Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, fur_q said:

No but I've just found the daily rainfall data going back to 2000 for Yeovilton (the nearest weather station)

image.jpeg

Totals are in mm, 2014 looks a bit off to me but remember this is a few miles away

All hail the Precipitation Thingy!

9 hours ago, fur_q said:

No but I've just found the daily rainfall data going back to 2000 for Yeovilton (the nearest weather station)

image.jpeg

Totals are in mm, 2014 looks a bit off to me but remember this is a few miles away

Saturday 2014 is way, way off IMO.  It didn't put that much down I'm sure.  It rained persistently on Wednesday in 2011 too as it was the one year I got rained on in the queue and putting up the tent.  Wasn't heavy but it rained for hours.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Taken a turn for the worse this morning. Multiple thunderstorms now. Even Metcheck showing rain on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Really doesn't look good. 

You forgot the sandstorms, plagues of locust, forest fires, biblical tidal floods and the curse of spontaneously combusting tents.

20 hours ago, eastynh said:

So basically I spend most of the year in the north west, where it pisses it down all the time. Last month I went to London and it pissed it down, and now it is looking like the heavens will open when I go to Glastonbury.

I don't think that's what the met office are suggesting based on their interpretation of the model they have access to. The update below suggests a similar thing, with drier warmer conditions favoured further south and east. So far it's looking promising for nothing horrific. Still miles and miles away in meteorological terms though, so it's still anyones guess really.

UK Outlook for Friday 10 Jun 2016 to Friday 24 Jun 2016:

Currently it looks likely that generally settled conditions will continue until the start of this period. This means we can expect a good deal of dry and bright weather for many parts of the country, particularly in the north and west where the best of any warm and sunny weather should be. There will probably be some wetter intervals mixed in, these most likely in the south and east, making it feel cooler at times. Towards mid June, there is a chance that more unsettled conditions could become established, bringing some cooler and wetter weather to northern and western parts, while drier, warmer conditions become favoured towards the south and east.

Updated at: 1201 on Thu 26 May 2016

47 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Taken a turn for the worse this morning. Multiple thunderstorms now. Even Metcheck showing rain on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Really doesn't look good. 

Still good Wednesday!

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Saturday 2014 is way, way off IMO.  It didn't put that much down I'm sure.  It rained persistently on Wednesday in 2011 too as it was the one year I got rained on in the queue and putting up the tent.  Wasn't heavy but it rained for hours.

Yes having been to alm those festivals (excluding 2000) Saturday 2014 is the only one that doesn't tally my memory of the festival, interestingly Filton (near Bristol, the next nearest station) only recorded 0.8 mm

Hang on.  Just a thought, was 2014 on the Saturday when there was that almighty thunderstorm that closed a load of stages?  Did it really put down that much rain in that short time?  Blinkin' Flip!

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Hang on.  Just a thought, was 2014 on the Saturday when there was that almighty thunderstorm that closed a load of stages?  Did it really put down that much rain in that short time?  Blinkin' Flip!

The thunderstorm was on the Friday but there was also heavy rain on the Saturday - during Robert plant I think

13 hours ago, fur_q said:

image.jpeg

Definitely not accurate for Wednesday 2011. It pissed it down! I arrived alone laden down with stuff as my friends couldn't come until Thursday and pitched the tent virtually blind. It was raining so hard I couldn't see a thing! I also ruined a pair of shoes in the mud though I suppose that's my fault for not wearing my wellies (it was sunny when I left London...)

7 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Definitely not accurate for Wednesday 2011. It pissed it down! I arrived alone laden down with stuff as my friends couldn't come until Thursday and pitched the tent virtually blind. It was raining so hard I couldn't see a thing! I also ruined a pair of shoes in the mud though I suppose that's my fault for not wearing my wellies (it was sunny when I left London...)

Yup, we arrived in our minibus and my mate to slow it to a crawl as the rain was that heavy for about 5 mins he couldn't really see.  Brightened up considerably after an hour or so and was great by the mid-afternoon i think.

5 hours ago, fur_q said:

Saturday total for 2014 is the he one that looks a bit off to me, whereas most of the others seem to tally quite well with my experience. Remember that although this is the nearest weather station it's still 14 miles away but overall I think it does give a good mesure of the different conditions in different years

Yeah Saturday 2014 can't be right. It definitely didn't rain that much. Did it? How drunk was I????

4 minutes ago, Dr Glasto said:

Yeah Saturday 2014 can't be right. It definitely didn't rain that much. Did it? How drunk was I????

The state i was in in 2014.. if there was actually that much rain, without a shadow of a doubt, I would have managed to drown. I'm still here, it must be wrong

Edited by Michaelgball

4 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

You forgot the sandstorms, plagues of locust, forest fires, biblical tidal floods and the curse of spontaneously combusting tents.

This description is fairly close to my experience at Southside 2011 in Germany. Hope the weather is good for Glasto :)

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:38 AM, devonhammer said:

J10 (formerly known as JackOne) has started posting on NetWeather:

The first JackOne update is when I know we're really close, nearly there...

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/85641-glastonbury-2016-22-26-june/

Edited by Greenelk