Hidden Glastonbury

dimus

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there's a line between secret and not publicised, its pretty clear there are shit loads of things / places / happenings / gigs that are going on all over the place at Glastonbury that some of us will never be fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time, some people seem to know everything and others like me know very little - even after 8 visits out of the last 9 possible festivals.

Being on here gives you some chance to get some info and plan ahead but in the end i think it's just mostly about luck and being observant on the day / night, which for me goes out of the window by the end of Wednesday, all the planning in the world ends up meaning nothing as i always end up just going with the Glastonbury flow - which i really think is why i keep getting drawn back into going year after year - it's just big world of oppurtunity and it doesn't matter in the end what you do or don't do, you still just end up having a great time and loving the place even more!    

7 hours ago, FatAmmy said:

So clearly everyone knows about the rabbit hole and the piano bar...what about the places so secret they don't even get brought up in these threads? 

My advice particularly in Shangri La is to try any doors and knock them as well.  I knocked one door in shangri la a few years ago and no one came, decided to give it one more knock and someone answered, proceeded to go up a windy passage to a really small bar with about 10 of us there, was surreal

You can normally tell if there is something more than you see but I'll let you think that one out ;)

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

Hidden areas sound great fun on the surface, but shitty door staff would quickly ruin the party. There's just no need for it whatsoever, and any area attracting w*nky pretentious types isn't an area worth visiting, secret or not. 

Useful to have areas though that do attract the pretentious types, then we'll know where they all are and can avoid them. 

There's the rabbit hole bar/tent, the outdoors one clearly sign posted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this 'secret rabbit hole' is the small tunnel you crawl through underneath the giant carrot which always has a massive queue for it? It's not particularly hard to find. The first tunnel is the only tunnel I seen in there though...

15 hours ago, FatAmmy said:

So clearly everyone knows about the rabbit hole and the piano bar...what about the places so secret they don't even get brought up in these threads? 

The top secret stuff will be what changes from year to year - or at least not around long enough to gain a cult status on the internet.

So have a poke around, knock on things and have a look around curtains. I've done a few "secret" fun things and accidentally ended up in a crew bar doing so. The worst that can happen is someone yelling at you to piss off.

23 minutes ago, flyleen said:

Casually strolled into a crew bar one year and got to enjoy a Fatboy Slim Dj set. Enjoy the moment, enjoy wherever you are and go where the flow takes you...that is the magic of Glastonbury festival.

Haha yeh, I always imagine i'm just gonna walk in on some sort of crew security briefing or what not. Fat boy slim tho...different kettle of fish!

Top tips for finding yourself in a crew bar: pull your sleeves over your wristband and get in the question about "so where do you work" in first. Crew love talking about where they're working and what they're doing, it seems.

They probably won't care if you're not crew, but it helps to not feel like an intrusive fuck.

19 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Not had an issue with the piano bad security staff as we walked straight in but I thought the underground piano curator(?) was a massive bellend. There were a couple of murmurs in the crowd of mainly people enjoying themselves and the moment, and he shouted for everyone to shut the fuck up. Really dampened the spirit and it wasn't exactly a fun experience. 

Still cool to finally find the place and tick it off the list though, but I wouldn't exactly rush to go there again. 

I had a similar experience to you in 2015 once inside. Initially it was surreal and brilliant, but quickly turned sour because of that curator guy and other shady individuals. I can understand respecting the artists and being quiet, but being forced to do so because some guy has shouted shut the fuck up really ruined the atmosphere. I dunno, I've never been in a proper Irish or traveller pub/bar/whatever before, maybe that's just how it is? After a while felt really out of place, I doubt that was just because of the state I was in.

Probably won't be going there again, but yeah, good to tick of the list.

It isn't a secret but the woman only area was disguised as a nail bar and had a queue of men and women there. I joined with my husband wondering what it was and a lady came and ushered me through and told my partner to carry on waiting. A guy in front of me even complained that I was queue jumping!

