Coachella

mccdyl001

Some scattered thoughts:

• Booking Bad Bunny and BLACKPINK to headline is awesome. I would love to see Bad Bunny in the UK but everyone here loves to boast about how they've never heard any of his songs 😞
  • Is Frank going to be releasing new material, or just playing the same setlist as 6 years ago? Cool booking in theory, but even if he does play I wonder whether it could be a little underwhelming.
  • Subs are stacked. Rosalia! Burna Boy! Chems! Gorillaz! Bjork!
  • Um, Jai Paul? Am I reading this right?? Not a big fan myself, but that's a pretty big get.
  • Knocked Loose are going to be the next hardcore breakout act after Turnstile.
  • Undercard below the biggest acts feels pretty weak. No idea if any of the following are touring outside of US this summer but would love to see MUNA, Weyes Blood, The Breeders, Soul Glo, and Horsegirl.

I think this confirms that we won't be getting Blackpink at Glastonbury - not relevant enough in the UK to headline Glasto, and yet they won't settle for anything below Pyramid after headlining Coachella. I can't spot any other kpop acts on the lineup either, which doesn't bode well for getting any at Glasto.

Excited to see Boygenius and Muna - hoping this means there's a chance they could both play Glasto... Boygenius headlining the park stage anyone?

33 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

A few decent names, a few of the usual suspects. A lot of shite.

Probably the worst Coachella lineup I've seen.

It won't improve in the future

10 minutes ago, Sorcha17 said:

Apparently Rihanna was the headliner that backed out and Blackpink were bumped up.

Someone on the forums seemed to suggest it was Biebier who asked for more money later on.

That person also got the other headliners plus the Frank sub, the would be sub in Blackpink. I don't remember either Gorillaz or Bjork though. They've certainly shifted stuff around but taken long enough to not head a replacement head and just bump upp.

It does confirm though that Gorillaz aren't all out headliners now. 

26 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Some scattered thoughts:

• Undercard below the biggest acts feels pretty weak. No idea if any of the following are touring outside of US this summer but would love to see MUNA, Weyes Blood, The Breeders, Soul Glo, and Horsegirl.

First date for Breeders that! Hope glasto gets them!!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Is there more to it than that? Other stages etc. Like how there are loads of acts at Glastonbury who don't make the poster (even the big version)?

Thats it I think really

After looking a bit more in depth at the lineup (of course it came out whilst I was at The 1975)... It is pretty decent, after a quick scan through of names theres a good 12 or so I'd see each day.

Friday: Bad Bunny, Gorillaz, Burna Boy, The Chemical Brothers, KAYTRANADA, Metro Boomin, Pusha T, Wet Leg, SG Lewis, Testpilot, Muna, Jamie Jones, Benee, Vintage Culture, Overmono, Gabriels, The Murder Capital & Chris Stussy

Saturday: ROSALÍA, Calvin Harris (I'm assuming), Eric Prydz, $uicideboy$, Charli XCX, Labrinth, Underworld, Sofi Tukker, Remi Wolf, Tale of Us, Mura Masa, 070 Shake, Elderbrook, Hot Since 82, Bakar & Nia Archives

Sunday: Frank Ocean, Kali Uchis, Porter Robinson, FISHER + Chris Lake, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Dominic Fike, Jai Paul, Latto, 2manydjs, Rae Sremmurd, Camelphat, Joy Crookes, TSHA, Lp Giobbi & Los Bitchos

There are probably a few I've missed off, but yeah, definitely not enough to tempt me to spend the cash and head over, but a fairly solid lineup - with the undercard certainly being the most impressive part. 

1 hour ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Some scattered thoughts:

• Booking Bad Bunny to headline is awesome. I would love to see Bad Bunny in the UK but everyone here loves to boast about how they've never heard any of his songs 😞
  • Subs are stacked. Rosalia! Burna Boy! Chems! Gorillaz!

Completely agree with you on that! It is a shame Bad Bunny isn't as big at all over here, because I love his music, and really really want to see him - his live show looks hella impressive as well. Solid solid subs too, most certainly wasn't expecting Gorillaz.

38 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

Frank Ocean, Bjork and Jai Paul on the same festival day (assuming they don’t clash) is the most unique day at a festival ever. 

