Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

Weird one for me this year, there are already more artists that I'd genuinely pay to see live than there were on the full completed line up last year. Despite this, I can't help but feel massively underwhelmed?

Idles on the other stage is an absolutely laughable booking and I actually quite like them! Makes me all but certain it was supposed to Madonna/Stevie Pyramid, SZA other and Idles Woodsies but everyone got a bump up, no idea why they'd choose them to clash with Fontaines too.

Seems to be missing a bit of magic/exciting acts and instead we have loads of middle of the road indie/durge with the likes of Keane, Bombay, Two Door, Gossip. Some of my favourite experiences last year were being dragged to sets I wasn't that bothered about but ended up having a great time, hard to see that happening so much this year as it just feels very meh?

Will 100% still be going and can't wait, just feels like they've played it very safe. Hopefully they'll be more excitement with further announcements. 

19 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Whilst I’d never hate on Glastonbury and it’s one of the few festivals that is more than just its music, there’s always plenty to do and see that poster massively eases the pain of not having tickets. For me it’s utterly Meh🤷‍♂️ if it’s a good poster for others then I’m happy for you. 

I was desperately hoping the poster would have this effect on me, but as I like Glastonbury to be about stuff I wouldn't pay to see elsewhere sprinkled with a bit of stuff I would, then its pretty much ticked those boxes. Never seen Dua Lipa, Shania, Avril, Cyndi Lauper or Camila Cabello and would like to see all of them. Love Coldplay, Keane, Paul Heaton, Paloma Faith, Confidence Man, Alvvays. Still haven't see the Last Dinner Party or Soccer Mommy, nor LCD Soundsystem. Would check out Bloc Party as its been years, probably give The National another go as nothing else on the Sunday. 

I'm actually gutted its so good for me in case I can't go!!

22 minutes ago, tickleyt said:

Weird one for me this year, there are already more artists that I'd genuinely pay to see live than there were on the full completed line up last year. Despite this, I can't help but feel massively underwhelmed?

Idles on the other stage is an absolutely laughable booking and I actually quite like them! Makes me all but certain it was supposed to Madonna/Stevie Pyramid, SZA other and Idles Woodsies but everyone got a bump up, no idea why they'd choose them to clash with Fontaines too.

Seems to be missing a bit of magic/exciting acts and instead we have loads of middle of the road indie/durge with the likes of Keane, Bombay, Two Door, Gossip. Some of my favourite experiences last year were being dragged to sets I wasn't that bothered about but ended up having a great time, hard to see that happening so much this year as it just feels very meh?

Will 100% still be going and can't wait, just feels like they've played it very safe. Hopefully they'll be more excitement with further announcements. 

This suggests that you might be equally surprised by acts you aren't too bothered about on the poster this year! 

3 hours ago, BluesManP said:

"failed to get contracts with Madonna, Taylor Swift, O-Rod or Stevie Nicks" is that a fact or just speculation? I think calling the artists "decidedly 2nd string Plan D artists" is a bit mean. Maybe you don't like them, their music, their music genre or don't know them but it doesn't make them second class.

I dislike the term "second class" and that's not what I said. 

In terms of fact or speculation there have been pages of fact? /speculation? on these e-fest pages several of which chatter would imply ate/were "in the know" - and add Stevie Wonder to that list, but of course he's not female 

And do you really believe thay Emily had SZA booked a year or so ago when she first said she had 2 female headliners? 

Edited by airwaves
Addition

Just now, Sasperella2 said:

This suggests that you might be equally surprised by acts you aren't too bothered about on the poster this year! 

Very true! There was just quite a few where I thought maaaaybe I'll give them a go, ended up being dragged along and loved it! This year is more binary, some artists I love and plenty I'd never be interested in watching so doesn't feel as likely currently but you make a good point. 

I don’t have any headliners that I’d find unmissable. Hoping for one or two in Avalon or Acoustic, and do one on the Pyramid. Beyond that I fancy a change and be somewhere different. Croissant Neuf, Bimble Inn, Greenpeace, Silver Heyes… 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Because it's the one festival in the world every major artist wants to tick off.

Black Keys said last year that basically it really isn’t that big a deal for American artists. And it pays badly by comparison to any other festival. Point is, if TayTay is all about the money and feels she can get $30m for festival appearances, Glastonbury really isn’t in her agenda.

1 minute ago, BigMarv said:

Black Keys said last year that basically it really isn’t that big a deal for American artists. And it pays badly by comparison to any other festival. Point is, if TayTay is all about the money and feels she can get $30m for festival appearances, Glastonbury really isn’t in her agenda.

