Glastocam!

pauladam

32 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The theory is everything is starting earlier in case of covid delays, someone’s partner posted on here saying the fence build starts today, so hopefully sooner than Friday but you’d assume no later than Friday, especially as it’s now already Tuesday.

Not sure what the point of posting all of that was other then watch this space I guess.

I'm not sold on the "earlier due to COVID" theory at all.

Some of the activity we've seen to date is earlier than usual, but so far that hasn't really been stuff that needs to sit as part of the "main" timetable. Dressing the Pyramid, setting up the Long Drops, etc is all handled by the farm workers who are on site year round and can sort it around their own schedule.

Installing the staging at the Pyramid / Other / West Holts is done by Serious Stages who are based literally just down the road from the festival. As long as the equipment isn't needed elsewhere between now and the end of June then it benefits them to get in and set up early - having large parts of Glastonbury already sorted means they can more dedicate resources at the appropriate time to Download, IOW, and others where the land is rented and so they need to build and break as quickly as possible.

The fence always starts going up around now goes up about now - first week in May is the usual rule of thumb, so that appears to be consistent with the usual schedule.

The only thing that appears new is the Bunkabins front and centre, and that could be for any number of reasons - such as the spare accommodation at the farmhouse being held for Emily's Ukrainian friends, or just that usually they're located out of view.

53 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

There's a point to everything my friend! Of course although they're starting today we might not see it on the webcam until later this week.

Does anyone actually know where they start with the fence? Is there a logical starting point?

Presumably they can start anywhere?

Pure guesswork, but I’d have thought that they would start with sections that would least impact the other work first. 

They would need to keep easy access for areas that are still being farmed or having big builds. To me that would probably mean starting along the South side first. Which is where we first see it. 

Another laydown/parking area being constructed to the right, previously these areas have been cut for silage before the trackway goes in, so they are sacrificing grass.

Screen towers are up over a month earlier than 2019. So with that, more equipment being bought in and the screen towers have been beefed up - has to be a major upgrade to the screens?

19 minutes ago, incident said:

The only thing that appears new is the Bunkabins front and centre, and that could be for any number of reasons - such as the spare accommodation at the farmhouse being held for Emily's Ukrainian friends, or just that usually they're located out of view.

Bunkabins were spotted arriving on the back of a lorry in 2019 but I don't think we ever saw where they went, so probably just a location change.

4 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Screen towers are up over a month earlier than 2019. So with that, more equipment being bought in and the screen towers have been beefed up - has to be a major upgrade to the screens?

Towers were up by this time in 2017 so that in itself doesn’t mean there’ll be much difference. The screens themselves don’t normally go up until last minute along with the PA and lighting and that.

I guess in general they probably just crack on with jobs as and when they can. Some years the requisite kit will arrive on site earlier or later than others. Weather might delay things or bring things forward etc

55 minutes ago, kalifire said:

You're right! Here's another screenshot from the same video.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2022_05.03-18_11_14.thumb.jpg.e432cd8b1ba5cf8d11b1394e169fdebf.jpg

Probably a stupid question, but how far down into the ground do the vertical supports go and would it be a case of drilling down fresh holes (you can tell I have no clue with this shit) every year? 

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I don't know but knowing this thread it won't be long before we know so much that we'll even know what the driver of it had for tea last night.

7 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

To the park glasto /on sea area

Yep, looks like it's parked up near G-o-S.

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

it won't be long before we know so much that we'll even know what the driver of it had for tea last night.

I don’t want to know whose diving into the long drops to find out. 

That’s got me on a bizarre train of thought. I’ve never been on site early, are the long drops completely bone dry to start with or is there a some water in there right at the start for dilution purposes. 

Just in case anyone isn't border to tears by pyramid screen speculation yet, I'm really busy at work so obviously I just spent some time doing this instead...

image.thumb.jpeg.d9d8db6e9720a05098277c8ec2948325.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ddf1b0363dbff65ed1947ea3179de2a7.jpeg

2019 + 2022

image.thumb.jpeg.e120187ef67ea85d54d0ad92271a9c5e.jpeg

So almost identical in size. Certainly the exact same height, maybe a metre wider at most 🙂

I would of used 2017 for a cleaner comparison but I can't get the images up on the archive anymore?

Dunno about everyone else but I hope that if there are new screens they aren't too big, they will distract from the majesty of the surroundings etc. You could be stood in a field looking at ginormous overbearing screens anywhere.

I have so much work to do lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t want to know whose diving into the long drops to find out. 

That’s got me on a bizarre train of thought. I’ve never been on site early, are the long drops completely bone dry to start with or is there a some water in there right at the start for dilution purposes. 

They are empty apart from rainwater

25 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Looking at the site right now, it's incredible to think what they have left to set up in fifty days

I’ve been peripherally involved in quite a few big events for work - more trade shows and such than anything on the scale of Glastonbury! - and I’ve always been amazed at how close to the wire they get with the set up. Often still looks like a construction site just hours before opening but somehow it all comes together.

I’d never be able to cope with the stress, but total respect to events professionals - genuine miracle workers. 😁

18 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I’ve been peripherally involved in quite a few big events for work - more trade shows and such than anything on the scale of Glastonbury! - and I’ve always been amazed at how close to the wire they get with the set up. Often still looks like a construction site just hours before opening but somehow it all comes together.

I’d never be able to cope with the stress, but total respect to events professionals - genuine miracle workers. 😁

It's crazy. From what you can see on the camera alone, it looks like 90% plus of the festival left to setup. That's why I'd love to see a multi-part documentary covering all aspects of the festival build-up