Glastocam!

pauladam

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I guess if the screens were that humongous you could still have the speakers hanging in front of it? Reading did but only the one pair:

917E1336-3770-4505-89D3-DD066F59DE6D.jpeg

Not a fan of that, it makes my OCD itch lol

Edited by Junglist1981

20 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

How do they relocate the stages in exactly the same position each year? Are there precise coordinates or something?

They will use bearing lines from fixed features on site. Some of the more long term stages may even have permanent footings that are used each year. 

It’s quite easy to locate where you are on the ground with the right equipment. GPS theodolites are available these days but I can imagine them using the traditional compass and ruler technique with a plan printed on paper. 

There will probably be an accurate CAD model of the whole site. I’d love to get a copy of that. 

28 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

How do they relocate the stages in exactly the same position each year? Are there precise coordinates or something?

Don’t all the big stages have permanent foundations? Obviously the Pyramid structure stays, but I thought at least Other, JPT and West Holts had concrete footings. 

Dunno about everything else though. I mean, they could get within a few mm based on known reference points and a good bit of theodolite work… but OTOH not sure that precision is really necessary. 

The SEC is probably the most space critical given how things are crammed in. One venue being out of place could have a knock on effect on lots of others… Must be a challenge!

As with so many things about the festival I’d love to find out more… We need a behind the scenes documentary on the build up.  🙂

ETA: @squirrelarmy beat me to it!

Edited by jimmillen

41 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

The additional post implies a heavier load right? What else might require that?

Not necessarily - the previous version technically had 4 posts, as they doubled up the trussing on each side.

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

They will use bearing lines from fixed features on site. Some of the more long term stages may even have permanent footings that are used each year. 

It’s quite easy to locate where you are on the ground with the right equipment. GPS theodolites are available these days but I can imagine them using the traditional compass and ruler technique with a plan printed on paper. 

There will probably be an accurate CAD model of the whole site. I’d love to get a copy of that. 

They probably used to use paper and compasses, but surely it would be far easier these days to use GPS?

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You could spend the whole five days scanning it with this: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/polycam-lidar-3d-scanner/id1532482376

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Don’t all the big stages have permanent foundations? Obviously the Pyramid structure stays, but I thought at least Other, JPT and West Holts had concrete footings.

Nope, just the Pyramid.

West Holts especially has been shifted slightly (while remaining in approximately the same place) a few times over the past 25 years, as they keep tweaking the angles and how far from the path it is.

The stages used are generic structures that can be put up pretty much anywhere.

Just now, incident said:

Nope, just the Pyramid.

West Holts especially has been shifted slightly (while remaining in approximately the same place) a few times over the past 25 years, as they keep tweaking the angles and how far from the path it is.

The stages used are generic structures that can be put up pretty much anywhere.

Fair enough! I’m not sure why I thought that then… vague memories of reading something about it being done after the debacle of ‘97 when the Other stage started sinking in the mud. Must have got the details wrong anyway. 

Guess temporary stage structures have probably improved quite a bit since then anyway. 🙂

42 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I guess if the screens were that humongous you could still have the speakers hanging in front of it? Reading did but only the one pair:

917E1336-3770-4505-89D3-DD066F59DE6D.jpeg

They actually did have 2 pairs, but you could only really see the outermost stack when out wide - 

0AD20CC6-2143-4279-92E9-6B2B48617470.png

57 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Interestingly that 3 post set up looks similar to the reading build where they had the huge wraparound screens...

JS44043695.jpg

Good work.

I wonder if this is something Melvin is bringing to the party?

Edited by Gnomicide

48 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Me neither it screens all kind of wrong at me … why have beautiful screens and then block them ?! 

I would have said exactly the same, but you just didn’t really notice the speakers at all.  All I noticed was how massive the wraparound screens were - they really were incredible.

BA49B8C8-E022-42C9-92D8-5D3B18F9444E.jpeg

Edited by circus92

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I would have said exactly the same, but you just didn’t really notice the speakers at all.  All I noticed was how massive the wraparound screens were - they really were incredible.

FDFB0C84-48FE-4C3A-AB84-5BE23F3DB8FF.png

Realistically even if you had the same speaker set up on the Pyramid with four speakers hanging down separately, the action bits could still be framed on the middle of the speakers without them blocking any footage of whoever was performing.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Realistically even if you had the same speaker set up on the Pyramid with four speakers hanging down separately, the action bits could still be framed on the middle of the speakers without them blocking any footage of whoever was performing.

Exactly - the bits where the speakers hung down were really on the periphery of the video so you just didn't really notice

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Footpath closures are from Tue so I’d imagine Monday ( tomorow ) will be the latest and we also expect to see signs of the fence appearing then to 

Oh Thanks Crazy,

Tomorrow it is - rain or shine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to park?

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Good work.

I wonder if this is something Melvin is bringing to the party?

Lets hope - the R&L main stage(s) are great, glastonbury is far behind the times in this aspect.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The aspect ratio of the pyramid ones still seems all wrong for those big screens but you never know, seems like they’d have to be big portrait sized ones?

Possibly something like these from Macca's opening tour date?