Headliner predictions 2017

swede

Just now, FloorFiller said:

They had two rappers back to back with Pharrell and Kanye and Weller and The Who weren't exactly miles apart so even though they seem to stray from this a lot of the time, if Robbie was offering to play before I doubt they'd say no - that Pyramid crowd will be ginormous for those few hours (likewise with Gaga > Foos if it were to happen).

I'm not against same music/genres back to back per se, but two singers and/or songwriters back to back as Pyramid sub and headliner is pretty uninspiring. Bit of a bore fest for the Pyramid, but then Elbow into Coldplay wasn't any better either! Suppose my taste is out of sync with Robbie and Ed

Gaga into Foos though sounds much better, more lively, fully energetic.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Could Gaga be headlining the Other?

Doubt it - put her up against either Radiohead or Foos and she'd poach a considerable amount of the crowd away to a silly degree. It's being questioned whether she'd even accept a sub slot so Other headliner may be pushing it. She is still massive after all and it wouldn't surprise me to see her billed as a special guest or something similar. If she plays it's got to be the Pyramid.

10 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

I'm not against same music/genres back to back per se, but two singers and/or songwriters back to back as Pyramid sub and headliner is pretty uninspiring. Bit of a bore fest for the Pyramid, but then Elbow into Coldplay wasn't any better either! Suppose my taste is out of sync with Robbie and Ed

Gaga into Foos though sounds much better, more lively, fully energetic.

Aye it may seem like a nightmare for some but I imagine for a lot of people there to see Sheeran Robbie would be an ideal sub. Fuck it, I'd be there for Robbie without a doubt - you'd struggle to keep me away :P 

Just now, jparx said:

I still think Bon Iver will sub one of them. I think the idea of Gaga or Robbie is a bit pie in the sky personally but we'll see.

Aye with him seemingly subbing Beyonce of all people at Coachella then I don't see why he couldn't do the same at Glastonbury to Ed. Not sure how well it'd go down though and could well be another Beck playing to a totally uninterested crowd there to get a spot for the headliner.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye with him seemingly subbing Beyonce of all people at Coachella then I don't see why he couldn't do the same at Glastonbury to Ed. Not sure how well it'd go down though and could well be another Beck playing to a totally uninterested crowd there to get a spot for the headliner.

You might be right - but in the most unscientific way possible I feel as though Bon Iver have more hits that a younger audience would know, and the new album seems to have been a bigger deal thsn Beck's. Beck always felt like an odd booking as a sub headliner, but I think most people would agree Bon Iver fit that slot quite comfortably. 

Edited by jparx

24 minutes ago, sisco said:

Well I've just seen Gaga's UK dates..... October

Except the whole tour actually kicks off in... August. The first leg of US Dates runs through September, then she does another run between November and December, with European shows in October.

Looking at the itinerary, she's got room to add three more UK shows - probably two in London and another in Manchester - and likely will, even if demand isn't as high as expected. But last night's show (which I'm yet to see) apparently reaffirmed her live credentials. (She remains the best pop artist I've seen live bar Kate Bush and Adele.)

19 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I can't be the only one who's just not impressed by a stunt laden musical performance like that? I mean, I can appreciate the spectacle, but it does nothing for me. I can't imagine anything worse than standing watching and hour and half of that. 

Maybe my view is a little out of touch with what's popular these days, but I don't see that much difference between that Superbowl show and Beyonce or even Coldplay at Glastonbury (albeit on a slightly lesser budget ofc). Isn't that what this level of pop music requires? I'm not saying the songs or the music become secondary, but people do seem to be focusing on the overall spectacle rather than Gaga's singing ability (for the record, she can clearly sing too). Maybe that's what people demand from their pop megastars since the likes of Michael Jackson's huge shows changed the game?

I'm with you, I'd sooner be blown away by a stripped back vocal performance. Sparkly clothes, lights and confetti canons impress for the first five minutes...

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ed is "vehemently opposed" to secondary ticketing.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/ed-sheeran-secondary-ticketing-1967654

Not opposed enough to actually do anything about it mind...

In all honesty, Ed (nor any other pop stars) really  give that much of a damn about it, despite what they may say.

At the end of the day, they sell out all their tour dates in minutes and get their full pay day for themselves l and their management team. Whether these go to actual fans or not doesn't matter to them, despite what they say.

Ed could have demanded photo ID tickets limited to 2 of 4 per order if he really wanted to, but that's costly and risky in the fact that certain dates may not have sold out instantly.

And don't get me started on the price he was charging for a ticket in the first place ..... 

8 minutes ago, king_oxymoron said:

Does the timing of the Gaga tour make her less likely? Or have no real impact? I have sort of sold myself the idea she will be there and last night made me want it to be true so bad!

obvs less likely than a tour with UK dates immediately wrapped around Glasters would have made her but she'll still be there.. and I agree, just watched it back, what a show

1 hour ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I can't be the only one who's just not impressed by a stunt laden musical performance like that? I mean, I can appreciate the spectacle, but it does nothing for me. I can't imagine anything worse than standing watching and hour and half of that. 

I can't be the only one who was hoping that the cables snapped and she fell 150ft into the crowd? That would've been a show.