Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

By the time this year has that many acts, it'll be every bit as strong if not stronger this year 

Oh absolutely. I would say that this years line up poster is the strongest out of the last 3 "first posters" we've received in its current format (3 columns). Nothing tho will beat getting that poster in 2013 right off the bat. I dont think i worked for 2 days.

2 hours ago, AdamWillingham said:

I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks the acts announced so far are weak. Yes the headliners aren't blowing me (or anyone) away but Glastonbury have managed to get the biggest act in the world right now (Adele), and one of the biggest bands in the world right now (Coldplay) to headline their festival, they may not be to everyones tastes but they are going to go down a storm with fans no doubt. 

As for the rest of the "line up". For starters only 68 acts have been announced SO FAR and within those 68 there is a large reach of different genres, we've got The 1975, Years & Years etc for the R1 listeners, we've got plenty of pop acts, Coldplay, Ellie Goulding, Jess Glyne, and then some fantastic musicians, Kamasi Washington, Kurt Vile, LCD Soundsystem, Sigur Ros, the legendary Art Garfunkel. 

Firstly, what we have SO FAR isn't the "line up" its a list of 68 acts announced SO FAR, yes there will be more coming and one of them may or may not be Radiohead.

If you have listened to everyone that has been announced SO FAR and you aren't a fan of any of them then I understand you saying the "line up" isn't to your tastes. But I doubt everyone here has listened to everyone, I'm sure there will be people on this "line up" and the full line up that people haven't heard. Here is a novel idea maybe go out and listen to some of those artists before you go or just rock up at random sets you're bound to enjoy it. I challenge someone to show a more diverse line up at a festival this year, cause I for sure can't find one. 

If the only reason you are keeping your ticket is because Radiohead MIGHT be playing, then get rid of it now. If you are that bothered about Radiohead you should've got tickets for their London or Europe gigs. 

Radiohead are good, but they aren't the only fucking band in the world. And, in my opinion there are better acts that appear on this "line up". 

It's simple if you're not impressed with what you've seen so far, don't go. Radiohead or no Radiohead. 

In the end though, the music is the footnote of the weekend. The food, drink, friends, atmosphere, and pure spectacle is what makes Glastonbury so wonderful. If you just want music go to T in the Park or Reading/Leeds. 

End of rant and back to revising for my degree. 

I also think this is one of the weakest Glastonbury's line up for many many years. I have listened to all the bands on the list and have been at every Glastonbury since 2000, and apart from a few that I would like to watch (John Grant, LCD) there really isn't anything essential at all. This year the headliners are really showing the direction the festival is heading (Adele really would be no where near the festival 6/7 years ago). It's a shame but I accept that what it is, but will have the time of my life regardless.

Equally I love Sigur Rós, but they are not that great live and last time at Glastonbury and Besitval we walked away because it really wasn't engaging at all as a live performance, its a shame but it is what we are left with

Edited by Voucher Boy

3 minutes ago, Voucher Boy said:

Equally I love Sigur Rós, but they are not that great live and last time at Glastonbury and Besitval we walked away because it really wasn't engaging at all as a live performance, its a shame but it is what we are left with

Really? I think you're genuinely the first person I've ever seen say that. I get that the Bestival performance wasn't great given that it was in daylight but I was blown away when I saw them, still one of my favourite gigs. 

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Really? I think you're genuinely the first person I've ever seen say that. I get that the Bestival performance wasn't great given that it was in daylight but I was blown away when I saw them, still one of my favourite gigs. 

Usher Hall KC? Fantastic gig, only time I've seen them live and it was superb 

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

Usher Hall KC? Fantastic gig, only time I've seen them live and it was superb 

Oh I was at that one too and yeah it was great but I meant the SECC gig they did earlier that year. I'd only been into them for a couple of months and hadn't seen too many live videos so I wasn't too sure what to expect but it was fantastic. I was at a Courteeners gig the night before and I don't think I've ever seen such a change in crowds between two gigs :lol:

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Really??

They themselves apologised for the Bestival gig, and then when they headlined the other stage I don't think I've ever witnessed an area empty so much (apart from Gorrilaz). 

4 minutes ago, Voucher Boy said:

... and have been at every Glastonbury since 2000 ,,, there really isn't anything essential at all.

