2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12 July 2016 at 9:01 AM, Quark said:

New Shura album came out on Friday, well worth a listen.  I'd not come across her before but picked up the single Nothing's Real on a new music playlist and downloaded the album last night.  Really rather good.

Agreed. Literally knew nothing about her, saw it as one of Spotify's new albums and put it on. Great listen. 

Would've caught her (and Haelos) however all the other stages were starting off brilliantly so had to swerve. She'll be back, though.

Great new sounds from Justice and Preoccupations. Here's new Peej...

P.S. y'all sleeping on Blank Face LP until the p4k review or what?

Edited by dentalplan

21 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

New stuff from Scottish duo Honeyblood. I was a big fan of their first album, I like this for starters 

Yeah Honeyblood are cool, I preferred their slightly slower stuff like 'Super Rat' or 'Bud'` but I hope they get booked next year. Saw them before but they played the second stage at Victorious which had awful sound. Would be nice to see them play somewhere good.

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah Honeyblood are cool, I preferred their slightly slower stuff like 'Super Rat' or 'Bud'` but I hope they get booked next year. Saw them before but they played the second stage at Victorious which had awful sound. Would be nice to see them play somewhere good.

I've seen them in a few small tight venues in Glasgow, they rock quite hard live actually. I look forward to hearing a full record 

They'd make nice lunchtime Park or JP listening 

31 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I've seen them in a few small tight venues in Glasgow, they rock quite hard live actually. I look forward to hearing a full record 

They'd make nice lunchtime Park or JP listening 

They're playing the Hug and Pint on Great Western Road on the 26th September. Not sure what the capacity is there but I can imagine they'll shift the tickets for that pretty quickly. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick one up on payday.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

They're playing the Hug and Pint on Great Western Road on the 26th September. Not sure what the capacity is there but I can imagine they'll shift the tickets for that pretty quickly. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick one up on payday.

It's already sold out matey, it only holds about 150/200 maximum. I didn't bother trying, it's on a Monday night, which is far from ideal 

13 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

It's already sold out matey, it only holds about 150/200 maximum. I didn't bother trying, it's on a Monday night, which is far from ideal 

Ha, ach well, sure I'll see them again fairly soon. As you said earlier they'd be great on The Park next year

On 7/7/2016 at 3:20 PM, FloorFiller said:

unfortunately missed Hinds in favour of Kamasi Washington. hoping they play nearby soon!

Hinds have just announced dates in Manc, Glasgow, Bristol and London at the end of Nov/early Dec. Bit of a bastard that the Bristol date is the same as Tourist, but I'll probably go for Hinds again.

On 7/5/2016 at 10:29 PM, Mardy said:

I'd really recommend that new Souljazz compilation of experimental 1970s Venezulean music. Some nice stuff on there

Having been to a shitload of gigs and Glasto over the last few months I haven't had a chance to dig for new tunes. Have spent the week searching for new stuff I like. With not much success. A lot of it seems to be punchy rock music we've all heard a millions times before. 

This is superb though! Nice one. Made my morning. 

Just about anything issued on Soul Jazz is worth tracking down, but agree that the Venezuelan 70 one is a belter.  Appropriately enough it kind of exists in this sort of floaty space between contemporaneous stuff from Brazil and Colombia but with just as much of a US influence, and winds up sounding like not much else.

Got a mate in Caracas that I need to hit up to see what he makes of it.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep thought it was ace at Glastonbury and the studio version sounds great too. Stoked for this new album

Howlin' is possibly my favourite album to come out in the last 5 years. Very happy to have something more on the way from this band. Gonna get tickets for their Leeds show, lovely birthday gift for myself.

On 7/13/2016 at 8:38 PM, FloorFiller said:

nope, it's bloody brilliant. obviously pretty long but couldn't name a dud track on there personally. Big Body is getting a lot of plays from me. big tune

It's one of those albums I can appreciate, but don't necessarily enjoy if that makes sense?  Just not my thing, but giving it a second go at the moment.

That's a shame. It bangs from start to fini. Is it the gangster rap element that holds it back for you? It is quite a dark record but carries it off well, a bit like Summertime 06.

I was surprised when I found out he'd added more to Groovy Tony as it was excellent before, but it's somehow even better.