Next Announcement thread

Matt42

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I didn't actually say anything about where they could play for the record

That's fair enough. 

Still though, The National would want a fairly decent slot and it seems that all of those are taken at the minute. Unless they accepted headlining a smaller stage, which I can't imagine they nor Latitude would be keen on!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Festival Liam said:

Can you imagine how The National will go down with people waiting for Adele? (I'll probably be bored off my tits personally). Kendrick please! Although I dunno how much better he would go down..

Kendrick has the mass appeal to appease that crowd. Everybody won't like it, but of the realistic options, he's definitely the one that makes the most sense to me

I'm not sure what an Adele fan is, or how many will be at Glastonbury?

She has pretty universal appeal based on her records sales (and the number of people I know who saw her tour), don't think any potentials subs could be excluded on the basis of her 'crowd'.

2 minutes ago, blackred said:

She has pretty universal appeal based on her records sales (and the number of people I know who saw her tour), don't think any potentials subs could be excluded on the basis of her 'crowd'.

I can't see the sub having any connection to Adele or her music at all. Something totally different and all along I have thought it would be Faithless (or perhaps hoped) but that is now dwindling in my mind.

Whoever subs Adele and whether or not Radiohead are on the poster I have a lovely feeling there will be 5 or 6 really nice surprises.

8 minutes ago, blackred said:

Well if we're going about generalising, her key demographics are Mums and Capital FM listeners. On that basis, Ellie Goulding would have been a far more suitable sub for Adele than any of the agreed candidates, so the fact they've stuck Ellie on another day suggests to me they're going for something not quite so tailored to Adele's audience. Regardless though, let's be real here, it isn't going to be The National.

(sorry edited for clarity )

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Well if we're going about generalising, the safest statement is that she's music mainly for Mums and Capital FM listeners. In truth Ellie Goulding would have been a far more suitable sub than any of the agreed candidates, so the fact they've stuck her on another day suggests to me they're going for something not quite so tailored to Adele's audience. Either way it isn't going to be The National, let's be real here.

Perhaps Ellie Goulding is subbing Coldplay because Radiohead are the other sub, and there's no chance Thom and the lads would have agreed to play before them? So they went with Goulding before Coldplay so RH could go before Adele?

Aye, they'll be only too aware at the criticisms levelled at Adele around her being to ballad-y. Neil mentioned months ago that he thought they'd go for something more upbeat or rocky beforehand which I think makes sense. 

Radiohead have the tunes to be the rock act, Kendrick would blow the roof off the place (metaphorically hopefully).

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Perhaps Ellie Goulding is subbing Coldplay because Radiohead are the other sub, and there's no chance Thom and the lads would have agreed to play before them? So they went with Goulding before Coldplay so RH could go before Adele?

I don't see why RH would decline Coldplay but agree to sub Adele: for all the criticisms that can be levelled at Coldplay, I don't think 'less interesting than Adele' is one

I'm not sure where all the Capital FM listeners and Mum's go their tickets though, perhaps there was a special presale for them?

Adele's gonna pull a generic Pyramid crowd, it's pretty much going to be the same as Coldplay's (but bigger). Don't think any artist is going to get a bad reaction just because they are subbing Adele unless they just aren't suitable for Pyramid sub anyway.

Personally would prefer Kendrick out of the names floated, but see no reason The National wouldn't work. Reckon it will end up being someone shite anyway, still feeling the burn from the last couple of years...

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I don't see why RH would decline Coldplay but agree to sub Adele: for all the criticisms that can be levelled at Coldplay, I don't think 'less interesting than Adele' is one

I do actually find Coldplay to be less interesting than Adele. Strange but true.

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I'd dearly love Kendrick to play but I think I'd rather wait to see him headline next year than sub Adele. He'd die a death in front of that crowd :(

to be fair that will be hard crowd to play to, she will kill it  I have no doubt. the  demographic will be totally different than that that would see Kendrick

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Saturday night has the biggest headliner, so, in theory, it should also have the biggest sub.

It didn't work like that with Stones/Primal Scream mind, but maybe that's an exception.

Edited by Alan_C

8 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Adele is a complete coup for the festival and the biggest artist in the world today, probably a one off. Coldplay are the house band.

Just now, shuttlep said:

to be fair that will be hard crowd to play to, she will kill it  I have no doubt. the  demographic will be totally different than that that would see Kendrick

Exactly. Stick Kendrick on the Other and give the pre-Adele masses Disclosure featuring guest appearances from Sam Smith and Lorde, it seems so simple.

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Exactly. Stick Kendrick on the Other and give the pre-Adele masses Disclosure featuring guest appearances from Sam Smith and Lorde, it seems so simple.

i think you should email the eavis's and offer your services as a booker

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I would love them to have done something really unexpected and not even mentioned, like having the Human League subbing Adele or something like that!

8 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Well, Adele is the biggest artist in the world right now and I don't think Radiohead would like to play before an act that, to be honest, 'borrowed' a lot of their ideas. Coldplay are their contemporaries, and subbing them would require a much smaller ego than subbing Adele :P

I just wanted to chip in and say that Adele does have a large fan base that aren't mum's over 40, im a 27 year old male with a mixed musical taste and I cant wait to see Adele, I also know plenty of other people in my demographic and similar demographics that are looking forward to her 

For me Radiohead subbing Adele would be absolute perfection 

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Well, Adele is the biggest artist in the world right now and I don't think Radiohead would like to play before an act that, to be honest, 'borrowed' a lot of their ideas. Coldplay are their contemporaries, and subbing them would require a much smaller ego than subbing Adele :P

I guess. Any normal act subbing Adele is going to be utterly overshadowed and probably forgotten about for all but the time they're literally on stage, a booking with rarity value - that RH have in spades - is probably the only way around that.