Isn't that the point? Anyone who has been to Glasto for the last 10-15 years would have seen, or at least had the opportunity to see, the headliners (not Adele) a few times already, so its hardly inspiring for them. I think I would be well excited if I hadn't already seen them before, they are all great live bands

Saying that, I think its a cracking line up already, the undercard for me is special, and will keep getting better as the rest of the lineup gets announced (as proven by Subgiant self conforming today - I am well chuffed)

Its all about personal tastes after all, and I think the more times you go, the more you look at, and appreciate, the smaller stages, to find 'great' music. I do anyway!The lineup I am looking forward to hearing the most is Williams Green after all!

1 minute ago, Voucher Boy said:

Really??

They themselves apologised for the Bestival gig, and then when they headlined the other stage I don't think I've ever witnessed an area empty so much (apart from Gorrilaz). 

Fair enough. I'd recommend giving them another go if they're not clashing with anyone else you want to see but fair play if it's not your thing live.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Fair enough. I'd recommend giving them another go if they're not clashing with anyone else you want to see but fair play if it's not your thing live.

Sorry I may sound like a very grumpy person. I've seen them live over 6/7 times at festivals and their own gigs and I love their music immensly but live they really don't have the presence I have seen from other bands. Be it classical performances that have blown me away or bands I don't know that have an energy that have taken my breath away, but each to their own and I'm happy that people enjoy it. To me if a band needs to have a 'show' to appreciate the music then there is something not quite right. I'm probably old fashioned though.  

1 minute ago, Voucher Boy said:

Sorry I may sound like a very grumpy person. I've seen them live over 6/7 times at festivals and their own gigs and I love their music immensly but live they really don't have the presence I have seen from other bands. Be it classical performances that have blown me away or bands I don't know that have an energy that have taken my breath away, but each to their own and I'm happy that people enjoy it. To me if a band needs to have a 'show' to appreciate the music then there is something not quite right. I'm probably old fashioned though.  

Oh fair enough, I thought you had just seen them the two times you mentioned but if you've seen them that many times and not enjoyed it then I guess it's just not your thing.

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Isn't that the point? Anyone who has been to Glasto for the last 10-15 years would have seen, or at least had the opportunity to see, the headliners (not Adele) a few times already, so its hardly inspiring for them. I think I would be well excited if I hadn't already seen them before, they are all great live bands

Saying that, I think its a cracking line up already, the undercard for me is special, and will keep getting better as the rest of the lineup gets announced (as proven by Subgiant self conforming today - I am well chuffed)

Its all about personal tastes after all, and I think the more times you go, the more you look at, and appreciate, the smaller stages, to find 'great' music. I do anyway!The lineup I am looking forward to hearing the most is Williams Green after all!

I agree with this in principal. But on the other hand,I like to always have one large act that is headlining that I feel genuinely excited about and that under normal circumstances you might pay around £100 to see. This year I just don't have that (currently) So at this moment I dont see it as such good a value for money as in previous years.

That Bestival performance was so boring that for at least the last 3 years I'd completely forgotten I was there. Until people started mentioning apologies in this thread and I looked it up and saw some photos I would have sworn I'd never seen Sigur Ros. My god they were shit.

2 hours ago, Voucher Boy said:

(Adele really would be no where near the festival 6/7 years ago)

Bollocks. Kylie was booked to headline in 2005, Beyonce in 2011. Unless your point is that specifically 6/7 years ago was some some sort of 'we don't book pop' haven in between eras of booking pop. Which would be a really strange point.

19 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

Bollocks. Kylie was booked to headline in 2005, Beyonce in 2011. Unless your point is that specifically 6/7 years ago was some some sort of 'we don't book pop' haven in between eras of booking pop. Which would be a really strange point.

<< loud whip noise with accompanying mime gesture >>

Well played Sir.

1 hour ago, theevilfridge said:

And while we're on the subject..

The Communards headlined in the 80s. Shakespears Sister headlined in the 90s. The claim that pop acts wouldn't have headlined in the past is usually laughably wrong - in most cases the biggest change isn't in the booking policy, it's that many of the larger acts would have rejected the Festival as being beneath them in the past whereas these days the event has a much higher profile.

7 minutes ago, incident said:

And while we're on the subject..

The Communards headlined in the 80s. Shakespears Sister headlined in the 90s. The claim that pop acts wouldn't have headlined in the past is usually laughably wrong - in most cases the biggest change isn't in the booking policy, it's that many of the larger acts would have rejected the Festival as being beneath them in the past whereas these days the event has a much higher profile.

Spot on. Never mind the fact that indie darlings The Smiths were once seen by the old guard as terribly, terribly beneath the festival.

Times change, it's a broad church.

14 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

The last time Sigur Ros played Glastonbury I went to watch them after a blizzard of hype but was left pretty disappointed and walked away about halfway through.

Edited by ericlered