2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd been struggling to think who could be in the mix for WH headliners. Justice would be perfect for it and I've never seen them so would take it opposite Sheeran (though I'm still praying that NIN will be on the Other Stage opposite him - I've got this idea in my head now and I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come off).

12 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

How have you not heard bowie's album yet. Is was the first new album of the year. 

Possibly. 

I'm a busy man you see. People to see, things to do.

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

also, somebody found an old unreleased Sufjan album in the bin

http://www.factmag.com/2016/07/08/unreleased-sufjan-stevens-album-found-in-dumpster/

not much interest in listening to it myself but i'm sure others will

The puns alone make that album a 10/10.

On 08/07/2016 at 10:02 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Justice have announced a new album coming out before the end of the year. 

Hopefully puts them in the mix as a possible West Holts headliner for next year too. 

Ooh! I didn't realise this and just suggested them as possible Park headliners, or at least a DJ set. A new album could set them up nicely for WH, though. I'd say they'd sub, though.

Listening to Cross now. Really great stuff.

I'd like to sign up to the 'excited for new Justice material and the possibility of them playing a decent slot next year' team.

They were one of the highlights of my Bestival 2012, at the time I didn't know much about them (other than a couple of the more popular tracks) but loved every second.

Generally terrible at finding new music / bands (and I know they're not gong to be new to most people!), so this thread is proving to be a lifesaver.  Special kudos to @SwedgeAntilles for pointing me at Justice and @Mardyfor Teleman.  Loving both of these.  Disappointed with the new Biffy album though...

EDIT: Just come across Justice's live sample of Master Of Puppets.  I now f*cking love them.

Edited by Quark

Has any band had a greater number of listenable side projects than Hot Chip?  Even the touring members have their own band, two I've discovered this week.  Firstly, their own Howard Moon impersonator (Rob Smoughton) has this Americana influenced outfit Black Peaches:

Then the dreamy Sarah Jones solo project under the name Pillow Person:

I've still not listened to Alexis's solo album. It's a good job they don't let the entire band write a track each.  I think my head would explode at the variety.

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've still not listened to Alexis's solo album. It's a good job they don't let the entire band write a track each.  I think my head would explode at the variety.

I like it, it's very specific in terms of mood and I don't wake up every morning without top of my list of things to listen to but it's good

Why is there talk of Justice for West Holts? They don't seem that West Holtsy to me...as much as it would be a good arena to see them.

Mind you, they would be difficult to place - especially since you need them either in a tent or the dark ideally. You could put them headlining one of the Silver Hayes arenas, also Fatboy Slim played John Peel this year so Justice headlining it could be a good alternative. 

29 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Why is there talk of Justice for West Holts? They don't seem that West Holtsy to me...as much as it would be a good arena to see them.

Mind you, they would be difficult to place - especially since you need them either in a tent or the dark ideally. You could put them headlining one of the Silver Hayes arenas, also Fatboy Slim played John Peel this year so Justice headlining it could be a good alternative. 

Disclosure and Underworld have done it in recent years so not too far fetched I think, although yeah they could easily do JP as well. But as always, WH is the dream venue. Would be incredible. I'll take am absolutely anywhere though as long as they aren't part of some awful clash 

Edited by FloorFiller

new Brand New EP released. unfortunately it's just three reworkings of 2006 demos, but it'll do for now! now if they could get back to that fucking new album instead of pottering over decade old songs that most of us have heard already that'd be swell

http://pitchfork.com/news/66744-brand-new-release-new-ep-3-demos-reworked/?mbid=social_facebook

edit: (although listening to these three songs now, they are really really great. amazing how much fantastic material they had around The Devil and God period. their recent fascination with that era material has sure got me hopeful for the new'un)

Edited by FloorFiller

11 hours ago, Quark said:

New Shura album came out on Friday, well worth a listen.  I'd not come across her before but picked up the single Nothing's Real on a new music playlist and downloaded the album last night.  Really rather good.

Yep. I mean I'd enjoyed her songs so far and was looking forward to hearing this album, but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. Proper solid debut and bags of potential.