Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

On 3/14/2024 at 11:10 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Very likely. Or they got strung along for a while

thats normally how it goes with an agent*, they look to see how they might make it work and earn a fee.

*loads of times i've had email from "i'm gonna put on a festival, and book [for example] the killers". i say you'll never book the killers, they say "had a convo with their agent and he was encouraging.

not once has one of these actually happened.

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Glastonbury 2009 took 4 months to sell out. It was 2010 that sold out really quickly off the back of Blur, Bruce, Neiler and co

Eh? 2008 sold out on the day and 2009 sold out in February. 2008 was definitely the turning point. I don't think 2010 sold out because Young/Springsteen/Blur were there the previous year. That's not an logical interpretation.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

If Glastonbury wasn't the brand it is today they'd be struggling. At the moment it will sell out just because it's Glastonbury, just like the new Apple phone will sell out. If this was 2008, I really think the festival would struggle. I mean, look at the 2008 lineup. It's amazing, and it didn't sell out till the day the festival started, or not far off.

That's not to say the poster bothers me personally. I know from experience that I tend to have a better time when the lineups are weaker. It just gives you that bit more freedom.

2008 didn't sell out because 2007 pissed it down non stop, it was pretty grim. I didn't go to any festivals in 2008 after 3 very very muddy wet festivals in 2007.

Agree re the freedom a weaker line up brings. Still plenty I'll be happy to see and also I'm more often than not found in the likes of The Glade anyway 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

Eh? 2008 sold out on the day and 2009 sold out in February. 2008 was definitely the turning point. I don't think 2010 sold out because Young/Springsteen/Blur were there the previous year. That's not an logical interpretation.

The post I was replying to said “2008 was vintage. 2009 was cracking too. And it sold out quickly off the back of 2008. It was a turning point”

2009 went on sale on 5 October 2008 and sold out on February 3 2009. That isn’t quick. That and 2008 are the only festivals since 2002 that didn’t sell out on ticket day. 

5 hours ago, Scrump said:

Skimmed through the posts since the announcement. To be honest I'm just happy to be taking about the actual lineup at last, doesn't matter who's on it!

Tbf we all saw how many ridiculous cul-de-sacs the "2024 Headliners" thread went down until the announcement finally gave us knowledge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

2008 was an absolute bin fire

image.thumb.png.e986eb3ff3885b6e9497f3b85125d8a5.png

That run of Zutons, Pigeon Detectives and Scouting for Girls on Sunday's Other Stage is probably likely at a smaller festival near you now.

I say this as someone who saw the Zutons in a pub garden in Buckinghamshire 5 years ago, where they seemed to be genuinely bewildered as to how they'd got there.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

The post I was replying to said “2008 was vintage. 2009 was cracking too. And it sold out quickly off the back of 2008. It was a turning point”

2009 went on sale on 5 October 2008 and sold out on February 3 2009. That isn’t quick. That and 2008 are the only festivals since 2002 that didn’t sell out on ticket day. 

What I'm saying is it was a lot quicker than 2008. That's what a turning point is. They were genuinely worried that they'd have to pack it all in in 2008, but the year was a big success. Then 2009 was the start of the golden era we're still enjoying today.

Edited by CharlotteB

16 minutes ago, turkey twizzler said:

Anyone else found that since Friday the line up poster image isn't loading for them on the website post?

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/glastonbury-2024-line-up-so-far/

Yep, it's been down all weekend.

Just looking at the official site ready for tomorrow's On The Day tweet and despite what people are saying this year, from the responses to this, Emily killed Glastonbury in 2016.

52 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Just had a nose at the line up. Looks brilliant!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival_2008

Agreed.  Loads of quality on show there and a really diverse mix.  Jazz World in particular looked fantastic.

16 hours ago, charlierc said:

That run of Zutons, Pigeon Detectives and Scouting for Girls on Sunday's Other Stage is probably likely at a smaller festival near you now.

I say this as someone who saw the Zutons in a pub garden in Buckinghamshire 5 years ago, where they seemed to be genuinely bewildered as to how they'd got there.

