Coachella

mccdyl001

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

D. Harry never been blessed with operatic pipes.

In fairness she is doing well for age 77 - its insane she hasnt simply retired.

by the time they come to glasto she will be one week off 78 years of age. They shouldnt really still be touring but the band they have here are pretty good and not many acts have this many stone cold bangers.

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

In fairness she is doing well for age 77 - its insane she hasnt simply retired.

by the time they come to glasto she will be one week off 78 years of age. They shouldnt really still be touring but the band they have here are pretty good and not many acts have this many stone cold bangers.

Not compared to Elton who is 76 and still sounding bloody fantastic at his current shows 

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

New streams starts at 4pm PST. There might be new Saturday links that appear.

Its funny that Coachella booking the biggest act currently is not  smart? But Glasto having Ed Sheeran who was huge for 2017 creates zero questions in anyones minds? Yet Coachella  also gets somebody like Jai Paul to surface out of nowhere and perform for the first time but still seen as a no substance event.

i had fun watching current WWE star Bad Bunny do his thing. Everyone around me was screaming every word. Some hiccups and that is always a bummer when it comes to the headliner and trying to create a moment like with Post Malone. Headliners having a couple snags is not uncommon and we've all seen it happen. Im sure theyre going to tripl check things next week. And theres always the argument that weekend 1 crowds are dead and weekend 2 attendees make up for cause they get upset watching the stream and seeing people apparently bored

And i dont know why nobody is putting on the Metro Boomin replay which had The Weeknd perform 5 songs and 21 Savage and Diddy. 

by the way, the biggest development right now is that it seems you can walk out of the beer gardens with your alcohol  and they wont stop you. We dont know if its a new permanent policy or if theyre just experimenting or anything of the sort. There were def more  beer cups on the fields when it came to litter though. 

Anyway, back to it. CONEJO ( see vid below )

IMG_1495.MOVUnavailable

It's that really a thing? That's properly weird.

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

New streams starts at 4pm PST. There might be new Saturday links that appear.

Its funny that Coachella booking the biggest act currently is not  smart? But Glasto having Ed Sheeran who was huge for 2017 creates zero questions in anyones minds? Yet Coachella  also gets somebody like Jai Paul to surface out of nowhere and perform for the first time but still seen as a no substance event.

i had fun watching current WWE star Bad Bunny do his thing. Everyone around me was screaming every word. Some hiccups and that is always a bummer when it comes to the headliner and trying to create a moment like with Post Malone. Headliners having a couple snags is not uncommon and we've all seen it happen. Im sure theyre going to tripl check things next week. And theres always the argument that weekend 1 crowds are dead and weekend 2 attendees make up for cause they get upset watching the stream and seeing people apparently bored

And i dont know why nobody is putting on the Metro Boomin replay which had The Weeknd perform 5 songs and 21 Savage and Diddy. 

by the way, the biggest development right now is that it seems you can walk out of the beer gardens with your alcohol  and they wont stop you. We dont know if its a new permanent policy or if theyre just experimenting or anything of the sort. There were def more  beer cups on the fields when it came to litter though. 

Anyway, back to it. CONEJO ( see vid below )

IMG_1495.MOVUnavailable

Have to catch up on some of the streams, sadly little time this weekend. Sounds like you are enjoying. 

Looking forward to your Photos which are always ace.

Um, you must be hating those beer cups right? You love a clean floor.

Have fun Supre

I just watched a few minutes of Calvin's set on the stream and the only word I can think of is that it's.. uncanny. Like I can see shots of the crowd having a good time and singing along but with absolutely no crowd noise in the mix, it just feels like it isn't even live at all. Just a really odd thing.

10 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Have to catch up on some of the streams, sadly little time this weekend. Sounds like you are enjoying. 

Looking forward to your Photos which are always ace.

Um, you must be hating those beer cups right? You love a clean floor.

Have fun Supre

Yeah im getting my stuff.

and same deal today with beer and such. You can tell theres more trash overall, but thats the fests choice.

and yes, its been really fun. For some reason it doesnt feel like its happening? Like i saw blink yesterday and then jai paul today? When does this happen? 

Underworld destroyed the Mojave tent. Such good sound It made Prydz Holo seem  just not as good even with the crazy visuals.

Kenny Beats was a total party, great Sahara set that kept the bros pleased and busy.

curious to see what everyones gonna say about Blackpink though on replay lol. Calvin brought out Ellie Goulding at the end. I was halfway back to my room by then.

Edited by Suprefan

3 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I just watched a few minutes of Calvin's set on the stream and the only word I can think of is that it's.. uncanny. Like I can see shots of the crowd having a good time and singing along but with absolutely no crowd noise in the mix, it just feels like it isn't even live at all. Just a really odd thing.

That's as much a sound mixing issue tbf. I've seen coverage of bands at festivals where sometimes the crowd mix is overpowering and sometimes non-existent, and clearly, that's just a mix that's got no interest in crowd reaction.

16 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He's the biggest artist on the planet and definitely deserved the step up. As a booking it makes total sense. 

I think that's just the nature of the beast about us judging another area's favourites. Clearly, if he's doing stadiums in the USA and Mexico, he's absolutely big enough to do Coachella. As his last UK date was in 2018 at the sub-3k Kentish Town Forum, logically, it's not quite as big a deal on these shores. Maybe he'll announce a UK date in a bigger venue and pull in a crowd, but it's not quite the same as clearly enough of a US crowd like his work to see it.

It's certainly a comparison for me, who only knows of him for being in the movie Bullet Train and a one-line joke on John Oliver's show talking about Ticketmaster last year.

18 hours ago, Breeze said:

I greatly enjoyed the parade of guests in 2010, was genuinely amazed when Lou Reed showed, and I actually liked that album so never got the huge negativity.

Tbf I imagine in the moment there were good things. Maybe it's a momentum thing, or maybe people just too readily wanted to compare it to Blur last year, or maybe Plastic Beach's songs didn't have the mainstream pull Demon Days had. Either way, it is what it is, and clearly, they're still a decent pull. Makes me kinda wish I'd gone to APE last year.

We debate this every year but for some reason American festivals mute the crowd, or set up the audience microphone very different to how we do in the UK / the BBC do it.

Watch boygenius set, you can clearly hear the moments where they want you to hear the crowd and where they want you to hear the artist.

The BBC set up their audio in a completely different way, they want the artist to be drowned out by cheers or whatever - it’s how we do things here. I think in the US they prefer to put the focus on the artist.