Not in a good way.

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Is there more to it than that? Other stages etc. Like how there are loads of acts at Glastonbury who don't make the poster (even the big version)?

Not really know, bar the Do Lab if it's still there. But you should remember it's not a festival the size of Glastonbury. Every other festival here posts the acts that are playing and there is nothing more just like their Bonnaroo and Lolla's etc. There is no big night scene except your people going to score and get high but not everyone at Glastonbury is interested in the extra night scenes apart from the actual stages that go later.

3 minutes ago, stanh said:

After looking a bit more in depth at the lineup (of course it came out whilst I was at The 1975)... It is pretty decent, after a quick scan through of names theres a good 12 or so I'd see each day.

Friday: Bad Bunny, Gorillaz, Burna Boy, The Chemical Brothers, KAYTRANADA, Metro Boomin, Pusha T, Wet Leg, SG Lewis, Testpilot, Muna, Jamie Jones, Benee, Vintage Culture, Overmono, Gabriels, The Murder Capital & Chris Stussy

Saturday: ROSALÍA, Calvin Harris (I'm assuming), Eric Prydz, $uicideboy$, Charli XCX, Labrinth, Underworld, Sofi Tukker, Remi Wolf, Tale of Us, Mura Masa, 070 Shake, Elderbrook, Hot Since 82, Bakar & Nia Archives

Sunday: Frank Ocean, Kali Uchis, Porter Robinson, FISHER + Chris Lake, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Dominic Fike, Jai Paul, Latto, 2manydjs, Rae Sremmurd, Camelphat, Joy Crookes, TSHA, Lp Giobbi & Los Bitchos

Rosalia is Sunday. You missed Adam Beyer on Sunday. in The Chems, Eric Prydz and Fisher they have 3 big dance acts plus Adam Beyer and Calvin Harris. That's good diversity.

I would have The Chems maybe, Blondie, Yungblud, Idris Elba cause I like him as an actor. 

Eric Prydz Solo, The Kid Laroi maybe, Underworld

Adam Beyer, Sasha & John Digweed.

I'd see Calvin Harris.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Rosalia is Sunday. You missed Adam Beyer on Sunday

I would have The Chems maybe, Blondie, Yungblud, Idris Elba cause I like him as an actor. 

Huh? Björk is Sunday, Rosalía is subbing BLACKPINK isn't she? Completely missed Adam Beyer though!! 

I definitely wouldn't recommend Idris Elba though, every time I've seen him he has been pretty poor - even videos from his recent sets (such as the one at The BEAMS) looked not great at all.

3 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Coachella is aimed at early twenties Americans, I'm sure it’s great for them, but so much for anyone else.

Matt has self confessed he never knows most of the lineup, but that they end up being bigger names later on so it’s a good place to learn about them.

So when he says it’s ‘unreal’ he means it might be unreal retrospectively, based on past years, but probably like most of us hasn’t heard of a lot of them.

Then when some of them are big in a couple of years he can make you feel stupid for not knowing about them sooner.

I know an awful lot of the lineup and there’s still a lot I don’t.

Headliners aside Gorillaz, Rosalia, Bjork, The Chemical Brothers, Blondie, Charlie XCX, Underworld are pretty big names on your immediate undercard.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

No that’s the lineup but they do have a few late adds when the set times come. Only a handful though. 

3 hours ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Some scattered thoughts:

• Booking Bad Bunny and BLACKPINK to headline is awesome. I would love to see Bad Bunny in the UK but everyone here loves to boast about how they've never heard any of his songs 😞
  • Is Frank going to be releasing new material, or just playing the same setlist as 6 years ago? Cool booking in theory, but even if he does play I wonder whether it could be a little underwhelming.
  • Subs are stacked. Rosalia! Burna Boy! Chems! Gorillaz! Bjork!
  • Um, Jai Paul? Am I reading this right?? Not a big fan myself, but that's a pretty big get.
  • Knocked Loose are going to be the next hardcore breakout act after Turnstile.

This is what I wanna know as well. He could either have nothing new or suprise drop an entire album tomorrow, you just never know with him. 

Calvin needs to bring him out for Slide though (probably extremely unlikely but it would be a moment)