Headliners 2016

thewayiam

9 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

Yep - I don't mean that they need to create another fixed 'slot' amongst the headliners - but that it should be in the back of their minds as a target/aim.

Here's another question. Pick your favourite mid/large sized act. For me maybe The National - maybe Nick Cave for you - would you rather they were headlining West Holts or Pyramid? I think I'd honestly say West Holts. Would have a more fun time, would have fans around rather than douchebags talking and complaining, I know the band would get a good reaction etc.

Ah I see what you mean, I agree with you entirely.

Honestly, I'd still go for the pyramid! Down the front with the proper fans it would be mega. There is still nothing better in terms of atmosphere than the pyramid headliners I reckon

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The National headlining West Holts?

what I've taken from many people's West Holts headliner suggestions is that they think it's just the next big stage after the Pyramid and Other, and not a stage aimed at specific acts, or that they just don't get the vibe it's going for

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Honestly, I'd still go for the pyramid! Down the front with the proper fans it would be mega. There is still nothing better in terms of atmosphere than the pyramid headliners I reckon

aye, when they get it right and everything falls in to place, there's nowhere i'd rather watch an act than the Pyramid at the end of the night, which is why i get so pissy about the thought of a crap trio of headliners - makes me sad to think i won't have that feeling throughout a Pyramid set like i've had with the Stones, Arcade Fire etc

Not really relevant to next year (or the year after hopefully) but thought I'd post it:

Brandon Flowers:

Have you got a timeline of when you’re expecting fans to be able to hear some new stuff?
“No. In a perfect world I think the end of 2016 maybe, there’ll be something.”

Are you looking to do festivals next year or your own shows?
“I don’t know. We don’t want to overstay our welcomes at the festivals. I wouldn’t rule out anything but we’re really focused on this record.”

Perhaps in 2017 Glastonbury and Reading will be in your sights?
“Yeah, of course, an invitation will always be welcome!”

Read more at http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/brandon-flowers-on-the-future-of-the-killers-were-waiting-for-lightning-to-strike?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=brandonflowers#s4zid37UCFrGllhg.99

unless they have some huge surge in popularity/acclaim with the next album/any further albums, i can't see The Killers ever coming back to headline. when they headlined in 2007 it was off the back of the huge success of Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, but the interest in them has waned significantly since. V every other year seems inevitable, probably TITP there as well, and an outside chance of R/Ls

7 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Amusing that on one hand we're complaining about repeat headliners, on the other other we're still saying that Jeff and co are sub at best after 4 nights at the O2, a solid gold performance at Hyde Park last year and the first tour in 15 years :)

I don't think it's that amusing. Other acts have sold out more nights, have been away for a considerable amount of time and have glowing reviews from their fans. Take That for example.

7 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Amusing that on one hand we're complaining about repeat headliners, on the other other we're still saying that Jeff and co are sub at best after 4 nights at the O2, a solid gold performance at Hyde Park last year and the first tour in 15 years :)

That being said....you're probably right.

the repeat headliners aren;t ideal, but they don't change the fact that ELO aren't a suitable headliner. love them as you may, they just don't have the wide appeal that most Glastonbury headliners do, or the legendary status of acts such as Bowie, the Stones, The Who etc. they're just not quite there, but would comfortably take any of the three slots below headliner on the Pyramid (third or the legend slot seeming the most fitting for sure)

1 hour ago, mrtourette said:

I don't think it's that amusing. Other acts have sold out more nights, have been away for a considerable amount of time and have glowing reviews from their fans. Take That for example.

Hmmmmm, forgetting ELO totally for a second and making some (possibly incorrect) assumptions around why you've selected Take That specifically as your example, let me ask you a question as I'm curious now;  Do you believe that Take That wouldn't have been a coup for the festival had they been booked on the initial reunion/one with Robbie Williams?

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

the repeat headliners aren;t ideal, but they don't change the fact that ELO aren't a suitable headliner. love them as you may, they just don't have the wide appeal that most Glastonbury headliners do, or the legendary status of acts such as Bowie, the Stones, The Who etc. they're just not quite there, but would comfortably take any of the three slots below headliner on the Pyramid (third or the legend slot seeming the most fitting for sure)

No I see your point, maybe more suited to an Isle of Wight headline set ala Tom Petty?

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

....speaking of Tom Petty where the fuck is he at Glasto?! That guy needs to make the trip to Pilton.

i think the only position he could realistically take is as a headliner, but he just doesn't seem suitable for the festival. i think the crowd he'd pull would be pitiful

Saw Tom Petty at IoW in 2012, considering the god awful weather that night thought he played a good set. But he is a sub at best on the Pyramid. Would pull a crowd to the Park as a headliner or at a stretch the Other.

Not sure he would sign up for that though, how about a joint Petty/Lynne legend performance?

16 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Hmmmmm, forgetting ELO totally for a second and making some (possibly incorrect) assumptions around why you've selected Take That specifically as your example, let me ask you a question as I'm curious now;  Do you believe that Take That wouldn't have been a coup for the festival had they been booked on the initial reunion/one with Robbie Williams?

As headliners? No.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

what I've taken from many people's West Holts headliner suggestions is that they think it's just the next big stage after the Pyramid and Other, and not a stage aimed at specific acts, or that they just don't get the vibe it's going for

No need to be patronising about my suggestion - but I really think you might be the one mistaken about West Holts. As a matter of fact it did just start as a second stage after the Pyramid. And it's had a huge variety of bands headlining - from the Chic or Hot Chips to the Portishead and Massive Attack. I really don't think there's anything that would stop The National from headlining there.

Edited by Vanderlyle

48 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I don't think Glastonbury wanted them. I remember Emily saying something to that effect, but I can't find it.

3 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

I assume you're trying to be patronising about my suggestion - but I really think you might be the one mistaken about West Holts. As a matter of fact it did just start as a second stage after the Pyramid. And it's had a huge variety of bands headlining - from the Chic or Hot Chips to the Portishead and Massive Attack. I really don't think there's anything that would stop The National from headlining there.

Are you mixing up Other and West Holts or have I got amnesia?

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you mixing up Other and West Holts or have I got amnesia?

I'm pretty sure they've both player West Holts (or its previous incarnations) prior to their recent Other Stage shows. I had a quick look and can't find the info though.

Either way - while West Holts has always had a pretty strong world music, reggae/hip hop, electronic etc feel to it - I don't think it's ever supposed to be exclusively that, or rule out alt rock, or dance or whatever. And I think TN would be the sort of band that would go down great in the venue.

25 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

No need to be patronising about my suggestion - but I really think you might be the one mistaken about West Holts. As a matter of fact it did just start as a second stage after the Pyramid. And it's had a huge variety of bands headlining - from the Chic or Hot Chips to the Portishead and Massive Attack. I really don't think there's anything that would stop The National from headlining there.

didn't mean to single you out - i've just seen a lot of bizarre ideas for who could headline West Holts. although The National is definitely one of them. standard indie singer, guitar, bass and drum acts definitely aren't something that is booked for WH - that's the stuff for Other (where The National would definitely end up), Pyramid and JP etc

5 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Aren't The National a bit biog for that stage? I know they would have been around the release of High Violet, I guess their profile has dipped considerably since then. 

i'd say they've gotten a little bigger since then. brings up the old debate on whether they'd sub Other or headline it

1 minute ago, mrtourette said:

Aren't The National a bit biog for that stage? I know they would have been around the release of High Violet, I guess their profile has dipped considerably since then. 

No, you're right. They are too big for that stage, and I don't think their profile has dipped yet. It's just that they're completely unsuitable to headline that stage and that came before how big they were in the things wrong with the suggestion.