Headliners 2016

thewayiam

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I forgot about REM, they were starting to get the big bands already by then in that case. But do you really think that if they could have had Macca and U2 in 98 they would have gone for Primal Scream, Prodigy and Pulp? I doubt it very much. It would have been a poorer line up for it, but I get the distinct impression the era of mega headliners was primarily down to capability. As has been noted, they've painted themselves into a corner, as booking an equivalent contemporary act would be seen as settling for second best.

Yeah maybe you are right, I dunno. Headliners didn't seem to be so important back then. Whether that was because they were generally airways pretty good, or because we were younger and just didn't care I don't know.

Hopefully the coldplay/muse rumours are wrong and we can stop fretting!

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think REM in '99 were the first of the mega acts to be booked and possibly set a precedent for other big acts coming because they loved the individuality of the festival.  Bowie's booking the following year pretty much set the standard and from there on out a Glastonbury headline slot sort of became something that legendary acts were wanting to do and has almost become par for the course since I feel.

Don't get me wrong, that REM gig was one of the greatest nights of my life (They were my favourite band in my teens and I'd never got the chance to see them), but it wasn't at the peak of their career by a long chalk and really they were playing the last really well received album they released a good 3 albums after their prime.

48 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah maybe you are right, I dunno. Headliners didn't seem to be so important back then. Whether that was because they were generally airways pretty good, or because we were younger and just didn't care I don't know.

Hopefully the coldplay/muse rumours are wrong and we can stop fretting!

That's how I feel too, possibly all of the above, plus essentially no Internet + endless build up/speculation.

Regarding the headliners this year, I didn't attend, but it seemed to me to be the weakest set of headliners in years. 

39 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I think REM in '99 were the first of the mega acts to be booked and possibly set a precedent for other big acts coming because they loved the individuality of the festival.  Bowie's booking the following year pretty much set the standard and from there on out a Glastonbury headline slot sort of became something that legendary acts were wanting to do and has almost become par for the course since I feel.

Don't get me wrong, that REM gig was one of the greatest nights of my life (They were my favourite band in my teens and I'd never got the chance to see them), but it wasn't at the peak of their career by a long chalk and really they were playing the last really well received album they released a good 3 albums after their prime.

That REM gig was great for me too. As butchered the song has been over the years, hearing Everybody Hurts sung to such an emotionally responsive crowd, with a single red flare lighting up the sky above, brought a tear to my eye. No shame.

Only topped the year after with Bowie, who was an absolute dream come true. 

Looking back at all this makes me feel pretty downbeat about the potential headliners for next year. Though I know it'll still be the best weekend of the year regardless!

Edited by LeeGalvin

6 hours ago, sisco said:

Seems the same people who are bored with the repeat bookings are the same as the ones who say Biffy Clyro, Foals, Florence and the Machine, The Prodigy, Ed Sheeran and NGHFB aren't big enough to headline!! 

Sadly if bands like the above (yes I know Flo headlined in the end) aren't given the bump up then we will continue to have the same bands/acts on every album cycle.

What would people prefer?!! 

Kraftwerk or Sigur Ros :P

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

Unfortunately this is why bands like the Courteeners can get 400000 people at a concert even though it is just blah blah guitar. 20 years ago the Courteeners would be also rans like the Paris Angels or The High.

In Manchester, just Manchester...

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I stood there watching kanye and thought there was no atmosphere what so ever. People might as well have been sat in their chairs knitting.

Fairly close to true for a lot of Pyramid acts 

But Kanye was a so called "risky" booking. There felt an atmosphere of expectation before he came on...and then it just seemed to peter out. Maybe because there was a lot of curious types who wanted to hightail it after 10 minutes, maybe cause he was a bit shit....or maybe thats just the crowd at Glastonbury these days.

I'd say the "safe" headliners seem to have the better atmosphere, and I reckon thats cause people know if they are going enjoy it not and you are all in the same mood for it.

For all the complaining on here of safe/repeat headliners, 2014 had 3 acts that had never headlined before, and alot of people moaned about that :P

Edited by LondonTom

9 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

For all the complaining on here of safe/repeat headliners, 2014 had 3 acts that had never headlined before, and alot of people moaned about that :P

2014 may not have been a classic year for headliners, but considering one of the headliners a lot of people had never fucking heard of/perplexed people at topping the lineup, and another who many would've laughed at if suggested to headline Glastonbury even earlier that same year due to an act like them never topping the bill before, i think it did a damn good job. i'll even let them have Kasabian because they were inevitably going to headline eventually, so fuck it, 2014 it was

people will always moan, and you're right that the safe/huge acts will end up getting the biggest crowds with the best atmosphere, but Arcade Fire and Metallica that year felt extra special for those of us who were fans that went along. even though there aren't really any risky acts like those being thrown about for contention for next year, i'd take them a million times over rather than have Muse blaring out the same old schtick. god i hope it's not Muse

13 hours ago, silkworm said:

Alt-J did headline Latitude this year, and did kind of bomb. It was all a bit lifeless and boring, though to be fair I'm not a fan anyway, maybe it was great for people who know them.

Maybe there'd be more energy at a bigger festival and they'd respond better, but since they really didn't even have enough presence to headline Latitude, Glastonbury would be a bit of a stretch. Maybe in a couple of years.

