Should The John Peel Tent Be Renamed

Guest hairybear

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The Fred Again...Stage.

He made it into the popbitch newsletter for the second week in row... 

"If, after playing a couple of well-publicised sell-out shows in Sydney, you and your entourage decide to go to a local strip club, it's a bad idea to try to use star power to cadge free drinks and dances from the women working there. If someone offers you a freebie, fine. But asking to be given things in exchange for a tag on Instagram is awfully gauche – and leaving no tip is inexcusable."

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

He made it into the popbitch newsletter for the second week in row... 

"If, after playing a couple of well-publicised sell-out shows in Sydney, you and your entourage decide to go to a local strip club, it's a bad idea to try to use star power to cadge free drinks and dances from the women working there. If someone offers you a freebie, fine. But asking to be given things in exchange for a tag on Instagram is awfully gauche – and leaving no tip is inexcusable."

with the same news as last week?

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's a distinct disadvantage. Doesn't seem to hurt actual musicians too much though.

In listening figures, that is. It's pretty bad for their health.

I hear his name regularly on 6music, in the same way that they credit most sessions when they replay them, plus the series they just had every Sunday - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014cg0

I've only really read the other aspect on here and on the links people posted here. 

I tend to fight against the cancelling of people, but I think the wisest strategy is to avoid naming any stage with someone famous from music. Today it's John Peel....but tomorrow it could easily be someone who is currently highly regarded, but has a certain alleged dubious past as well (David Bowie for example, also with underage girls).

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

I tend to fight against the cancelling of people, but I think the wisest strategy is to avoid naming any stage with someone famous from music. Today it's John Peel....but tomorrow it could easily be someone who is currently highly regarded, but has a certain alleged dubious past as well (David Bowie for example, also with underage girls).

The music industry was full of this in the 60's/70's/80's (and may still be). I doubt there's ever been a big rock star who hasn't at some point had sexual relations with someone underage, whether knowingly or not. The Rolling Stones even wrote a song about it and yet were never seriously challenged.

Basically we'd have to cancel a huge number. I agree, don't name stages after famous musicians.