Jump to content
bennyhana22

Electronica/Dance

Recommended Posts

Was about to leave home to head to Houghton. Absolutely gutted. But safety first. This decision would not have been made lightly. They obviously hung on as long as possible praying for a miracle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, joemason96 said:

Absolutely gutted about this and we're now frantically trying to organise some sort of party for the weekend. Woke up so excited and then hearing this is killer!

So sorry for you, Joe.

Twitter is awash with Houghtoners picking up/trying to pick up Boomtown tickets...

Ben

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Child 2 and BF now heading for London and I’ve suggested a couple of events for them as Houghton substitutes, including Function, Ellen Allien, Enrico Sangiuliano. 

Hopefully she’ll make an amazing weekend of it...

Ben

 

43 minutes ago, joemason96 said:

Absolutely gutted about this and we're now frantically trying to organise some sort of party for the weekend. Woke up so excited and then hearing this is killer!

 

I have a wedding this weekend but if I was in this situation, I'd be on my way to Boomtown right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know first hand how much the organisers of Houghton absolutely love their festival to death. Thoughts with them today they must be beyond gutted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone recommend me some good house/techno mixes please? Training for a half marathon and finding it terminally dull at the moment!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

 

 

 

 

Holy Mother of Gods, @ghostdancer1

That is a nigh-on perfect hour of brutal, quality techno. And without question the least annoying BR crowd I've ever seen. I think I rather like Belgium.

Ben 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Can anyone recommend me some good house/techno mixes please? Training for a half marathon and finding it terminally dull at the moment!

I'm rubbish at finding mixes, @zero000 (although you could do worse than ripping the sound file from that SNTS set above!), but I'm sure the lovely peeps here will help and good luck with your training!

Which one are you doing?

Feel free to ask for any tips, if you need them 😉 🏃🏽‍♂️

Ben
x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm rubbish at finding mixes, @zero000 (although you could do worse than ripping the sound file from that SNTS set above!), but I'm sure the lovely peeps here will help and good luck with your training!

Which one are you doing?

Feel free to ask for any tips, if you need them 😉 🏃🏽‍♂️

Ben
x

Cardiff 1/2 in October. Up to 16km now so only another 5 to go. Any tips would be useful Ben! As would a decent mix! Podcasts only get me so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Holy Mother of Gods, @ghostdancer1

That is a nigh-on perfect hour of brutal, quality techno. And without question the least annoying BR crowd I've ever seen. I think I rather like Belgium.

Ben 

Worked in Belgium on and off for three or four years and it really is the dogs bollocks for partying.

Omar S in a warehouse in Brussels is one of my all time favourite nights! Amazing crowd, subdued (yet perfect) light show, tune selection on point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, zero000 said:

Can anyone recommend me some good house/techno mixes please? Training for a half marathon and finding it terminally dull at the moment!

It might not be the coolest response, but it's often worth checking out the Radio 1 Residency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d76k4/episodes/guide

There should be something on there to tickle your fancy as they rotate 8 DJs who put up a mix a month. Each mix stays online for about a month. This forum's favourite Haai is one, who gives a nice shout out to the Genosys crew about halfway through her latest. As is Charlotte de Witte who is definitely floating my boat at the moment.

There is also a banging set from Blawan & Dax J, which should be right up Benny's alley at least.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000743m

Good luck.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fishman said:

It might not be the coolest response, but it's often worth checking out the Radio 1 Residency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d76k4/episodes/guide

There should be something on there to tickle your fancy as they rotate 8 DJs who put up a mix a month. Each mix stays online for about a month. This forum's favourite Haai is one, who gives a nice shout out to the Genosys crew about halfway through her latest. As is Charlotte de Witte who is definitely floating my boat at the moment.

There is also a banging set from Blawan & Dax J, which should be right up Benny's alley at least.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000743m

Good luck.


You're a star! Usually stay away from Radio 1 and their tech-house, but there are some really decent DJs on that list. Thanks! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not a fan of him usually but Mall Grab was pretty great at Boomtown

A couple of more recent sets of his I've seen have been surprisingly good - he's got a lot more techy, and 'intelligently' so, in my far from humble opinion.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

A couple of more recent sets of his I've seen have been surprisingly good - he's got a lot more techy, and 'intelligently' so, in my far from humble opinion.

Ben'

I used to DESPISE him because lo fi was fucking terrible. 

At boomtown he was playing some solid techno, trance and one breaks track which I am desperate to ID. Unfortunately I didn’t video it because I was dancing my ass off.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I used to DESPISE him because lo fi was fucking terrible. 

At boomtown he was playing some solid techno, trance and one breaks track which I am desperate to ID. Unfortunately I didn’t video it because I was dancing my ass off.

fully agree with this, was way too soft and cheesy for me before but recently he’s been great

 

his recent EP release was stellar as well called Growing Pains. if you haven’t already checked it out i’d highly recommend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mall Grab is an example that a once dull as dishwater DJ can actually transition into a class act (once in a full moon).

He’l probably lose a lot of his fans because of his change in direction but at least he’s playing better music. I should imagine the lo fi scene is completely dead now right? Considering Seinfeld and MG have shunned it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost Village set times have just been released, and i must say, my days are looking stacked! 

Any of you lovely folk got any recommendations? Im pretty easy going with my genres, but one of the treats i've come across so far is Folamour. Anything on their remotely similar to his disco / funky sound? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Lost Village set times have just been released, and i must say, my days are looking stacked! 

Any of you lovely folk got any recommendations? Im pretty easy going with my genres, but one of the treats i've come across so far is Folamour. Anything on their remotely similar to his disco / funky sound? 

Folamour is ace, give his recent Boiler Room a watch if you’ve not! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Folamour is ace, give his recent Boiler Room a watch if you’ve not! 

Not sure if its the most recent, but the one i watched he casually drops ABBA in! If he drops that or something similar at Lost Village its going to be a special moment that's for sure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Lost Village set times have just been released, and i must say, my days are looking stacked! 

Any of you lovely folk got any recommendations? Im pretty easy going with my genres, but one of the treats i've come across so far is Folamour. Anything on their remotely similar to his disco / funky sound? 

Hunee and Todd Terje sound like the exact kind of vibe you're looking for. Other than that I'd be all over Omar S, Eris Drew (did one of my favourite Glastonbury sets in The Temple), HAAi, Inner City, James Holden & the Spirit Animals, Moxie, Shanti Celeste, fair few others.

Edited by Winslow Leach
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Hunee and Todd Terje sound like the exact kind of vibe you're looking for. Other than that I'd be all over Omar S, Eris Drew (did one of my favourite Glastonbury sets in The Temple), HAAi, Inner City, James Holden & the Spirit Animals, Moxie, Shanti Celeste, fair few others.

Nice one bud - appreciate it!

Inner City - 'Good life' came on shuffle the other day and i remembered it instantly. Not too sure on many of their others but as soon as i heard that intro i knew exactly what it was! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Not sure if its the most recent, but the one i watched he casually drops ABBA in! If he drops that or something similar at Lost Village its going to be a special moment that's for sure! 

That’s the one, he played it when I saw him recently so wouldn’t surprise me if he chucked it in again!

Others from the lineup I’d recommend are Peach, Shanti Celeste, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Jayda G and it goes without saying but Artwork!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a ticket to the Jon Hopkins curated night at Printworks in October. It's years since i've been to a club. The line up of Daniel Avery, Hopkins and Seefeel persuaded me to give it a go, i'll probably be the oldest person there! Isn't it a bit unusual to have a band play on a club night with djs?

Edited by Johnnyseven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...