Should The John Peel Tent Be Renamed

Guest hairybear

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Shambala do a good job of this with their woodland.

For some reason I have never been. Well a few things have got in the way in the past. Must make it there.

Always loved The Big Chill, before Festival Republica took over, who duid these things well . Big ambient fan, used to do Ambient sets a few places long time back. Would be love to see an area at Glastonbury for that type of Genre

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was neither. Atrociously named tent.

Edit: ok, it was new the first year.

The name was for the new tent not for new music in it as was clear by Patti Smith on the bill the first year. 

No because If you go down this Rd then guns and Roses shouldn't play.... So rumours have it 

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/how_axl_rose_avoided_statutory_rape_charge_from_a_15-year-old_girl.html

Edited by guypjfreak

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

The name was for the new tent not for new music in it as was clear by Patti Smith on the bill the first year. 

I know, but that's still a terrible name when the tent comes back in subsequent years.

I'm still not convinced it wasn't a retcon "New Bands Tent" is a new "bands tent", not a "new bands" tent? Come on, they bottled it with the programming and stuck some well known acts on to get the punters in.

No matter what way you look at it, it was a terrible name. It was hardly a new tent when it was there the previous year, was it?

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know, but that's still a terrible name when the tent comes back in subsequent years.

I'm still not convinced it wasn't a retcon "New Bands Tent" is a new "bands tent", not a "new bands" tent? Come on, they bottled it with the programming and stuck some well known acts on to get the punters in.

No matter what way you look at it, it was a terrible name. It was hardly a new tent when it was there the previous year, was it?

It was a terrible name in an age of terrible stage nanes the other stage was named about the same time 

Just now, Neil said:

It was a terrible name in an age of terrible stage nanes the other stage was named about the same time 

Yeah, I've grown to like it now through familiarity, but it just seemed so lazy at the time. Other Stage, New Bands Tent, even Jazz Lounge was a bit generic.

John Peel should change because he's just not relevant anymore. The guy didn't make records, nobody is listening to his show now, he's increasingly just known as the nonce.

Maybe they should rename it after the first DJ to use twin turntables and a microphone. Not sure who it was, but can't be any worse, surely?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe they should rename it after the first DJ to use twin turntables and a microphone. Not sure who it was, but can't be any worse, surely?

The DJ Kool Herc Stage? That might be worse.

Edited by incident

33 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Maybe after the other stage just call it The Tent Stage

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, I've grown to like it now through familiarity, but it just seemed so lazy at the time. Other Stage, New Bands Tent, even Jazz Lounge was a bit generic.

John Peel should change because he's just not relevant anymore. The guy didn't make records, nobody is listening to his show now, he's increasingly just known as the nonce.

The other other stage?