Glastocam!

pauladam

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If only they could do full wrap around like over here on the west coast. the corner screens raise up when switching out set ups.

311B5490-E044-4138-B7CA-69FC413735CB.jpeg

0EEE1C19-E001-4A1B-A8EA-6F57CFD0B73B.jpeg

The Pyramid is globally iconic so not that easy to get something like that on it. Obviously retaining the Pyramid shape is more important than the screens that go with it. It would be possible on some of the other stages but we also have the elements to consider here which shapes the design of the stages to some extent.

8 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If only they could do full wrap around like over here on the west coast. the corner screens raise up when switching out set ups.

311B5490-E044-4138-B7CA-69FC413735CB.jpeg

0EEE1C19-E001-4A1B-A8EA-6F57CFD0B73B.jpeg

They look great but wouldn’t work for pyramid … interesting to see if other has an upgrade though edit see above post 

Edited by crazyfool1

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They look great but wouldn’t work for pyramid … interesting to see if other has an upgrade though edit see above post 

Yeah, i wouldnt want to take away the pyramid aesthetics away. But at least theres a change with what can be done on the visual side. The issue of course has been the screens hanging with the wind. Now those bigger ones are rested and anchored. No concerns about that anymore plus people in the back can see.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah, i wouldnt want to take away the pyramid aesthetics away. But at least theres a change with what can be done on the visual side. The issue of course has been the screens hanging with the wind. Now those bigger ones are rested and anchored. No concerns about that anymore plus people in the back can see.

These look quite interesting for Ed Sheran … it’s amazing what they can do with the screens 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

These look quite interesting for Ed Sheran … it’s amazing what they can do with the screens 

Some better angles of the screens throughout here

Went to check as I had a vague thought that the screens were moving throughout, but clearly my memory of the set is heavily affected by how much I'd been drinking... Met some Scots during who had a whole bars full of liquor in their backpack & were very insistent on sharing 🤪 They even peer pressured me to get the girlfriend on my shoulders 😂 🙈  

23 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If you want next level, Stromae's set up is where its at. Thats not trickery, theyre really moving.

Very good yeah it posses the ultimate question though … which is the budget of the festival … obviously the pit will only be so deep … would some screenage be part funded by artists or would it all come out of a budget and mean less money for charities … 

5 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The aspect ratio of the pyramid ones still seems all wrong for those big screens but you never know, seems like they’d have to be big portrait sized ones?

I think this is where this is going as well. It would probably be hard to do the wrap around with the Pyramid shape and if they did manage it, it would detract from the iconic look of the stage.

But they have to do something different as the tech they have been using is looking quite dated. Full height portrait screens have been in use for about 10 years now! And as someone else has mentioned Macca is using them in his current tour.

So my thinking is full height portrait screens for the Pyramid and wrap around screens for the other.

And I love speculating about this stuff 😀

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mark H said:

I think this is where this is going as well. It would probably be hard to do the wrap around with the Pyramid shape and if they did manage it, it would detract from the iconic look of the stage.

But they have to do something different as the tech they have been using is looking quite dated. Full height portrait screens have been in use for about 10 years now! And as someone else has mentioned Macca is using them in his current tour.

So my thinking is full height portrait screens for the Pyramid and wrap around screens for the other.

And I love speculating about this stuff 😀

I agree the tech looks dated, exacerbated further by the three year gap as well. As much as the newer screens benefit people further back, it’s just as much if not more about what it looks like on the BBC, and they will always want to be appealing to a new audience who haven’t been yet, so they definitely need to up their game either way. If you’re a young kid who went to Reading last year you won’t be that impressed watching on TV of it’s the same setup as 2019.

Either way I love speculating on it too! 

45 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Some better angles of the screens throughout here

Went to check as I had a vague thought that the screens were moving throughout, but clearly my memory of the set is heavily affected by how much I'd been drinking... Met some Scots during who had a whole bars full of liquor in their backpack & were very insistent on sharing 🤪 They even peer pressured me to get the girlfriend on my shoulders 😂 🙈  

Oh yeah that’s a much better vid …. Not so much a fan of Ed …. But like that screen concept …. 

35 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I agree the tech looks dated, exacerbated further by the three year gap as well. As much as the newer screens benefit people further back, it’s just as much if not more about what it looks like on the BBC, and they will always want to be appealing to a new audience who haven’t been yet, so they definitely need to up their game either way. If you’re a young kid who went to Reading last year you won’t be that impressed watching on TV of it’s the same setup as 2019.

Either way I love speculating on it too! 

What you see on the broadcast and whats on the screens in person are 2 totally different things anyway. But just on production overall just updating certain things is needed. Being in the top tier of festivals in the world you have to keep up with what others are doing and sound/production is one of them.  Im pretty welcome to this change cause you cant always be up close so you need to be able to see somehow.

51 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Very good yeah it posses the ultimate question though … which is the budget of the festival … obviously the pit will only be so deep … would some screenage be part funded by artists or would it all come out of a budget and mean less money for charities … 

Yeah, thats the hard thing. Glasto is limited in that area and it took them this long to upgrade the visuals. But if artists are bringing their productions its a matter of if it can be pulled off in the space provided. They would bring their own crew anyway and it has to be budgeted for. I think somebody mentioned they modified West Holts to fit the Justice production in 2017. And Tame Impala didnt bring their light donut in 2019.  Coachella bought  that whole main stage screen thing so theyve gotten a return on the investment since it debuted in 2016. You also provide a template for artists to use with all that. So even if on stage its not a high end set up, you have all that LED space to play with which is great for some who can put work in creating visuals.

16 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Is it possible they've not actually upgraded and Macca's screens will be in residence all weekend? Wasn't there a walkway one time? For Bono or Sprinty Dave or someone.

Thats a waste if you only did it for Macca. Stones had one. U2 kind of did. And you dont just loan a fest your production. Also logistics. Maccas ends his u.s shows a week before the big G. That stuffs not being flown over just for that purpose. Those screens will be up and going way before that. 

I think the biggest challenge is getting Billies production up and ready to go. Thats got a lot of elements to it, especially the LED flooring/walkway. and will she get a walkway into the crowd or not.

Edited by Suprefan

7 minutes ago, MaseTMT said:

Never noticed them being that big previously although webcam shows they are the same size. They look massive in those pics 

Agree! Don’t wish to doubt the exemplary webcam comparative size analysis. But I don’t remember the rigging being that wide in the past. Also, we can’t overlook the third support which is new. I think they might be quite a bit bigger this year.