Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Not trying to troll here, but as i hadn't heard of many of the Silver Hayes DJs i listened to some of the set being shared. They all sound very weak to me.  Just sharing my opinion. There is a lack of bass, and clearly a lack of atmosphere in the crowds.  Some energy appears when they drop in an old skool tune, I heard D-Tek Drop the Rock amongst others and Sherelle has made a career out of playing early jungle, but it all just seems very weak/boring to me. Lots of them spin across multiple genres which is obviously easier to do with digital CDJs but it just seems to coast along on mainly the same level.  EDM isn't my thing, but at least it has peaks and troughs (too many really).  See you at Glade and IICON

5 minutes ago, e_p said:

Not trying to troll here, but as i hadn't heard of many of the Silver Hayes DJs i listened to some of the set being shared. They all sound very weak to me.  Just sharing my opinion. There is a lack of bass, and clearly a lack of atmosphere in the crowds.  Some energy appears when they drop in an old skool tune, I heard D-Tek Drop the Rock amongst others and Sherelle has made a career out of playing early jungle, but it all just seems very weak/boring to me. Lots of them spin across multiple genres which is obviously easier to do with digital CDJs but it just seems to coast along on mainly the same level.  EDM isn't my thing, but at least it has peaks and troughs (too many really).  See you at Glade and IICON

Hey, don't worry about it. It's great that the thread caters for everyone, no matter what their dance predilections. I walked past an Artwork boat party in Silver Hayes one year, sunshine blazing, mirror shades ahoy, taps aff, and that couldn't be further from what dancing is for me! But everyone was having a brilliant time and there are many on here who would be all over that.

All I ask for is that there's kindness and respect in here, and a space for everyone to share their love of dance music. Gods know there's enough agg in the rest of the forum. Rave on, team. 

Ben
x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, e_p said:

You’ve got some pretty big hitters on there from harder genres/styles. DJ Storm for instance. What exactly is it you’re after? Nosebleed techno?

8 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

They could definitely do with more industrial techno at the festival in general 🙂

I think Glasto are happy enough to let the techno festivals cater to the niche sub genres. Awakenings is what you need.

Edited by Madyaker

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

While I agree I don’t think those stages are the place for it personally. It’s definitely a more Bloc9 vibe surely.

I’d be happy with any stage 🙂 maybe they could share the heavy metal stage on alternate nights

Comfortably, my favourite find from the Silver Hayes poster so far is Sofia Kourtesis. I'd been aware of her before but didn't know much about her.

I dearly hope that her live set is given a cracking slot that fits with the rest of my plans. Could be pretty magnificent if her recorded material is anything to go by. Really interesting and different house/occasionally deep house that 'does' so much more than a lot of generic dance music produced these days. Very excited for her.

Ben

7 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Comfortably, my favourite find from the Silver Hayes poster so far is Sofia Kourtesis. I'd been aware of her before but didn't know much about her.

100% this. I had never heard of her until yesterday. An hour of Youtubing has made me a massive fan. 

Edited by David_303
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Has anyone seen Giant Swan from the poster before? I am very intrigued by them - what's their live show like and who are some similar artists?

Yeah seen them before they’re nuts - pretty unique from my perspective they’ve a couple of boiler rooms on YouTube. 

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Has anyone seen Giant Swan from the poster before? I am very intrigued by them - what's their live show like and who are some similar artists?

Yes. Twice.

Their live show is an hour of 'ad lib' noisy techno. They stand opposite one another on either side of their set-up desk and build tracks from 'scratch' - obviously there will be some structure, but they like to be as spontaneous as possible. One of them uses a mic to add heavily treated 'vocals' into the tracks at times.

It's banging. They're incredibly into what they do and create a fantastic energy. And, knob twiddling art notwithstanding, they really rave it up, so it's a proper techno rave feel. I loved both sets when I saw them, the first time opening for British Murder Boys, so that was a far from shabby night!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

13 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I dearly hope that her live set is given a cracking slot that fits with the rest of my plans. Could be pretty magnificent if her recorded material is anything to go by. Really interesting and different house/occasionally deep house that 'does' so much more than a lot of generic dance music produced these days. Very excited for her.

Ben

Can’t wait to see her at Green Man (failed at Glasto tickets yet again)! 

Just now, lessthanwill1 said:

Can’t wait to see her at Green Man (failed at Glasto tickets yet again)! 

Oh for gods' sakes, Will!

I hope she plays the last set on Far Out After Dark - that will be amazing for you (not going to GM this year as I'm bookending the summer with Glastonbury and Shambala. Mind you, I do still have a carry-over Boomtown ticket that I kind of need to get rid of!).

Ben

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah seen them before they’re nuts - pretty unique from my perspective they’ve a couple of boiler rooms on YouTube. 

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yes. Twice.

Their live show is an hour of 'ad lib' noisy techno. They stand opposite one another on either side of their set-up desk and build tracks from 'scratch' - obviously there will be some structure, but they like to be as spontaneous as possible. One of them uses a mic to add heavily treated 'vocals' into the tracks at times.

It's banging. They're incredibly into what they do and create a fantastic energy. And, knob twiddling art notwithstanding, they really rave it up, so it's a proper techno rave feel. I loved both sets when I saw them, the first time opening for British Murder Boys, so that was a far from shabby night!

Ben

Sounds fantastic! I'll check out one of their sets now - thanks for the super fast responses. Not my sort of dance at all really but quite enjoyed listening to them, would love to stumble across them mid-festival (or maybe plan to see them!)

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Sounds fantastic! I'll check out one of their sets now - thanks for the super fast responses. Not my sort of dance at all really but quite enjoyed listening to them, would love to stumble across them mid-festival (or maybe plan to see them!)

As said, I've only ever seen them play an hour's live set and it flies by, such is the spectacle. Even if not quite your thing, I'd highly recommend seeing them at least once, as it will be an unforgettable experience!

Ben

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

As said, I've only ever seen them play an hour's live set and it flies by, such is the spectacle. Even if not quite your thing, I'd highly recommend seeing them at least once, as it will be an unforgettable experience!

Ben

Not too convinced by the boiler room set, but i would definitely give them a try on the farm. They are certainly unique

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Thought they would be on IICON tbh. There's not much on the poster in a similar vein, I guess from last time out Karenn are the closest thing.

@Ben - British Murder Boys would be fun... 

Last time we had this amazing spreadsheet (credit to @hmmmloddy. Thank you!) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BzyCqFTgA8W64VGxlTA-ctmum77HUPvjltC8MJ8K0uc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Would be great to get one going for this year. Happy to create it unless anyone's already got one on the go.

Edited by Dan Eazy
Added proper credit :)
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dan Eazy said:

Last time we had this amazing spreadsheet (credit to Henry. Thank you!) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BzyCqFTgA8W64VGxlTA-ctmum77HUPvjltC8MJ8K0uc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Would be great to get one going for this year. Happy to create it unless anyone's already got one on the go.

Cheers - this should be helpful for deciding what I want to see. My favourite stuff is big beat / acid so i'm not exactly spoiled for choice based off this!

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Cheers - this should be helpful for deciding what I want to see. My favourite stuff is big beat / acid so i'm not exactly spoiled for choice based off this!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ef64jsnmwcUxLSEuibH6UOjBTaMdlqW6lBNWzJWG1P4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Here's the template copied from the one from last year. Everyone should be able to edit it.

Edited by Dan Eazy
Typos
  • Thanks 2