The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Woffy said:

Liking the upturned wellies!

I think these are same wellies ...always make me think of the morning after the night before......actually they are not same  but happy memories!

image.jpeg.8d6caedcb33a174ccc74f22f4bd10399.jpeg

Edited by chuckles07

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

Ok I'm far enough away to have completely different weather to the site but it's been stonking down here today, even yesterday that was supposed to be mostly wet was actually pretty good and we even missed the storm that submerged Yeovil, they just need to move the festival to crewkerne and all will be good.

Do you live in crewkerne? If so, hello neighbour! :)

On 5/20/2017 at 5:37 PM, The Nal said:

I remember walking back through the campervan field in the early hours in 2014 and there was frost on the mud. Fucking freezing that year at night.

I remembered it being cold but nobody seemed to be talking about it, I knew it wasn't just me being soft! I've been each year since 2013, and 2014 was my least favourite in terms of the conditions. Miserable is the best word for it. It perked up a lot on Sunday, but pretty much every day until then was just damp and cold. In all honesty though, when I think back on each year, I pretty much never remember crap weather, except for the deluges during Mary J Blige in 2015 and Dakhabraka last year, because both times we had a great time dancing in the rain. 2013 and 2015 were both pretty perfect for weather and I'd take them both again.

Starting to worry about not being able to remember what years had good and bad weather. Trying to piece together what the weather was like each year.

i remember pretty much what the weather was like for the whole of 2009 my first year.  Downpour on the Thursday, drizzzly Friday, nice for the rest until the Sunday thunderstorm.

2010- no one forgets the weather this year.

2011- Stood in the queue whilst it rained very heavily, Not sure about Thursday, think it got dangerously muddy in silver Hayes. Friday probably my worst day at Glastonbury cold and wet. Remember it being very hot for the rest of the weekend after that though. Worst year for mud in my opinion. Very sticky and very deep.

2013 - this is a year I don't really remember. Maybe rained Thursday, I remember it was very windy after the stones.

2014-I remember the thunderstorm that shut the stages down on the Friday. But then I remember putting sun cream on before jagwar ma then a big storm hit half an hour later. Don't think it was that bad after that. Seem to remember walking around Shangri la early hours of Friday morning and it was chucking it down.

2015- think this year was good weather. I remember having to sit at the back of Sonic because it was so hot one day. But also remember it raining when peace were on. Think it rained Sunday morning but I was back in trainers late on.

2016- big down pour after skepta then was pretty good until Sunday. When it was just grey and overcast. Mud just sucked the life out of everyone on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Oh, you were close to my in-laws, then. They're in Kingsbury Episcopi. Small world! 

Why is it called that? Episcopi were like Ancient Greek / Athenian city-state or town auditors. 

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

We'll have none of your actual knowledge in here thank you.

It seems there's more than one town with Episcopi in the name and it means 'belonging to the Bishop...', but Google hasn't told me how this relates to the Greek thing. Yet. 

33 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Why is it called that? Episcopi were like Ancient Greek / Athenian city-state or town auditors. 

24 minutes ago, Woffy said:

It seems there's more than one town with Episcopi in the name and it means 'belonging to the Bishop...', but Google hasn't told me how this relates to the Greek thing. Yet. 

I guess the two definitions might well be from the same root word, but Kingsbury Episcopi, and nearby Huish Episcopi, are so called because they belonged to the Bishop of Bath and Wells.

3 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Just watched this video which made me laugh so much as sums up the cement like mud challenge that was in some places :lol:

I love the fact the guy filming never got tired of uttering 'wahey' every time someone went over. There's something quite satisfying about his dedication to the art.

4 hours ago, Smeble said:

Ok I'm far enough away to have completely different weather to the site but it's been stonking down here today, even yesterday that was supposed to be mostly wet was actually pretty good and we even missed the storm that submerged Yeovil, they just need to move the festival to crewkerne and all will be good.

don't be Greedy you used to have Madisons Nightclub :)

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

I guess the two definitions might well be from the same root word, but Kingsbury Episcopi, and nearby Huish Episcopi, are so called because they belonged to the Bishop of Bath and Wells.

You cannot write this without the prefix 'baby eating' :)

6 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

i used to live in maiden newton, my kids still do with their mother

Oh, nice spot! We once hired a house near there for Christmas, in Sydling St. Nicholas. Very nice area. :)

Got bugger all to do with the state of the festival ground, though. Apologies folks!