Fleetwood Mac 2015

Matt42

Shit happens. How it affects my enjoyment is up to me.

That's simply not the case for most normal people though. People filming on their phone is distracting and lessens the enjoyment of a gig. You are just being obtuse to deny that.

Like usual.

A great atmosphere improves a gig. If you disagree with that then there's no hope.

That's simply not the case for most normal people though. People filming on their phone is distracting and lessens the enjoyment of a gig. You are just being obtuse to deny that.

Like usual.

A great atmosphere improves a gig. If you disagree with that then there's no hope.

I've already agreed with russy on this one. I'd rather be at a gig where the crowd around me are living in the moment and creating an amazing atmosphere than one where I'm in the middle of a load of drone like sheep with there phones high in the air.

My favourite ever gig is the who at iow 2004 not only for the bands performance but also the emotional investment and atmosphere the crowd had, it was electric that night.

I'm not being obtuse at all. I've ben to gigs, and still go to gigs, where people are doing annoying things. I can let it affect my enjoyment or not. It's not exactly unusual in a room, or a field of a few hundred, or a few thousand people for there to be punters who could piss me off.

Yes, a good atmosphere makes the event more enjoyable, but more often than not, it isn't affecting the performance of the act I've gone to see, which is where I make my focus. That's what I've paid my money for.

You get pissed off?... you're choice. Fill yer boots!

I've just read back through my posts, nowhere did I say I get pissed off or that i don't enjoy the gigs. Just that I prefer it when the crowd are into it.

Which you seem to agree with.

A good atmosphere is very important for live music, other wise you may just well sit at home and listen to the cd

Edited by russycarps

I've just read back through my posts, nowhere did I say I get pissed off or that i don't enjoy the gigs. Just that I prefer it when the crowd are into it.

Which you seem to agree with.

A good atmosphere is very important for live music, other wise you may just well sit at home and listen to the cd

Totally agree.

The best gig i've been to - and i still find this weird - was Daft Punk at Wireless.

What made it so special was that it seemed everyone in the crowd was taken aback at how fucking good it was.

It was a mass collective 'wow' and made for an incredible atmosphere.

And i'm not even that into Daft Punk. The last album is shite.

Totally agree.

The best gig i've been to - and i still find this weird - was Daft Punk at Wireless.

What made it so special was that it seemed everyone in the crowd was taken aback at how fucking good it was.

It was a mass collective 'wow' and made for an incredible atmosphere.

And i'm not even that into Daft Punk. The last album is shite.

Yet ironically, Daft Punk chose not to film that tour, leaving it up to the crowd to do so.

Commenting on the decision, Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter recently told Pitchfork, "The thousands of clips on the internet are better to us than any DVD that could have been released."

Yet ironically, Daft Punk chose not to film that tour, leaving it up to the crowd to do so.

Commenting on the decision, Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter recently told Pitchfork, "The thousands of clips on the internet are better to us than any DVD that could have been released."

I like his attitude. To my ears, when people complain about others filming or taking photos in gigs and not being "in the moment" it's no different to the people in the Headliners thread making arbitrary distinctions between "proper" music fans and people who like Taylor Swift or, heavens forbid, only go to one gig a year. (The horror)

I'm not a big fan of the idea that people are doing gigs 'wrong.' Unless they're doing something actively annoying like chatting throughout obviously, but I view this as a 'being an obnoxious prat' problem rather than an 'experiencing the gig wrong' problem.

• Downvote 1

I like his attitude. To my ears, when people complain about others filming or taking photos in gigs and not being "in the moment" it's no different to the people in the Headliners thread making arbitrary distinctions between "proper" music fans and people who like Taylor Swift or, heavens forbid, only go to one gig a year. (The horror)

I'm not a big fan of the idea that people are doing gigs 'wrong.' Unless they're doing something actively annoying like chatting throughout obviously, but I view this as a 'being an obnoxious prat' problem rather than an 'experiencing the gig wrong' problem.

I think peoples' disdain of fans recording and taking pictures isn't about them doing the gig wrong, it's because they're hoisting a phone up in the air and obstructing views of many more people for naturally shit pictures and videos.

I think peoples' disdain of fans recording and taking pictures isn't about them doing the gig wrong, it's because they're hoisting a phone up in the air and obstructing views of many more people for naturally shit pictures and videos.

Can't say i've ever been unable to see due to people filming or taking pictures personally, but I can see how it could potentially be annoying.

Correct. It's irritating and distracting. One or two pictures is fine, but I've seen people do it for every bloody song. How can you possibly enjoy a gig that way? It baffles me.

I'm taking my dear old mum along as a treat.

I'm terrified by the prospect of the night. I looked at a recent setlist and there is "guitar solo" and "drum battle" listed.

It's gonna be horrendous.

I really take my hat off to you there.

Talking of mums and concerts:

At Enter Shikari at Reading 2010 my mum and I arrived and mum thought it was Shakira, and therefore was absolutely appalled when the post hardcore band took to the stage. I on the other hand loved it! As I knew it was Enter Shikari all along!