For some yeah but clearly not the case for all. Look at O Rod, Billie Eilish, Lizzo.

Also not as if Taylor didn't love money pre 2020 and she still agreed to play (yes i know she got bigger but still)

4 minutes ago, BigMarv said:

Black Keys were spurned by Glastonbury so i'd take what they said with a pinch of salt.

5 minutes ago, BigMarv said:

Point is, if TayTay is all about the money and feels she can get $30m for festival appearances, Glastonbury really isn’t in her agenda.

There's no reason to think she feels she can get $30m for festival appearances.

All the evidence suggests that the $30m reportedly quoted to Coachella was a way of saying "I can't do it this year, but if you really want me to drop everything for you then this is what it'd take".

I think it's an incredible line-up. Other than Jessie Ware, I could probably spend the whole weekend on West Holts and be pretty happy. I'd probably have quite a good time if I wasn't allowed to leave Woodsies. I doubt I'll watch them, but I think the Pyramid headliners are pretty good. Coldplay are hardly an inspired choice, but they know what they're doing and won't disappoint anyone who turns up with an open mind. 

The only thing I do have an issue with is the idea that Shania Twain is a legend. She's had four top five hits, all of them in the space of three years. She's never had a No1. In terms of chart performance, she's not as much of a legend as, say, 2 Unlimited, or Snap!. She's at a similar level to Nik Kershaw, I'd say. There are two people on the Pyramid line-up who would be better in that slot, in Paul Heaton and Cyndi Lauper, who's got at least three certifiable all-timers in her catalogue. God knows who turned them down for Shania Twain to end up in that slot. The Lighthouse Family?

5 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Justice is the only one I can imagine that will pump you up for the last night 

Justice and Bicep are broadly similar

Was more suggesting PSB are a bigger draw on a sunday night (and bigger in general perhaps) than the National

2 minutes ago, Looother said:

I think it's an incredible line-up. Other than Jessie Ware, I could probably spend the whole weekend on West Holts and be pretty happy. I'd probably have quite a good time if I wasn't allowed to leave Woodsies. I doubt I'll watch them, but I think the Pyramid headliners are pretty good. Coldplay are hardly an inspired choice, but they know what they're doing and won't disappoint anyone who turns up with an open mind. 

The only thing I do have an issue with is the idea that Shania Twain is a legend. She's had four top five hits, all of them in the space of three years. She's never had a No1. In terms of chart performance, she's not as much of a legend as, say, 2 Unlimited, or Snap!. She's at a similar level to Nik Kershaw, I'd say. There are two people on the Pyramid line-up who would be better in that slot, in Paul Heaton and Cyndi Lauper, who's got at least three certifiable all-timers in her catalogue. God knows who turned them down for Shania Twain to end up in that slot. The Lighthouse Family?

I mean, you may not like her, but she’s one of the best selling artists of all time. From wiki: 

“She has sold over 100 million records, making her one of the best-selling music artists of all time and the best-selling female artist in country music history.”

9 minutes ago, Looother said:

Was going to say something similar to ModernMan.  Your comparison holds no water if you look at it internationally or globally.  She may have been household name status in the UK for a relatively short period, but has had an extensive and hugely successful career either side of that - still does.

Saw IDLES the other week at Leeds in a little venue in Armley and it was so good! one of the best live performances I've ever seen from anyone! the new stuff with the old stuff sounds amazing works really well and really adds something else to their live shows.... so much power and energy, gunna be mega!

Edited by turricandan

5 hours ago, Nickyboy said:

Interesting take on things in the Telegraph

To paraphrase:

Glastonbury has given up on rock – and turned into a children’s birthday party
Dua Lipa is a smart pick. But the lack of rock on the Glastonbury stages is a betrayal of the festival’s roots.

you have got a festival line up that looks more like something BBC Radio One and Two might have concocted for one of their jolly pop picnics, rather than an old hippy celebration of alternative music culture.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/glastonbury-2024-lineup-dua-lipa-too-pop/

Possibly slightly harsh, but there certainly feels like one eye on the TV coverage with this line up

Edited by Nickyboy

1 hour ago, tickleyt said:

Got to admit, I'm a bit dissapointed to seeing so many landfill bands in such prominent slots. Would add The Streets to that list and Bloc Party if not doing Silent Alarm in full. I can't recall previous line-ups being that way and it feels a bit like a 00's timewarp. I wouldn't mind so much if it were good bands of that time or they've not played together in 20 years but these could have been seen anytime at your local academy or under.