I was there and I agree... In my opinion they were the wrong choice of headliner... It wasn't because it was a bad performance because they were technically very good but they don't engage well with the crowd and their music just doesn't translate well into a headline set - it was just all a bit lacking in excitement. I think they could headline Other but they are not a Pyramid headliner. 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Did Alt-J not play this year? Or last year? And bored everyone to fucking tears then too.

Yes they played but we didn't see them because we were seeing them 2 weeks later at Latitude and I didn't want to be bored twice!! 

7 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Seems like Alt-J aren't doing too well for themselves anyway. Couple weeks until their arena tour and I'm still seeing constant ads for it, can't be selling well at all.

They did do some big shows last year and earlier this year including selling out the O2, then playing the three biggest UK festivals they could and headlining Latitude (their day sold out there and all) so their first proper tour of arenas not flying off the shelves isn't unexpected - surprised they lined it up at all actually. Still think they'd be on course to headline fests after a period away.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, dentalplan said:

They did do some big shows last year and earlier this year including selling out the O2, then playing the three biggest festivals and headlining Latitude (their day sold out there and all) so their first proper tour of arenas not flying off the shelves isn't unexpected - surprised they lined it up at all actually. Still think they'd be on course to headline fests after a period away.

Yeah it's odd timing, can't help but feel it would've made sense to get more new material out first and then go for arenas.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They did do some big shows last year and earlier this year including selling out the O2, then playing the three biggest UK festivals they could and headlining Latitude (their day sold out there and all) so their first proper tour of arenas not flying off the shelves isn't unexpected - surprised they lined it up at all actually. Still think they'd be on course to headline fests after a period away.

Yeah I'm a fan, and haven't got a ticket for the Leeds gig despite it being fairly local. Already seen them twice on this tour, including Glastonbury. I suspect many fans are the same.

12 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Old Jeff Lynne and the latest incarnation of ELO have now got a 4th O2 date on sale....that'd be 80,000 tickets in London if they sell it out as well.

Are we still thinking that Jeff isn't big enough to headline or are ELO now in with a chance?

still not big enough to headline. sub at best - third most likely imo

15 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Old Jeff Lynne and the latest incarnation of ELO have now got a 4th O2 date on sale....that'd be 80,000 tickets in London if they sell it out as well.

Are we still thinking that Jeff isn't big enough to headline or are ELO now in with a chance?

It's about right for the legend slot act, which we pretty much know they are at this point.

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

haven't been keeping up with the Sunday Legend thread but are they the favourite over Manilow now then?

Well, I thought quite a lot of people here (not everyone, I know) reckoned that's who Chris Evans said it would be but I'm not sure who the general thought is. Jeff Lynne is on TFI on Friday so perhaps there'll be some knowing nods and winks.

21 hours ago, oneeye said:

Haha, very good. Let's go back to booking 'safe' headliners then. I only suggested Kraftwerk as an example of maybe taking a 'risk', rather than the Coldplay, Adele, Muse Pyramid headliner zfest that we are likely to get in 2016.

Leonard Cohen is a good shout :)

I fully get the 'mega-headliner' stuff. They need to guarantee ticket sales, maximise TV revenue etc etc.

BUT - I just think it would benefit the festival long-term if they at least put aside one headliner each year either for a band that it nearing its peak (like Mumfords a few years ago) or at least a oldie that maybe isn't the status of the Stones, The Who etc, but who you know puts on an amazing show nonetheless. 

So someone like Leonard Cohen, or Foals, or The National or Nick Cave. 

The only qualms I have with e.g. Nick Cave or Sigur Ros is that maybe those size acts are actually perfectly suited to Other Stage Headliner or whatever. Let them do their thing in front of their fans - and wack Coldplay on Pyramid  for the 'neutrals'. 

Think I might be confusing myself now. Is this post coherent?

4 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

I fully get the 'mega-headliner' stuff. They need to guarantee ticket sales, maximise TV revenue etc etc.

BUT - I just think it would benefit the festival long-term if they at least put aside one headliner each year either for a band that it nearing its peak (like Mumfords a few years ago) or at least a oldie that maybe isn't the status of the Stones, The Who etc, but who you know puts on an amazing show nonetheless. 

So someone like Leonard Cohen, or Foals, or The National or Nick Cave. 

The only qualms I have with e.g. Nick Cave or Sigur Ros is that maybe those size acts are actually perfectly suited to Other Stage Headliner or whatever. Let them do their thing in front of their fans - and wack Coldplay on Pyramid  for the 'neutrals'. 

Think I might be confusing myself now. Is this post coherent?

I think it's probably bad to sick to a rigid pattern like always having one new/one pop/one oldie as things would get stale.

But they should have ANYTHING other than the same bands returning every few years. Whoever is available, be it up and coming acts, oldies, pop, whatever. Anything is better than the same old tired names every 4 or 5 years.

Yep - I don't mean that they need to create another fixed 'slot' amongst the headliners - but that it should be in the back of their minds as a target/aim.

Here's another question. Pick your favourite mid/large sized act. For me maybe The National - maybe Nick Cave for you - would you rather they were headlining West Holts or Pyramid? I think I'd honestly say West Holts. Would have a more fun time, would have fans around rather than douchebags talking and complaining, I know the band would get a good reaction etc.