Anyway, went inside while a twerking workshop was going on and had a nice chat on some comfy sofas with some ladies. Quite good really.

On 29/04/2017 at 7:20 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

To be honest - and I'm in no way telling you what to do as it's your call as it happened to you - but I reckon the eavii and gfl would want to know and welcome that letter. 

Welcome is probably the wrong word but hopefully you know what I mean. Can't see Mike and Emily wanting that in their garden. 

Yeah, two years and two shitty experiences. I've witnesses for the first (asking for drugs to skip the queue) but was alone for the second gropey one which obviously made it worse. Will have a sit down and compose something. Then decide on whether to hit send. 

On 29/04/2017 at 7:04 PM, H.M.V said:

Its either humiliation or hand over drugs to a bunch of self important west brit dubs. 

I'd try again if i could remember the name of the woman at the airport although to be fair, i doubt she would accommodate me seeing as i told her a story about the staff and it turned out to be a gropey story about her fella. That kind of behaviour has no place at Glastonbury and I'm amazed I've not actually written a letter to HQ. Being titty groped is the fucking pits. 

Eew. Eew. Fucking eew :(

I have no idea what it was, or if it was even a secret area, but in 2015, I was right up at the top of The Park, sat up against the fence, and I really needed to pee and couldn't be bothered to walk all the way back down.

So, there is a little tree area, that is fenced off. I thought I would slip between the wall and the fence, and go pee in my empty bottle. When I got behind there, there were some flags hanging between the trees, with Hebrew or Arabic writing or something on them. It really baffled me as to what it was.

It was strange, because as I was leaving, I bumped into a couple of girls, and they said they were looking for the Rabbit Hole, and they thought it might be there. I didn't think it was though. I couldn't see them putting a fence around a venue!

I did take a couple of pictures in there, but I just can't find them now :(

4 hours ago, Untz said:

Top tips for finding yourself in a crew bar: pull your sleeves over your wristband and get in the question about "so where do you work" in first. Crew love talking about where they're working and what they're doing, it seems.

They probably won't care if you're not crew, but it helps to not feel like an intrusive fuck.

I was looking for a less busy loo in near shangrla last year and managed to wander into the crew bar there, and spent some good time and not a small amount on money on very nice beers and enjoyed the chilled out atmosphere. not sure i'd have the balls to out and out blag my way in, not without some sort of crew wristband anyway.

Only visited the Piano bar once (2016) and a pretty similar experience to most here. I never actually got in but after watching the sunrise at the stone circle we headed over with a group who knew its location. Queue was still pretty big then. About 20 people or so and not moving. The guy at the front on the door, an older dude about 50-60 years of age dressed in a suit stating anyone who would give him any cocaine would be immediately allowed in. A few gave him some bumps and were granted access. A few without drugs began to push past anyway and climbed up the entrance (there was some weird obstacle course to get in using a rope). He wasn't happy about this and was shouting at the whole queue to fuck off and that nobody else was allowed in.

We went down to the side entrance and there was a very narrow alleyway and a woman standing there who appeared to be letting people in. A few had special wristbands on and would show here and be granted access. It was 7am by this point and I left and headed back to my tent. The lady let my friends in shortly afterwards at this side entrance.

All in all quite a shady location. Not sure I'd want to go back this year but was an experience nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks.

I have never written on an internet page before but a good friend showed me some of the stuff you have said in relation to the space you seem to know as 'the underground piano bar' and I felt a need to throw in my two punts. 

So what has happened in recent years is that the voluntary workers (especially the ones travelling over from Ireland) have been slogging it out in the mud on a hard graft up until the place eventually opens. The drink starts flowing fast and hard and as the night progress's the door staff can chop, change and drop quickly and constantly with god fucking knows who taking the reins in the thick of it until the arse falls out of the entire operation and the gig goes to muck. It has happened that some 'Irish' opportunists have relieved actual crew from the door and taken advantage of the position they unjustly acquired... a little like the history of the English in Ireland if you may. This has led to a clamp down on door shenanigans and has led to suspect piss takers been fucked out last year never to return. One complete clown bollocks even got a well deserved amount of shite kicked into him.

