Stand and deliver.

Yoghurt on a Stick

It (just) suddenly occurred to me to ask 'What song (or couple of songs - max), and by which artist(s) really annoys you the most, and why?

I can't think of my own right now. However, something will spring to mind, and will be along in due course. 

Feel free to not respond, and let's see if this can be the biggie.

What Makes Tumbleweeds Tumble? | Mental Floss

I find much of Coldplay’s Music of the Spheres really annoying because it’s so much manufactured pop, songs like Biutyful and Humankind, but the main reason is I really have loved much of what they’ve done in the past and would still enjoy them as a live act so to dislike their last album so much makes it all very frustrating. 

James Arthur - Impossible. 
I work with adults with learning disabilities and one of the guys I work with used to play the first three lines of the song, stop the track and play them again. 
A ten hour shift hearing the same three lines of that song continuously is torture!

The Chicks - Gaslighter

saw them on the Pyramid last year and loved them.

then i saw them, twice, supporting Bruce and ended up being so sick of them - and after the third time Gaslighter, in particular for some reason, just made my blood boil...

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Karma Police Radiohead 

Sorry but it sucks the life out of me.

Truly takes all sorts. I love this song and it fills me with hope. One of my happiest Glastonbury memories is after Thom and Jonny's secret Park set in 2010 hearing everyone singing 'For a minute there I lost myself' for about half an hour after that gig.

I can still get goosebumps thinking about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Truly takes all sorts. I love this song and it fills me with hope. One of my happiest Glastonbury memories is after Thom and Jonny's secret Park set in 2010 hearing everyone singing 'For a minute there I lost myself' for about half an hour after that gig.

I can still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Certainly does. I was there as well for it.

Hallelujah by pretty much anybody. It's been done to death so pick another song. Actually don't as most are rubbish and that goes to anyone wanting to do a heartfelt slower acoustic version of a song for an advert (I'm now looking at you person who did the Aerosmith 'Dream On' cover for the advert that is currently on every fudging advert break! 😁 )

Don't You Want Me by Human League.

I always hated it and it's even worse now as it's held up as some sort of 80s treasure, every 80s TV or radio show plays it like it's compulsory. f**k off! It was sh*t then and it's sh*t now.

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

So what song do you dislike then ?

I have a policy now to not discuss things I don't like in public forums online (apart from the Tories) I prefer to spend my energy on things that bring me joy. Obviously there's lots of music that's not for me and younger me would probably have had a list of about 30 songs that I couldn't stand but now I just choose not to give any more attention to the things that are not for me and spend my time on the things that bring me joy.

The world today has slim pickings for joy in general so I cling to it in the music and art that I love.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I have a policy now to not discuss things I don't like in public forums online (apart from the Tories) I prefer to spend my energy on things that bring me joy. Obviously there's lots of music that's not for me and younger me would probably have had a list of about 30 songs that I couldn't stand but now I just choose not to give any more attention to the things that are not for me and spend my time on the things that bring me joy.

The world today has slim pickings for joy in general so I cling to it in the music and art that I love.

Totally understand and agree with the tories 😁

Gypsy by Crystal Waters, and I'm a Dreamer by Livin' Joy.  Both sung so flat that they amount to torture.

Experience of music is so subjective. There are many great songs from 1979-80 that I find really hard to listen to. At the time I was dividing weeks between Bradford and Harrogate, in a student placement I hated, with the fear of the Yorkshire ripper almost palpable in the air. Beyond irony,  the house I rushed home to for safety was shared with a guy who later turned out to be a serial rapist. I've managed to make peace with songs such as Too much too Young and Ashes to Ashes; others are taking longer. 

That hideous time has been (almost) eclipsed by glorious ones since, especially at Glastonbury, which has been the therapy I didn't realise I needed. Even crap songs have been enjoyable there!