2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So we're halfway in... What's everyone's top 3 so far?

1) Beyoncé - Lemonade

2) Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

3) Kiran Leonard - Grapefruit 

P.S. I've not been as active with new music this year, so will check out anything people throw in there.

Edited by CHRLY

11 minutes ago, CHRLY said:

So we're halfway in... What's everyone's top 3 so far?

1) Beyoncé - Lemonade

2) Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

3) Kiran Leonard - Grapefruit 

1) LUH. - Spiritual Songs For Lovers to Sing

2) The Hotelier - Goodness

3) Tokyo Police Club - Melon Collie and the Infinite Radness (Part 1)

On 5/19/2016 at 9:17 PM, eastynh said:

Not new as such, well not new at all but how have I missed out on Cut Copy down the years? Just listening to their stuff now. Have heard a few in passing but had no idea who they were. There are a few bands I have got into late and been gutted as it felt like I missed out on something. Can add Cut Copy to that list now.

I missed out on so much good music in the noughties and only just catching up with it all now.

Presumably you're aware of Jagwar Ma?  I'd guess the Venn diagram of people who like those bands is essentially a circle. 

I'm going to dedicate this evening to getting through that James Blake album @TomViolence, I've been told by so many people that I need to. I actually caught him playing Retrograde when he played the Park in 2014(?), t was pretty impressive, though I've always liked that tune - just couldn't get into the album. 

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Presumably you're aware of Jagwar Ma?  I'd guess the Venn diagram of people who like those bands is essentially a circle. 

Yeah I thought they sounded like a dodgy Madchester band. Gave them another go over the weekend after they were recommended on here. Still a bit nonplussed with them. Reminded me of a poor mans Paris Angels.

I thought they were worlds apart from Cut/Copy though. Cut/Copy are everything I so so wanted LCD Soundsystem to be. 

Just now, eastynh said:

Yeah I thought they sounded like a dodgy Madchester band. Gave them another go over the weekend after they were recommended on here. Still a bit nonplussed with them. Reminded me of a poor mans Paris Angels.

I thought they were worlds apart from Cut/Copy though. Cut/Copy are everything I so so wanted LCD Soundsystem to be

Really??  Fair enough.  I quite like them, but I wouldn't say that.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Really??  Fair enough.  I quite like them, but I wouldn't say that.

LCD leave me cold. It is all a bit too kool for skool and a tad pretentious for my tastes. Cut/Copy have a warmth and feeling about them, which I don't hear in LCD. 

36 minutes ago, CHRLY said:

I'm going to dedicate this evening to getting through that James Blake album @TomViolence, I've been told by so many people that I need to.

You'll have to set aside a fair chunk of your evening (it clocks in at around 76 minutes) but hopefully it'll be worthwhile!

46 minutes ago, CHRLY said:

I actually caught him playing Retrograde when he played the Park in 2014(?), t was pretty impressive, though I've always liked that tune - just couldn't get into the album. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you there... I liked Overgrown when it came out but as time has gone on I just can't get back into it and it's only a few tracks that stand out for me now (Retrograde, Life Round Here, Take Me For a Fall and the title track).