Headliner predictions 2017

swede

25 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

....gig on Friday.

At the Cheese and Grain where earlier in the day you can enjoy a potatoe and seed swap :D

53 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

What happened with them Foo Fighters plane tickets then?

Can't believe you haven't read 10 pages of hot Foo action on the Next Announcement thread. The dearest of all threads.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Finding leto14 said:

3 white male/ guitar playing headliners.... brexit is the true winner here

Exactly this - although I think its a solid set of headliners I do like it when someone different rocks up, 3 white males are not showing the diversity of the world and music ... and yes lots of other stages etc 

12 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Exactly this - although I think its a solid set of headliners I do like it when someone different rocks up, 3 white males are not showing the diversity of the world and music ... and yes lots of other stages etc 

Ok then, out of the available acts who are touring at the time, who would you feasibly have who could diversify the headliners? Gaga is over much later in the summer, and Kendrick & Drake, who are probably the biggest hip hop/rap artists seemingly have no European touring plans at that time. Beyonce is a no for obvious reasons. What other feasible options do the festival have available to them, which aren't white male guitar acts? Katy Perry? Calvin Harris?

I just don't think the potential headliner pool available for this year offers any real diversity, and that's not the fault of Glastonbury. 

21 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Ok then, out of the available acts who are touring at the time, who would you feasibly have who could diversify the headliners? Gaga is over much later in the summer, and Kendrick & Drake, who are probably the biggest hip hop/rap artists seemingly have no European touring plans at that time. Beyonce is a no for obvious reasons. What other feasible options do the festival have available to them, which aren't white male guitar acts? Katy Perry? Calvin Harris?

I just don't think the potential headliner pool available for this year offers any real diversity, and that's not the fault of Glastonbury. 

While I mainly agree with you, Gaga could do it. She's widely understood to be playing and probably subbing. Bumping her up would add gender and genre diversity at least.

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

Strong set of headliners, 2 new ones and a returning legend. 

A lot of people won't be happy but I think they have done well this year. 

In my opinion, this is stronger than last year.

Radiohead are an exciting booking, Ed Sheeran is probably the biggest contemporary act they could get right now - this is probably his commercial peak as well, and the Foo Fighters coming back [as it looks - to right the wrongs of 2015 with their pull out].

I think the Foos and Coldplay are pretty similar bands [not in musical style] but in size, and I think the Foos have a bit more excitement behind them.

As well as being three acts that are undoubtedly big enough to headline, I can imagine all three of them playing fantastic sets... whereas I had a feeling Muse would probably let people down, Adele wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and Coldplay might be a bit stale. Therefore I think that this is a strong year for the pyramid in terms of quality

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

While I mainly agree with you, Gaga could do it. She's widely understood to be playing and probably subbing. Bumping her up would add gender and genre diversity at least.

It's not a question of whether she could do it or not - I'm pretty sure that Emily agrees you

but if she's not touring / ready at the time she's not ready at the time.

I am fully onboard with the argument that diversifying and expanding lineup options is the best thing for festivals, however if the acts aren't there... then you can't book them. It's not Emily's fault that Gaga is only available in the fall

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It's not a question of whether she could do it or not - I'm pretty sure that Emily agrees you

but if she's not touring / ready at the time she's not ready at the time.

I am fully onboard with the argument that diversifying and expanding lineup options is the best thing for festivals, however if the acts aren't there... then you can't book them. It's not Emily's fault that Gaga is only available in the fall

Is this right? Is Gaga ruled out now? 

49 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

You don't think RH, Foo's and Ed are different from.each other?

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You don't think RH, Foo's and Ed are different from.each other?

My response was towards the 3 white male guitar acts who are headlining. Of course they are all different from one another, but they are all still white, male guitar led acts which was the point I was addressing. 

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this is news to me!

Her tour dates being considerably later than June gives less reason to  believe the rumour she's playing. I agree with you, I'd have her headline, but if she's not available then it's a no go from the start.

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In my opinion, this is stronger than last year.

Radiohead are an exciting booking, Ed Sheeran is probably the biggest contemporary act they could get right now - this is probably his commercial peak as well, and the Foo Fighters coming back [as it looks - to right the wrongs of 2015 with their pull out].

I think the Foos and Coldplay are pretty similar bands [not in musical style] but in size, and I think the Foos have a bit more excitement behind them.

As well as being three acts that are undoubtedly big enough to headline, I can imagine all three of them playing fantastic sets... whereas I had a feeling Muse would probably let people down, Adele wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and Coldplay might be a bit stale. Therefore I think that this is a strong year for the pyramid in terms of quality

Radiohead> Muse. That's just obvious. Adele=Ed both huge in their own rights and can't see much of difference. Both could sell Wembley 7 nights on trot if they wanted. Coldplay > foos. I'm sorry whatever you lot think of Coldplay they are worldwidely more successful than foos and also their Sunday slot last year was epic. Yes Coldplay can bore off now they've milked this album far too long but they are undoubtedly bigger than foos

Edited by Finding leto14

6 minutes ago, Finding leto14 said:

Radiohead> Muse. That's just obvious. Adele=Ed both huge in their own rights and can't see much of difference. Both could sell Wembley 7 nights on trot if they wanted. Coldplay > foos. I'm sorry whatever you lot think of Coldplay they are worldwidely more successful than foos and also their Sunday slot last year was epic. Yes Coldplay can bore off now they've milked this album far too long but they are undoubtedly bigger than foos

I'd agree with that, but I'd put Adele slightly ahead of Ed. They was she disappears and comes back every few years, when she does the hype around her is definitely a bit bigger than Ed.