I bet they were... they had just been split up for 10 years haha 

Just now, Havors said:

I bet they were... they had just been split up for 10 years haha 

While true, it was the day after they'd played Victorious Festival in Portsmouth and a few months after doing a fairly large venue tour.

My friends saw them at a club show in Milton Keynes a few weeks ago and said they were very good tbf.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

While true, it was the day after they'd played Victorious Festival in Portsmouth and a few months after doing a fairly large venue tour.

My friends saw them at a club show in Milton Keynes a few weeks ago and said they were very good tbf.

Hungover to f**k I would say then haha 

20 hours ago, Helsbels said:

2008 didn't sell out because 2007 pissed it down non stop, it was pretty grim. I didn't go to any festivals in 2008 after 3 very very muddy wet festivals in 2007.

Aye, there should be an embargo on commenting on 2008 sales unless you dipped your soggy toes in 2007 🌧️⛈️

I know quite a few folks who never returned after that year 

Lots of saltiness regarding the Pyramid headliners but from where I am standing as a 50 something first time Glastonbury goer I could care less. I will just be glad to be there.

But with regard to the Pyramid are the  headliners really that bad or are they a deliberate attempt to pull a global more younger crowd?

Using Spotify as an example Coldplay are 25th most streamed artist of all time globally, Dua Lipa is 26th and SZA is 52nd........for context last years Pyramid Headliners Arctic Monkeys are 70th and Elton John is 105th...and Gun N Roses are outside of the Top 200.....

It's a blunt metric and obviously has a slant towards younger people who stream music but certainly this year's headliners are definitely global megastars. Should pull in increased number of younger viewers to the tv coverage which may convert to ticket sales in the years to come.

10 minutes ago, Agis said:

Lots of saltiness regarding the Pyramid headliners but from where I am standing as a 50 something first time Glastonbury goer I could care less. I will just be glad to be there.

But with regard to the Pyramid are the  headliners really that bad or are they a deliberate attempt to pull a global more younger crowd?

Using Spotify as an example Coldplay are 25th most streamed artist of all time globally, Dua Lipa is 26th and SZA is 52nd........for context last years Pyramid Headliners Arctic Monkeys are 70th and Elton John is 105th...and Gun N Roses are outside of the Top 200.....

It's a blunt metric and obviously has a slant towards younger people who stream music but certainly this year's headliners are definitely global megastars. Should pull in increased number of younger viewers to the tv coverage which may convert to ticket sales in the years to come.

I just think a lot of people had expectations high.  There was strong intel that it was likely to be Dua/Coldplay/Madonna, then this became Dua/Coldplay/Stevie Wonder, which then became Dua/Coldplay/SZA.  Also seems SZA was originally an Other stage headliner and there had to be some last minutes shuffling, which feels plausible.  However you slice it, either Madge or Stevie W are a bigger booking than SZA and balance the top line much better, both being legendary superstars.

Oh, and it being Coldplay's 5th headline appearance this century looks like a lazy booking, with many regulars having seen them before.

It's not bad.  We just thought it was going to be better.

16 minutes ago, Agis said:

Yeah, lot of truth in this. I'd like it to be more exciting, with less dodgy guitar bands from 15 years ago, less Radio 2, less 2009 indie disco, less beige all round really. Kick out the jams motherf**kers, and the ditch the past glories.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, lot of truth in this. I'd like it to be more exciting, with less dodgy guitar bands from 15 years ago, less Radio 2, less 2009 indie disco, less beige all round really. Kick out the jams motherf**kers, and the ditch the past glories.

Same, I'd far rather they get someone new than someone who played a couple of decades ago who would (in several cases) only be wanted for the same material they played back then.  That surely presumably would apply to potential attendees who aren't an old git like me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kagey said:

So, the poster is back, with 1 change,
Faithless moved from 2nd to last on the line, to 1st name
Was the Poster down all weekend for this change ?

No, just on that page as they used a broken link for the image to pull from.

I love how Divisive the line up is.

i like everyone else looks at it and has an opinion.

if you were to ask me the year that had the best line up , I would struggle. I can't remember any of the line ups really. I remember seeing bands, but not what year they played.

I know I have seen Colplay far too many times....