Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

17 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

One of those seems the most likely option! As much as I love Lakota it's not the sort of place I'd trust with my valuables :D 

Should be a good gig, missed him last time he played there but heard he was brilliant.

Brilliant idea but as you've said I wouldn't trust lakota to look after my coat never mind my phone.

It should be a top night eats always seems to deliver.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

with the yonder pouch, don't give anything to the venue to look after. you keep the phone (inside the pouch) on you. if you need to use it, you have to leave and go to a staff member outside to open the pouch.

I went to see Jack White last year (maybe year before) and they had a no phone policy. They used something similar to yonder and it worked really well.

4 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Don't know what's happening with Motion for this to be the (potentially) last In:Motion. But seems to be a few more dates added for this year's one.

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the venue, they haven't had too many publicised problems that I'm aware of. Certainly not to the same degree as places like Lakota and Blue Mountain have recently. I remember one of the guys that manages it putting a picture of a big warehouse space up on Facebook, maybe they're thinking of moving anyway?

Still not much particularly interesting in the additional dates if I'm honest, really poor year personally when you compare it to Printworks and WHP.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:37 AM, eastynh said:

More appealing to me that normal. Need to go Aphex Twin just to overcome my phobia of him ??

Underworld is a deffo though. Would go the Hacienda one but it will be rammed with pond life. 99% of the people in attendance will have no idea who A Certain Ratio are.

Have been to 4 WHPs and its been a mixed bag. TEED one in 2012 - pretty good laugh.  Chic and Hot Chip 2013 - dangerously over sold.  Chemical Bros, Andrew Weatherall and Bicep in 2014 - pretty great.  Sasha and Digweed in 2017 - became pretty good but not a great crowd IMO.   And the whole having to be in by 10.30pm thing is a downer.  Interested in why you think the Hacienda one would be rough.  Just Happy Mondays type nasty/heavy punters?  I'm not sure there is a stand out line up for me this time.  I'm maybe getting a bit old for it.  @zeppelin @ghostdancer1 @aidenlangan95  would welcome your thoughts too thank you.

Edited by Johndenis

19 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Have been to 4 WHPs and its been a mixed bag. TEED one in 2012 - pretty good laugh.  Chic and Hot Chip 2013 - dangerously over sold.  Chemical Bros, Andrew Weatherall and Bicep in 2014 - pretty great.  Sasha and Digweed in 2017 - became pretty good but not a great crowd IMO.   And the whole having to be in by 10.30pm thing is a downer.  Interested in why you think the Hacienda one would be rough.  Just Happy Mondays type nasty/heavy punters?  I'm not sure there is a stand out line up for me this time.  I'm maybe getting a bit old for it. @aidenlangan95  would welcome your thoughts too thank you.

I love the music at festivals and everything. However, I'll be honest, I haven't been to WHP before at all and haven't actually been to a club since I went to fabric for a student night in my first year of uni in 2013 where Lethal Bizzle was performing. 

And now this year after that, let's call it experience, I'm off to a couple of nights at WHP and a night at fabric so hopefully my first proper clubbing experiences will be good ones. Aphex Twin is one way to start it anyway! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Been really enjoying this new Max Cooper cut this morning, really regretting not making the effort to see him at the farm now

I only saw about 20 mins of him as I had to go see Karenn (oh my gosh!), but he was his typically glitchy, bleepy brilliant self. He really is class. 

Ben

16 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

WHP has been a bit rubbish for years and I was done with it but the new venue has a lot of potential. I’m going the Four Tet and Bicep curated nights (unreal line ups) and Homobloc which I’m absolutely buzzing for.

Never done WHP, so looking forward to the Drumcode event and that venue looks potentially amazing. I usually go to pretty small venues when I’m out, so it’ll be nice to do a bit of a big space warehouse feel, so long as the AV is good. And though 10.30pm final entry seems a bit annoying, if it’s a 4am end then I’m gonna want to be dancing by then anyway, to get my full session in!

Ben

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Never done WHP, so looking forward to the Drumcode event and that venue looks potentially amazing. I usually go to pretty small venues when I’m out, so it’ll be nice to do a bit of a big space warehouse feel, so long as the AV is good. And though 10.30pm final entry seems a bit annoying, if it’s a 4am end then I’m gonna want to be dancing by then anyway, to get my full session in!

Ben

Yeah they love forcing you in early and charging you a fortune. New venue has unreal potential so I’m hoping it’s an improvement on Store Street and Victoria Warehouse.

I am going to Berlin in two weeks look to be going https://www.residentadvisor.net/club.aspx?id=46960 there on Saturday be well up for DJ Bone, Pearson Sound and Willow,  then hopefully http://berghain.de/event/2965

but probably won’t get in Berghain Sunday morning for Dozzy, Nobou and Weatherall mainly. I don’t know running orders or anything so god knows what i end up doing. No idea on Friday yet.

