Foo Fighters

Gozpot

Stuck at home here! It came across as truly epic on the TV - better even than Radiohead (though I know full well from having been as many times as I have how TV can differ from being there). It looked great and that moment where the crowd just refused to stop singing back or stop cheering seemed like a special moment. Grohl had 'the look' in his eyes of a seasoned veteran being taken back by what he was witnessing.

Thoroughly enjoyed it from the sofa with the volume up. Seemed like a 'famous set' from here but from what I've read. mixed in the field?

13 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed it from the sofa with the volume up. Seemed like a 'famous set' from here but from what I've read. mixed in the field?

Definitely more positive than negative. They had their problems (talking too much, shit covers, Taylor singing ever) and maybe being right up front absolutely off my cake helped but the crowd seemed well up for it and well in to it. You could still hear those Best of You 'whoooaaaaas' being sung across the site well in to the night. 

Wasn't that impressed. The good stuff was really good - the first few songs, Best of You, Everlong. They were good performers and of course Grohl is a great frontman.

But much of the middle of the set bored me a bit as did the extended outros. Don't really see why they needed to go over curfew when they played a few songs they really didn't need to (including the Queen cover). Some of Dave's patter got a bit lame after a while. And I just don't like the crowd participation middle bit in Monkey Wrench - the only reason they do that is because Dave's voice can't do THAT bit anymore - but it just slows down a song which was great because of its urgency. 

Deciding to do a shite cover of Under Pressure but only playing 5 songs from your first three albums is a massive error of judgement 

i dont think there's a single person in the world who would prefer to see Taylor sing under pressure over them ripping through Hey Jonny Park or banging out For all the Cows

Edited by Ed209

I was out last night so couldn't watch the Foos live, so had to rewind the whole show which was good in the end because i could look at the setlist and fast-forward to the songs i wanted to watch. What I watched seemed to be a great show, the crowd seemed very up for it (especially those few songs at the start, looked mental).

But as i was fast-forwarding it was clear that almost every song had massive speeches/jams. Kept pressing play after every 15 seconds or so to make sure i wasn't missing too much and most of the times they were still playing the same songs. Monkey Wrench and My Hero both stood out as lasting for ages.

Given that they played after they were meant to finish, their set time was probably very similar to Radiohead's in the end. Yet Radiohead played 5 more songs in that time, with 2 encores.

Really good gig, but could have cut back on extending almost every song.

21 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I was out last night so couldn't watch the Foos live, so had to rewind the whole show which was good in the end because i could look at the setlist and fast-forward to the songs i wanted to watch. What I watched seemed to be a great show, the crowd seemed very up for it (especially those few songs at the start, looked mental).

But as i was fast-forwarding it was clear that almost every song had massive speeches/jams. Kept pressing play after every 15 seconds or so to make sure i wasn't missing too much and most of the times they were still playing the same songs. Monkey Wrench and My Hero both stood out as lasting for ages.

Given that they played after they were meant to finish, their set time was probably very similar to Radiohead's in the end. Yet Radiohead played 5 more songs in that time, with 2 encores.

Really good gig, but could have cut back on extending almost every song.

They've been doing that since the one by one tour (2002). Seen it too many times, completely over it and them until they change up the live show.

13 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Just couldn't quite get into it.

Left after 30mins and checked out War Paint at The Park.

Dave Grohl is a great guy, but as someone said, it's like being told the same joke over and over.  

Agree, I enjoyed it but how many songs could replace huge outros etc, it was worse than RHCP are known for doing it.

I thought they were excellent, apart from Skin And Bones which just seemed to drag on a bit.  Everyone was absolutely rocking where I was stood, and the atmosphere was incredible.  I quite enjoyed the Queen cover too.

I did notice the play song / breakdown / wig-out / finish song formula after a few songs, but I didn't mind it.  I imagine if you've seen them live loads of times it could become tiresome.

Watched it from near the back of the pit, loved it, probably my favourite set of the weekend. I get how if your a fan that the repeated setlists, same between song waffle etc. can get annoying but I've never seen them before and probably never will again but reckon they smashed it.

I must be one of those people whop doesn't like music. 

After leaving Phoenix a little early I headed to a friend's camp to the side of the Pyramid to meet them after they were back from alt-J. When I got there they weren't back yet so I headed over to check out the end of Foos. Realised they were playing Skin and Bones once I was almost there and decided I couldn't be arsed with them so turned back. Heard a shit Under Pressure cover too and then I think the people I was meeting arrived back at camp as I don't remember hearing Everlong (where they were you could hear the stage if you were in silence but not if you were talking).

Couple of my group went and said it was boring af.

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Watched it from near the back of the pit, loved it, probably my favourite set of the weekend. I get how if your a fan that the repeated setlists, same between song waffle etc. can get annoying but I've never seen them before and probably never will again but reckon they smashed it.

I must be one of those people whop doesn't like music. 

I saw them in MK after they pulled out in 2015 and loved it. Saturday I didn't think they were as good, but most of that was just that it felt familiar. The same sort of patter.

Not saying I didn't enjoy it but it was dragging when he was strumming saying how much they would like to play for us etc but not actually playing songs. Seem to remember Monkey Wrench lasting forever? My mate reckons he walked to toilet, went and came back and they were still playing it!

In terms of universal crowd pleasing it was better than Radiohead's, which clearly didn't work for some, but it wasn't as interesting overall for me and I struggled to connect emotionally with the set.

But then, lots did, especially those who had never seen them before, so it was a very good job. Just think a few more songs instead of waffle could have made it an outstanding one.

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Just think a few more songs instead of waffle could have made it an outstanding one.

Yeah even a couple more songs could've made a big difference, and the one-two of Skin & Bones and Under Pressure at the end kind of took me out of the moment (got right back in for Everlong though).

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah even a couple more songs could've made a big difference, and the one-two of Skin & Bones and Under Pressure at the end kind of took me out of the moment (got right back in for Everlong though).

I thought Skin & Bones was ok, but the cover wasn't very special. I know they do it as a bit of a staple, but felt out of place here. Maybe midway through but felt it took some power out of the final punch. 

But then maybe it was because I was chose them over the Dead Kennedys and just wish I'd gone there, having seen this before!