Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

didn't mean to single you out - i've just seen a lot of bizarre ideas for who could headline West Holts. although The National is definitely one of them. standard indie singer, guitar, bass and drum acts definitely aren't something that is booked for WH - that's the stuff for Other (where The National would definitely end up), Pyramid and JP etc

Agree with this. There are three big stages for the standard four/five men with guitars combo. No need for it to bleed into WH too.

5 hours ago, russycarps said:

I think it's probably bad to sick to a rigid pattern like always having one new/one pop/one oldie as things would get stale.

But they should have ANYTHING other than the same bands returning every few years. Whoever is available, be it up and coming acts, oldies, pop, whatever. Anything is better than the same old tired names every 4 or 5 years.

So bearing this in mind, who'd be a good trio for next year?

I think Foals, Adele, The Stone Roses would be a good 'un.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

No, you're right. They are too big for that stage, and I don't think their profile has dipped yet. It's just that they're completely unsuitable to headline that stage and that came before how big they were in the things wrong with the suggestion.

Yeah - because suggestions can be wrong :) Sums up people's attiude on these boards.

Anyhow, think they're not necessarily too big. Especially since they're not an act that will attract a lot of casual viewers.

As for their style - I still think they'd be fine for WH - the great thing about the stage is that it has such a wide range of music. Personally I hate the Other Stage so would just hope they don't end up there. 

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

So bearing this in mind, who'd be a good trio for next year?

I think Foals, Adele, The Stone Roses would be a good 'un.

Yep, that would do.

Or swap adele for ed Sheehan and radiohead for stone roses would also work. 

I know they can only book who's available, but there must be other options than muse and coldplay!

3 hours ago, Vanderlyle said:

No need to be patronising about my suggestion - but I really think you might be the one mistaken about West Holts. As a matter of fact it did just start as a second stage after the Pyramid. And it's had a huge variety of bands headlining - from the Chic or Hot Chips to the Portishead and Massive Attack. I really don't think there's anything that would stop The National from headlining there.

I don't know if you've done that deliberately, but I shall be calling them Hot Chips and The Portishead from now on.

And sorry, but no way would/should the National play WH - there's already Pyramid, Other, JP, Park and William's Green for indie rock bands.

now im not saying Eddie Vedder is the greatest BUT hey seconds not bad ah and it does mean that PEARL JAM reallu really should play the biggest and best festi in the world ....

http://www.uofmusic.com/blog/5929/top-20-lead-vocalists-of-all-time

Just now, morph100 said:

Coldplay tickets to see them play a church for radio one are now selling for £4,000 - £17,000 on your sites, face value was less than £20. Wonder is if anyone buys them?

Coldplay fans are the new U2 fans. Don't underestimate the power of their love of middle of the road shite..

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I don't know if you've done that deliberately, but I shall be calling them Hot Chips and The Portishead from now on.

And sorry, but no way would/should the National play WH - there's already Pyramid, Other, JP, Park and William's Green for indie rock bands.

Haha - not purposeful. I'd starting writing "The Chics and Hot Chips" (like you'd say "The Peles and Ronaldinhos of the modern game) and then just clearly forgot that.

Anyway, going to end this TN at West Holts stuff. But in my mind there's nothing against them playing. It's a stage that has played host to The Levellers, Guillemots, Cornershop, Portishead, Massive Attack before. Nothing quite like TN - but there's nothing stopping it - and although I know it's unlikely to ever happen, would far prefer it to Other Stage or Pyramid.

[Insert your favourite band here] to headline West Holts, and don't let that boombaclart FloorFiller get you down.

I went on about Patti Smith to headline West Holts last year, I'm going on about Bon Iver to headline West Holts this year, and I don't care if society accepts it. I'll procrastinate on the internet however I like.

Robyn to headline West Holts, there's an idea. 

17 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

[Insert your favourite band here] to headline West Holts, and don't let that boombaclart FloorFiller get you down.

I went on about Patti Smith to headline West Holts last year, I'm going on about Bon Iver to headline West Holts this year, and I don't care if society accepts it. I'll procrastinate on the internet however I like.

Robyn to headline West Holts, there's an idea. 

Can I put Hot Chip forward again, can't we have Hot Chip every year, would that be too much? Can you have too much Hot Chip? 

On on a serious note though, some more of the same from Jungle and they'd be absolutely brilliant WH headliners