Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, mufcok said:

Don't know where they've got them odds from cause I can't see any Glastonbury market on William Hill. Daft odds for Adele and Muse as well

They odds aren't and won't be available to bet at anytime on WH, it's been a PR who's given NME a brief synopsis of potential odds when they've contacted WH to give them something to write about

58 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I'm really hoping for a surprise this year. Something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

i think that's almost impossible these days, but i'm definitely hoping for something other than the three acts currently looking to be the headliners. Coldplay seem all but nailed on, but the other two could really go either way, and hopefully will go the other way

lots of people in this thread saying how awful this headliner would be, how boring that headliner would be, how *insert band name* aren't as good as they were *insert number of years* ago.

Makes me wonder who ya'll would be happy with as Pyramid headliners...i'm guessing mainly bands who don't have enough pull/mainstream appeal to actually pull off a headliner set on that stage or Bowie?

Edited by Justiceforcedave

4 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

lots of people in this thread saying how awful this headliner would be, how boring that headliner would be, how *insert band name* aren't as good as they were *insert number of years* ago.

Makes me wonder who ya'll would be happy with as Pyramid headliners...i'm guessing mainly bands who don't have enough pull/mainstream appeal to actually pull off a headliner set on that stage or Bowie?

That's the rub isn't it?  The festival has painted itself into a corner regarding Pyramid headliners ; the scale of the whole festival relies heavily on huge bands in that field and on TV, and the nature of today's music industry means there's fewer and fewer of those around. 

Which is why we end up with the same few names over and over.  

Although I'm not a massive fan of either band (Coldplay and Muse) it's more the fact that they're such recent repeats that irks me more. One, fair enough, but two from the last five festivals is crap (especially for regular attendees). Adele I can get behind as she's obviously a huge coupe for the festival if they've managed to book her - I'm just not ecstatic about her myself (although I reckon, clashes pending, that id end up watching her). This is all assuming the headliners are in fact those three - remove Muse and add somebody else, even somebody I dislike, and it immediately becomes a stronger trio in my eyes

Edited by FloorFiller

I'd happily see the festival take a risk on someone like sigur ros, rather than the usual suspects. 

They've headlined festivals, sold out arenas, sold out Madison square garden etc. Why not give someone a little bit different a go?

Do the organisers have so little faith in their festival that without mainstream acts like coldplay or muse or adele the whole thing will collapse?

Edited by russycarps

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

I'd happily see the festival take a risk on someone like sigur ros, rather than the usual suspects. 

They've headlined festivals, sold out arenas, sold out Madison square garden etc. Why not give someone a little bit different a go?

I love Sigur Ros. They're fucking awesome! But would you rather see then playing to a half empty Pyramid stage where they probably won't get the love they deserve or a packed out Other Stage with a crowd full of people who appreciate them?

37 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

That's the rub isn't it?  The festival has painted itself into a corner regarding Pyramid headliners ; the scale of the whole festival relies heavily on huge bands in that field and on TV, and the nature of today's music industry means there's fewer and fewer of those around. 

Which is why we end up with the same few names over and over.  

Do we though? In the last 10 years, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys and The Who are the only repeats and the first two of those represented two very different stages in their careers. The Who are a bit of an anomalie, I assume in part because they were a fill in and maybe because they felt they didn't quite nail it the first time.

unless you meant the same names as other festivals?

35 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I love Sigur Ros. They're fucking awesome! But would you rather see then playing to a half empty Pyramid stage where they probably won't get the love they deserve or a packed out Other Stage with a crowd full of people who appreciate them?

I don't think the field would be half full. People see the pyramid headliners just because they are the pyramid headliners. And I don't think once they started they'd suffer much of a crowd bleed either. Throw hoppipolla in early too so casuals do realise they know some stuff by the band and it's job done.

What's the worst that could happen?

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I don't think the field would be half full. People see the pyramid headliners just because they are the pyramid headliners. And I don't think once they started they'd suffer much of a crowd bleed either. Throw hoppipolla in early too so casuals do realise they know some stuff by the band and it's job done.

What's the worst that could happen?

I think you're still thinking a lot of those casuals :)

But seriously, these days the festival relies so much on those big bands bringing in the punters. A few years of more leftfield Pyramid headliners and there is the potential of a contracting audience. Glasto got bills to pay!

Besides, isn't the idea of the Pyramid stage that it's big acts that the majority know? If we're going to stick Sigur Ros on the Pyramid why don't we stick Jesse J on the Park? Or Run the Jewels on the Avalon?

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Do the organisers have so little faith in their festival that without mainstream acts like coldplay or muse or adele the whole thing will collapse?

I was excited by the news that they had planned to invest plenty into the nightlife aspect of the festival to take the emphasis of the Glastonbury experience away from headliners as I thought it might have meant three new headliners every year; current big acts who - as it is currently - might not be seen as big enough to headline making new Glastonbury moments and stamping their names into history or whatever. The likes of Sigur Ros or Tame Impala, or in the interest of fairness, Ellie Goulding or Disclosure. 

Sadly if this 'four repeat headliners in the next two years' proves true then it's a nothing like that at all and not a great omen for future headliners. As you say though, they may see it as there being no room to make risky headline bookings with the Glastonbury headliners under so much scrutiny every year that it could derail the future of the festival by failing to sell out and people wanting the big name bookings will piss off to the festivals that have booked them.

Edited by dentalplan

People give attendees too much credit. The majority wouldnt know Sigur Ros. Christ, the first year I went I wandered round places that people I went with hadnt even been to and the majority had gone to 10 or more Glastonburys! If they dont explore the festival site, they damn well wont have explored anything past mainstream headliners.

Theres a HUGE chunk of the Glastonbury crowd that go there and maybe one of the big event Hyde Park festivals, and thats their live music experience for the year. They dont go to gigs, they dont care about live music. They know they should go to Glastonbury ("Well you just have to dont you, just like finding yourself in a resort in Goa, its all about the experience darliing"), they know they want a big name that they know the hits of, and they want to be able to put pics on Facebook of them in their North Face gilet with a little bit of glitter on one eye and their partner in a brand new tie dye t-shirt that they bought in H&M the week before they went.

They dont want Sigur Ros. They want safe, they want stuff that Grimmy has played them on their commute to their office in the morning, they want the classics they heard on Heart while in the juice bar.

Its too big now to take a risk, and the vast majority want what they know, and they feel comfortable with.