2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Grandaddy are meant to be releasing their first single in a decade 'Way We Won't' next week. There are phone recordings online but I'll hang on.

Also announced a last minute intimate show at Oslo in Hackney on Tuesday night. Tix on sale tomorrow at 8am. @Woffy

I couldn't resist and had a look. Seemed good. Normally metronomic Grandaddy but then a bit of riffage at the end with cheesy synths. Textbook!

Saw the tweet last night, Dental. I'm a bit peeved as I've booked the week off to spend the last week of the summer hols with the Wofflings. May attempt to 'take' Woffling No. 2 as *a treat for him*!

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Grandaddy are meant to be releasing their first single in a decade 'Way We Won't' next week. There are phone recordings online but I'll hang on.

Also announced a last minute intimate show at Oslo in Hackney on Tuesday night. Tix on sale tomorrow at 8am. @Woffy

Just remembered:

@GETOFFAMYLAWNis at Green Man. Lucky fucker!

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

so new American Football album announced. sick

The song is good and all but for most of the song it reminds me more of Owen than American Football. Mike has matured and grown over the years as a vocalist and it shows here but I prefer it when he's softer and more gentle. I mean the vocals are great and work for Owen but they just don't feel right here. Anyway I still think the album is going to be great as the best bits of American Football for me was the guitar work and most of the song on the self titled album don't even have Mike singing for most of them so I'm presuming the same here. Want to see them in February but it's £30 and I'd have to get down to London which a hassle so I'm 50/50 about making my way down there or holding out for some more shows at the moment. Also this song includes no trumpet which is the worst offensive

1 minute ago, justanothername said:

The song is good and all but for most of the song it reminds me more of Owen than American Football. Mike has matured and grown over the years as a vocalist and it shows here but I prefer it when he's softer and more gentle. I mean the vocals are great and work for Owen but they just don't feel right here. Anyway I still think the album is going to be great as the best bits of American Football for me was the guitar work and most of the song on the self titled album don't even have Mike singing for most of them so I'm presuming the same here. Want to see them in February but it's £30 and I'd have to get down to London which a hassle so I'm 50/50 about making my way down there or holding out for some more shows at the moment. Also this song includes no trumpet which is the worst offensive

As far as Pop Punk goes I'll rank American Football's latest effort somewhere between Jimmy Eat World's latest song and Bowling for Soup's latest single

On 8/17/2016 at 11:50 PM, dentalplan said:

I was listening to Whitney's Light Upon the Lake this afternoon and just thought that I was expecting it to be a massive summer album when I first listened and it never really landed like that. Urgent appeal to eFesters: while it's still summer for the next few weeks, if you're going for a drive or a picnic then put that album on your aux/speakers and fall in love yo.

Cheers for this dental, not many new releases have appealed recently but this is just the ticket. As you say, perfect for the sunshine. Though I do find the lo-fi production quite annoying .

17 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Cheers for this dental, not many new releases have appealed recently but this is just the ticket. As you say, perfect for the sunshine. Though I do find the lo-fi production quite annoying .

I still haven't listened past No Woman because it's so good that I just keep skipping back to the beginning once it's finished. 

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think Chromatics and Jai Paul are the only ones left on the long-trailed album bingo card. I don't feel like Dear Tommy's release is in sight, sadly.

Well they've announced a tracklist at least. http://diymag.com/2016/08/25/chromatics-dear-tommy-video-tracklist , plus they've replied to a comment on Facebook stating that it will be out this year, so I'm slightly optimistic 

Edited by zero000

18 hours ago, zero000 said:

Well they've announced a tracklist at least. http://diymag.com/2016/08/25/chromatics-dear-tommy-video-tracklist , plus they've replied to a comment on Facebook stating that it will be out this year, so I'm slightly optimistic 

Narcissistic self quote, but here's the link with the comment: 

Edited by zero000

Has anyone else had a listen to that Banks and Steel? I'm a big Interpol fan and a big RZA fan but I found it pretty uninspiring. I'll give it another go in the week probably but I was hoping for something a bit more adventurous than some rapping over Interpol seeing as they spent 3 years on it. Having said that I'd see them if they came to Glastonbury.

13 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Spanish band "The Parrots" are supporting King Gizzard in manchester.

I knew little of them, sounds good to me though, here is a pretty new video:

Not sure if they are on the radar of people on here or not.

I saw them in the crows nest before an Al Doyle DJ set on the Thursday and they were absolutely brilliant, pretty energetic

Weird because when I searched the lineup they didn't appear to be anywhere else on the bill