked with. There's no way he would have worked with Kamasi Washington, Flying Lotus, Thundercat et al earlier in his career. The tone of the record is also something that's pretty fresh within hip-hop.

1 minute ago, big__phil said:

I agree GKMC is the better record, but to say TPAB rehashes ideas is a bit of a stretch for me. TPAB is a very ambitious record, which you can tell by the people he worked with. There's no way he would have worked with Kamasi Washington, Flying Lotus, Thundercat et al earlier in his career. The tone of the record is also something that's pretty fresh within hip-hop.

I see where you are coming from, but that's just how the record sounds to me. I'm not saying the whole album is a rehash, but GKMC was a massive slap around the face and TPAB didn't have that same impact. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

just out of interest, how long ago was this?

I suspect it might have been a pencilled-in option at one time, but I'm pretty sure that Kendrick isn't on the Other now.

So the next thought is: couldn't he do it, or was he moved elsewhere...?

I recall sending you a PM Neil in like February so I would say around then. Perhaps Disclosure were the original Sub for Adele and they swapped them over?

Between Kendrick and Beyonce i think Kendrick is more likely, firstly because i think Beyonce is too big for subbing the Pyramid, like she's playing Wembley Stadium on her tour. Radiohead i can understand because they seem to be playing low slots across the board on their tour this year. Also her performance has the potential to dwarf Adele's, and then also she headlined in 2011, i haven't ever seen a band go from headlining to subbing glastonbury before. Especially when they've only gone on to get bigger. Kendrick makes a lot more sense because it'll be the first time he's played Glastonbury and he's going straight on to play a sub slot at BST afterwards.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

yup ... that 1st June date just screams something contractual for a big act at me, and if it's something to do with the act before Adele then Kendrick seems the most obvious one.

Then again, it's just occurred to me that the idea suggested to me of Beyonce would work for that too, as she has UK dates from the end of June. If she is playing this year there's almost-certainly something in place to protect the sales of her own shows.

I hadn't noticed before how close Beyonce's UK tour dates are to Glasto... Just the one English date left to sell out too.... new album out, subbing with a set heavy from this and the previous album...

3 minutes ago, Finding leto14 said:

BST surely can't claim an exclusive when they play at the biggest festival and it will be screened to millions. Doesn't make sense

They can and do. When the tickets were/on sale, BST had an exclusive with him and you could not buy tickets to see him anywhere else. If he plays Glastonbury after the BST date, they still had an exclusive. Plus Glasto is widely seen to be exempt from the 'festival exclusive' but are happy to be friendly to other promoters and withhold announcements.

I can't see Beyonce taking that slot. I can't see an American headline act the size of Beyonce, who has headlined before, agreeing to play as a sub headliner. As mentioned I think it's much more likely she'll make an appearance with Coldplay.

Kendrick and Radiohead seem like much more viable options. I think if there were not rumblings about Radiohead, Kendrick would be the clear stand out choice.

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Potentially both? Sub with a 'new album set', stay the night offsite and return on Sun to pop on with Chris and the lads.

Nah I dont think she would sub, this she would come on with coldplay for a song together and they might play one of hers.

57 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nope.

I don't even know for sure they'll be an announcement on wednesday, just that some stuff is scheduled to be announced no sooner than wednesday.

Next Wednesday is three weeks before gates open. I would expect a huge information dump of everything - lineup, stage breaks and set times.

They usually drop the times 2-3 weeks before gates so it fits about right.

Haven't we usually had word from the programme printers by now?

18 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Doesn't Kendrick have US dates ruling him out or has that changed?

Yeah it actually was a mistake, turns out those dates are the end of july and not the end of june. So over Glastonbury he's likely to be in the UK as it's just before his BST gig.

Edited by Acid_Haze