The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's the opposite. The coldest nights were probably 2010 cos there were no clouds. 

Apart from 2007 which was just cold all the Bloody time. 

Yeah I remember the contrast being a bit of a surprise given how hot it was in the day now you mention it, although I also remember never needing a jacket that year, just a hoodie to move around in.

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Nah, I found the nights to be fine last year....I think I had two light hoodies with me and a poncho, but I definitely wasn't cold at any point. The two key things being that A. I didn't really ever get wet and B. cloud cover means it's not so chilly as I think it keeps the warmth in somehow. I seem to remember 2014 being the same thought really...not really cold as such at any point. 

Dare I say it? We're hoping for a bit of... cloud at night!? Suppose rain is the true cold killer and getting wet can drop your temp the fastest

3 hours ago, Fork_UK said:

I've only been in 2015 and 2016, but I found the nights in 2015 much colder, even though during the days it was much warmer.  The lack of cloud cover really makes a difference, so make sure you carry a warm jumper of hoodie in your day bag and a light waterproof mac or poncho so you're prepared for both.  

Hoping to have a jumper and a light jacket for most of the time, just hate carrying around so much. Hoping for a little cloud cover then seems to be the consensus

Rest assured folks, there will come a time soon enough when there will be no mud left to get muddy. So much gravel/hay/shavings have been laid down over the years it'll be a permanent bouncy walking situation whatever the weather.

Making me nervous these pics.. 

As someone else has said if it's wet it's hard work.. 

When it's sunny and dry the festival has a special feeling to it.. OK I know in the R.. And Most.. People come together and it's like we're all in this together but in the sun you see all the smiles.. All the camps have life people laughing girls looking fabulous even the men if they can still look good look good.... For the ladies of course 

You can sit anywhere, get anywhere.. The whole place has a special feeling about it.. 

Let's hope we can get that special feeling this year.. If not it'll definitely be my last.. 

5 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Dare I say it? We're hoping for a bit of... cloud at night!? Suppose rain is the true cold killer and getting wet can drop your temp the fastest

Yeh, I reckon so....

So to summarise. We want a week or so of rain now to get it out of the way and soften the ground. Then we want a perfect June, so the ground can dry back out again....then possibly a bit of rain on the Tuesday to wash away and gathered dust, and lush sunny weather throughout, with the odd non-threatening cloud in the day for some intermittent shade and prevent it getting too hot, and a gathering a bit more over night to keep the heat in. I think this is an entirely reasonable request :D

19 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Fucking hell 2010 truly was glorious wasn't it.

Yep! (For those of us who don't burn too badly or get (unexpected) allergies to dust.) 

I thought it was wonderful and so, so many funny sights with people desperately trying to get some shade - the memory of the guy trying to get shade under a bicycle will stay with me forever and will always make me smile.  

I didn't go to 2010, but even in 2015 it felt very hot at times. I remember getting sunburnt in the queue, hiding in permaculture for a bit and even being thankful when the sun started to set on some days - bloody glorious! So much nicer in the sunshine.

However, I do think that last year the mud was very difficult (did my husbands knee an injury before we even got to gate A and got out wristbands, leaving him needing medical attention and hobbling around site the next 5 days) and that drizzily Sunday was the first time in three years that I felt a bit overwhelmed with it all. Needless to say, I pulled myself together and had a fantastic time - possibly my best year so far. I suppose what I'm trying to say is it's mind over matter and also that if we survived last year, it surely can't get much worse? Can it? 

25 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

This was taken on the Saturday in 2015. After a fairly heavy shower on the Friday when some wet mud started to build up, all dried out and fine by the next day :)

IMG_4232.JPG

Glastonbury drys up really quickly cos of the clay.. If it's just a passing shower it can.. Can make the ground better cos it softens it up .. But I'd rather have hard ground with the guarantee of no R that soft ground with the chance of more passing showers.. 

Hope that makes sense 

Happy Sunday all 

Edited by guypjfreak