On a Loop at White Hotel with Moxie, Josey Rebelle and Eclair Fifi in October, Four Tet curated line up at the new WHP which has a silly line up https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1290831?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5pjr0bOW5AIVFuDtCh0COAtmEAAYASAAEgKsdvD_BwE

Homobloc later in the year, Fett Burger at Hidden and I’m told Optimo are doing White Hotel on Mad Friday and apparently Batu is this year too, he blew my mind at Dekmantel. Any recommendations appreciated for those line ups.

On 8/30/2019 at 12:17 PM, Mattymooz said:

Been really enjoying this new Max Cooper cut this morning, really regretting not making the effort to see him at the farm now

I had foolishly planned to pop my Downlow Cherry on Sunday, but didn't make it early enough and didn't want to spend half of my last night in a queue. Wandered into Max's set since it said A/V set and Gas Tower might be my one of my favourite places to be at night.

Didn't know that much about Max, but wow! Some of the best visuals my eyes have laid eyes on. 

All my mates were at Beat Hotel Closing party but Max's set was definitely a highlight of this year for me, with the whole nature of how I had all these plans that failed on me and ended up spending my night with him. Felt like it was meant to be, in true Glasto Fashion.

On 8/29/2019 at 3:13 PM, Johndenis said:

Have been to 4 WHPs and its been a mixed bag. TEED one in 2012 - pretty good laugh.  Chic and Hot Chip 2013 - dangerously over sold.  Chemical Bros, Andrew Weatherall and Bicep in 2014 - pretty great.  Sasha and Digweed in 2017 - became pretty good but not a great crowd IMO.   And the whole having to be in by 10.30pm thing is a downer.  Interested in why you think the Hacienda one would be rough.  Just Happy Mondays type nasty/heavy punters?  I'm not sure there is a stand out line up for me this time.  I'm maybe getting a bit old for it.  @zeppelin @ghostdancer1 @aidenlangan95  would welcome your thoughts too thank you.

Just looking at the crowd it attracted to the recent Hacienda classical at Castlefield. Lots of people from Newton Heath and surrounding inner city Manchester areas. The types that have absolutely no interest in the music.

• Like 1

Has anybody got much experience of any electronic festivals overseas? Looking to try and fit one in next year.

Dimensions is moving which is a real shame, only attended that specific location for Outlook festival but have always maintained its the best layout for a festival i've been too. 

Kala and Love International seems to be the most intriguing for me right now, especially considering i've never visited Albania before which is where the former is situated.

Any help whatsoever would be hugely appreciated :) 

3 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Has anybody got much experience of any electronic festivals overseas? Looking to try and fit one in next year.

Dimensions is moving which is a real shame, only attended that specific location for Outlook festival but have always maintained its the best layout for a festival i've been too. 

Kala and Love International seems to be the most intriguing for me right now, especially considering i've never visited Albania before which is where the former is situated.

Any help whatsoever would be hugely appreciated :) 

I have done awakenings and nature one.

Awakenings in amsterdam is good if you are into techno, but it is just an arena with tents and stages. The tents are like the steel yard (if you have been to that). It is well organised. They do well on production and it is a "who's who" of techno.

Some mates swear by Loveland in Holland. It clashes with Boomtown and I have not been. They are trying to convince me for next year.

One issue I have with dutch festivals is, the outdoor stages are great - but you get the full experience for about an hour (when it goes dark). Music is off at 11.

Nature One (I went 11 years ago) - it is very full on. The campsites are as much of a rave as the festival. People bring stages let alone soundsystems.

I would recommend a trip to Gashouder in Amsterdam.

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the venue, they haven't had too many publicised problems that I'm aware of. Certainly not to the same degree as places like Lakota and Blue Mountain have recently. I remember one of the guys that manages it putting a picture of a big warehouse space up on Facebook, maybe they're thinking of moving anyway?

Still not much particularly interesting in the additional dates if I'm honest, really poor year personally when you compare it to Printworks and WHP.

Lots of redevelopment happening, or at least being planned, all around that area. I suspect that there's a fear that the development may lead to noise reductions being issued, or the site may just be bought outright. I wouldn't bet on Motion being there in 5 years time, maybe less. 

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have done awakenings and nature one.

Awakenings in amsterdam is good if you are into techno, but it is just an arena with tents and stages. The tents are like the steel yard (if you have been to that). It is well organised. They do well on production and it is a "who's who" of techno.

Some mates swear by Loveland in Holland. It clashes with Boomtown and I have not been. They are trying to convince me for next year.

One issue I have with dutch festivals is, the outdoor stages are great - but you get the full experience for about an hour (when it goes dark). Music is off at 11.

Nature One (I went 11 years ago) - it is very full on. The campsites are as much of a rave as the festival. People bring stages let alone soundsystems.

I would recommend a trip to Gashouder in Amsterdam.

Cheers for the detailed response!

Ideally i'm looking for one in a slightly warmer, more picturesque setting (thinking the balkans) with less emphasis on large main stages, and more of a focus on a smaller intimate vibe....