Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Just now, MaxPower said:

Ah I mean, I think it’s unfair to expect artists to do so. She’s not representing Russia, she’s just Russian.

I agree with you, but there's a large section of society, predominantly centered around social media, that have certain expectations for those with influential platforms, suggesting that staying silent is siding with the oppressor. Unfortunately, history would also demonstrate that there are consequences for prominent individuals or groups who challenge certain authorities, so I can equally understand the reluctance to speak out. It's not an easy situation, either way.

For those in the public eye, this would appear to be the modern price of success. Another reason why I'm happy to live and remain largely anonymous. Fame is much more complex than ever.

I hope she plays and knocks it out of the park but maybe the "Coachella 2019 AV set" would be more suited to IICON... 😄

On 4/24/2022 at 11:01 PM, Acid Loafers said:

Would recommend checking out Palms Trax at Dekmantel Festival 2019 
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/NNmTo

Hoping I can catch the b2b jobse set or another if he plays more sets throughout the weekend

Oh hello 😃 I've just out this on and it's apparently exactly what I needed this afternoon!

1 hour ago, Twiggy553 said:

Rightly or wrongly Nina consistently  gets a lot of sh1t from the techno community.

Tbh, I’ve always enjoyed her sets but I feel she could use her massive platform better right now.  I think she doesn’t want to.  Sadly, a lot of Russians support this evil. One of our friends who is Russian has basically cut us all off at the moment, after a weekend in Berlin where we accidentally ended up at a peace protest at Brandenburg Gate!

Anyway, I’ll see Nina on Arcadia but I’ll be wearing a Ukraine flag. 

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Anyway, I’ll see Nina on Arcadia but I’ll be wearing a Ukraine flag. 

Very cool bro im sure this will have a massive impact on the war and won’t do anything but make you feel better about yourself.

Edited by MaxPower

27 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Unfortunately, history would also demonstrate that there are consequences for prominent individuals or groups who challenge certain authorities, so I can equally understand the reluctance to speak out. It's not an easy situation, either way.

My thoughts exactly

37 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Sam Paganini has been around for...EVER!

And yes, Volvox - Oooft.

Ben

Well then how come i’d never heard of him 😂

Volvox was the best set i’d seen in years. Had the crowd in the palm of her hand throughout.

Have to say I’m not sure if I’m well off base as I’ve not seen any of them in person in years, but I find what I see of Nina and Amelie and the lien these days as incredibly repetitive and boring. Doesn’t feel like they’ve doing anything interesting, just a lot of repetitive “doof doof” as it were for 2 hours.

Maybe I’m mistaken though. 

4 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Ha! Doesn't really have to be that fast, just more like 90s techno than the minimal snooze-fest ket fuel gubbins bandwagon everyone and their mother hopped on in the 00s-10s!

I will confess that I tend towards more underground stuff than Rebekah and Amelie, and haven't actually listened to any of their recent sets, tbf. Peeps like Jerome Hill, the Liberators and others have been flying the flag for the good stuff throughout.

It's just a general trend I've spotted in the techno world from people like Jeff Mills, Dave Clarke and a few others.

Anyway, not trying to pick a fight. I'll go back to huffing about Aphex now.

90's...

...I'm down the front with you, chief.

Ben

54 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not a guarantee, but I'm 99% sure that that's what his presence on the poster means. Have Arcadia acts only playing there ever been on the poster? I'd ask @Gnomicide, but he feels a bit queasy coming in here...

Ben

I've no idea, most of the names look made up to me anyway. What I do know is that Arcadia is almost always the last (or last but one) area to drop before the full line-up. In 2013 it came three weeks afterwards.

15 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Have to say I’m not sure if I’m well off base as I’ve not seen any of them in person in years, but I find what I see of Nina and Amelie and the lien these days as incredibly repetitive and boring. Doesn’t feel like they’ve doing anything interesting, just a lot of repetitive “doof doof” as it were for 2 hours.

Maybe I’m mistaken though. 

Fair. If something is not for you then it just isn’t. I like it for the energy (and imo it’s more intricate than it might first appear), but then I like Industrial so this is relatively softcore 😂 

Having said all that I Saw Surgeon the other night who was still quality and I actually liked Hawtin’s funky minimal stuff back in the day (2005 Sonar set at 4am in the courtyard blew my tiny mind). Still have a soft spot for Slam (although a recent London gig of theirs was a bit beige, but I blame the venue)

Edited by Twiggy553

2 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

He's not exactly a performer and Arcadia that stage strikes me as somewhere better-suited to the Calvin Harris's of this world versus someone who spent much of the 90s lying on the floor with a laptop and avoiding eye contact with the crowd.

But that’s what the shiny shiny is for 😂 

7 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Personally, I don't blame anyone on here for reporting any info they have. It doesn't entirely surprise me considering Aphex Twin's enigmatic nature and total unwillingness to engage with a crowd.

He's not exactly a performer and the Arcadia stage strikes me as somewhere better-suited to the Calvin Harris's of this world versus someone who spent much of the 90s lying on the floor with a laptop and avoiding eye contact with the crowd.

I saw him play at the Orbit one night. He faced the wall for the entire set, never clocked him looking round once!

He ripped the pace apart!