Coachella

mccdyl001

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't think it's terrible, it's more of an indication of what's popular in the US right now. It's not for me, but of course it's not, I'm a 45 year old in the UK. Coachella hasn't been about me for 20 years.

That's four huge artists in their own right. If they were all in on Rihanna, and she bailed, that's on them. She's a billionaire who hasn't played live for seven years. They don't have the best recent track record for managing their headline acts, do they?

Yeah I mean when I say terrible, for me that is. It's interesting as someone said on a forum too that the lineup would be out Monday this week due to losing an act. 

I'm 36 so similarly, it's 10 years back for the same reason. There isn't many years since 2013 time I'd have looked and not considered releasing my ticket. Their 2006 run for several years was very good. 

9 hours ago, thewayiam said:

So the latest suggestion is that it's actually Rihanna that has pulled out with Blackpink potentially getting the bump. 

Either way, 3 of Bad Bunny, Blackpink, Rihanna and Frank Ocean is pretty terrible. 

For a UK festival audience it wouldn't be a great lineup but the US is a different market so they must be confident in them doing well.

I reckon we’re not out the woods yet. Still seems like they are trying something.

All the competitors are allowed to announce from Monday. Coachella rarely lets them do that unless they have to.

If they let all their competitors announce first it makes me wonder what they have lined up… or they are having one last attempt to try…

Edited by Matt42

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon we’re not out the woods yet. Still seems like they are trying something.

All the competitors are allowed to announce from Monday. Coachella rarely lets them do that unless they have to.

If they let all their competitors announce first it makes me wonder what they have lined up… or they are having one last attempt to try…

I'm not sure I understand, how do they control their competitors release schedule?

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm not sure I understand, how do they control their competitors release schedule?

I think he’s misunderstanding something. Of course other festivals can announce before Coachella and a whole bunch have (Shaky Knees, Rolling Loud, In Between Days, Beach Life and a bunch of others have already announced). Some acts playing Coachella are incentivized via large payments to agree to not allow other festivals to announce them until Coachella does or after a certain date. 

There’s no reason Bonnaroo and Bottle Rocket can’t announce next week with those acts (not) shown as mystery guests - or the date was Jan 6th and that’s passed. 

On 1/6/2023 at 5:04 PM, FloorFiller said:

Apparently Hits Daily Double have leaked headliners in the past which have then turned out to be wrong - happened in ‘19 according to people on Reddit, although iirc that year had a lot of last minute drop outs and fill ins so could just be that - so whilst I’m not doubting that trio as it does seem like a very Coachella ‘23 set of headliners, I wouldn’t take it as a certainty just yet.

Standard year at coachella

Edited by gfa

18 minutes ago, sisco said:

Amazing that this amazing festival who can offer the world suffers every single year with drop outs and delays….. amazing

The festival is clearly so popular that too many artists are asking to headline. Meaning they have to change their minds at short notice.

8 hours ago, chazwwe said:

The festival is clearly so popular that too many artists are asking to headline. Meaning they have to change their minds at short notice.

Coachella's issue now is that they primarily book a certain couple of genres of acts that have a high tendancy of dropping out for whatever reason