Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

Just now, justperfect said:

So it was ELO that he wispered into mark owns ear on TFI.

Chris evans is in the circle of trust then

let's kidnap him and burn him with cigarettes until he tells us who the headliners are

as for ELO, not arsed either way. i'll check them out a bit more in the hope of being swayed but it might be nice to be elsewhere this year and fingers crossed there's a good alternative for me like there has been the past few years

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad I will get to see these. I was pretty flabbergasted about the ticket prices for the tour and was always pretty sure they'd play after the rumours so I am glad that they are announced, first time since Paul Simon I will have bothered with the legends slot.

Now all we need is Coldplay to split up or something and Radiohead to be announced :D

26 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I didn't. I remember quite a few looking forward to Lionel. Most people under 25 would have known 4-5 songs Lionel played at least. How many ELO songs will those people know? 

Dont get me wrong, I know he's got a lot of fans too but doesn't have anything like the widespread appeal many of the best legends slot people had. 

The entire greatest hits if you believe ELO fans. Most people will only know that one about Mr Bluebird, or something like that ;)

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

The entire greatest hits if you believe ELO fans. Most people will only know that one about Mr Bluebird, or something like that ;)

i definitely know more of their songs, even if i wasn't sure it was ELO who performed them, and i'm sure it'll be the same for others, but it's definitely not the worldwide-recognised name that Dolly and Lionel were that's for sure (which isn't a problem mind - they couldn't just keep trying to one-up themselves with huge karaoke acts i guess)

Just now, eFestivals said:

It's defo a quality booking compared to the laughable stuff of the last few years.

I think so, yeah. It was in danger of becoming a kitsch 'joke' booking. This is undoubtedly easy going feelgood music too, but of a different calibre

It's interesting, as to what arcade fireman was saying. With several of the bookings over the last few years, big big names, names that everyone recognises, but how many actual songs can the casual fan name. Might be true of ELO, but also equally true of Kenny Roger, Dolly etc. 4-5 massive tunes, then they play a few of the latest album, and a couple that 90% of the crowd don't know. I reckon ELO willplay their hits and there'll be a trace memory kicking in for a lot of people. I'm ready to be surprised

Great booking and currently very relevant.

One of the best musicians and producers of our lifetime playing the Legends slot.

Certainly not a Novelty act so might not pack the field out like Dolly did but sure to go down well with the over 30s generation.

Charging between £60 and £100 for his own gigs in arenas this year so it's a bargain as well. 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's defo a quality booking compared to the laughable stuff of the last few years.

1 minute ago, mungo57 said:

I'd give you rep for that if I could Neil, my thoughts entirely. Load of tripe last few years!

Agree for sure, after a good start in the early years of it, it's became too much of a novelty and starting to become a bit of a joke really, anyone saying meh/unsure about the booking, who were you expected to be booked that hasn't played it - that wouldn't be a continuation of the drivel? 

As a 20 year old who probably knows more about music than most my age (mainly due to posting on here for years) I think I knew 2 Lionel songs before he was announced and 2 or 3 Dolly songs, and I knew 2 ELO songs before giving them a proper listen after my dad got tickets for us to see him. So I'm not sure on the comments about people knowing none of their songs.

I guess it depends on your musical upbringing. My parents always thought Lionel was the worst of the worst so he was never ever played in our house.

Perfect booking for me. Best they could have got other than unrealistic ones like Elton, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin.

Seeing ELO in April as well so if they're great I'll happily see them again; if I don't enjoy it I'll skip them at Glasto, and if there's someone else clashing I want to see I can happily give them a miss having already seen them.

Happy days.

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

Agree for sure, after a good start in the early years of it, it's became too much of a novelty and starting to become a bit of a joke really, anyone saying meh/unsure about the booking, who were you expected to be booked that hasn't played it - that wouldn't be a continuation of the drivel? 

Yep, I saw the legends slot the first few Glastonbury's I went to - I avoided Kenny like the plague and would have done the same for Dolly if I was there that year. I half toyed with Lionel last year but wisely decided to leave it and make sure of my place for Steel Pulse instead who were bloody great.

This year though the wrongs have been righted and this will be a great booking. Hit after hit in the (hopefully!) summer sun and blue sky...... although I bet as soon as they do Mr. Blue Sky it fucking tips it down or snows

4 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

At least it puts the "what did Chris Evans whisper" argument to bed. How anybody heard anything other than ELO is beyond me.

I was the same. Heard ELO first time and stuck with it. No surprise he knew, I think he is their biggest superfan isn't he?

Great booking and will be singing all of the songs as I was bought up with listening to my brothers complete collection. I remember spending half a summer holiday traipsing through record shops in North Devon looking for a limited edition blue vinyl of Out Of The Blue. When he found it it was like he'd found the holy grail. Perhaps showing my age my shall be partying like the rest.