Now, I'm not saying that Mickey Joe Rooney the road bowler, from the County Bog, who volunteers to come over next year for his first time out of Ireland wont be bananas on stout and may not be to everybody's taste or social caliber... but the dung suckers who have been leeching off the back of our blood, sweat and morning after fears (not talking about the British establishment here) will be given no quarter if we ever get over there again.

Excuse the English... its me second language. Hope to see you all in the rabid hole and at the legendary steam boat men in the green fields as I got a ticket to head across the water meself as a guest this year anyway (thanks Matt!). And some inside info for ye all for the week thats in it... Germany Corbin was in the ra!

Love and poitin

Edited by paddynavvie

On 4/30/2017 at 9:50 PM, K2SO said:

I have no idea what it was, or if it was even a secret area, but in 2015, I was right up at the top of The Park, sat up against the fence, and I really needed to pee and couldn't be bothered to walk all the way back down.

So, there is a little tree area, that is fenced off. I thought I would slip between the wall and the fence, and go pee in my empty bottle. When I got behind there, there were some flags hanging between the trees, with Hebrew or Arabic writing or something on them. It really baffled me as to what it was.

It was strange, because as I was leaving, I bumped into a couple of girls, and they said they were looking for the Rabbit Hole, and they thought it might be there. I didn't think it was though. I couldn't see them putting a fence around a venue!

I did take a couple of pictures in there, but I just can't find them now :(

Tibetan prayer flags maybe?

sikkim_gangtok_prayer_flags1.jpg

2 hours ago, paddynavvie said:

Hey folks.

I have never written on an internet page before but a good friend showed me some of the stuff you have said in relation to the space you seem to know as 'the underground piano bar' and I felt a need to throw in my two punts. 

So what has happened in recent years is that the voluntary workers (especially the ones travelling over from Ireland) have been slogging it out in the mud on a hard graft up until the place eventually opens. The drink starts flowing fast and hard and as the night progress's the door staff can chop, change and drop quickly and constantly with god fucking knows who taking the reins in the thick of it until the arse falls out of the entire operation and the gig goes to muck. It has happened that some 'Irish' opportunists have relieved actual crew from the door and taken advantage of the position they unjustly acquired... a little like the history of the English in Ireland if you may. This has led to a clamp down on door shenanigans and has led to suspect piss takers been fucked out last year never to return. One complete clown bollocks even got a well deserved amount of shite kicked into him.

Now, I'm not saying that Mickey Joe Rooney the road bowler, from the County Bog, who volunteers to come over next year for his first time out of Ireland wont be bananas on stout and may not be to everybody's taste or social caliber... but the dung suckers who have been leeching off the back of our blood, sweat and morning after fears (not talking about the British establishment here) will be given no quarter if we ever get over there again.

Excuse the English... its me second language. Hope to see you all in the rabid hole and at the legendary steam boat men in the green fields as I got a ticket to head across the water meself as a guest this year anyway (thanks Matt!). And some inside info for ye all for the week thats in it... Germany Corbin was in the ra!

Love and poitin

The fuck does this mean @Will-2609

On 2014-4-30 at 11:35 AM, Pinhead said:

'Tis found at the top of old Dragon Field....

Also easily missed:

Iona Camp

Greenpeace - Permaculture tunnel

Stone Dragon

Flushing loos

Sam's Magic Hat Sauna

Strummerstone

To name a few...

The wood nymph.. Near stone circle.. Just thought I'd add to your list old son 

2 hours ago, paddynavvie said:

Hey folks.

Love and poitin

Can't understand a word old son.... Something about Irish rolling in the mud pissed up, kicking the shite out of some poor drunk geezer who probably couldn't understand a word either and something about the English in Ireland which I'd hoped was all good and peaceful now.. 

Got the bit about you getting a ticket.. Great stuff. Safe travels and have a good sober festival lol.