Glamping...how many

guypjfreak

21 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Where do you stand on campervan folk @Superscally? I can (and have in the past) walk from the outer reaches of the car parks carrying a seriously heavy load, but I'd much prefer to drive up in my van, carry nothing, and have a double bed kitchen, toilet and shower on hand all weekend. Is that anti-vibez? 

Already made that point matey x no problems with vans at all

18 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Normally we arrive at the site in the middle of the night but this year we were in town a few days early and took a bus to Shepton. Amazed by the amount of off site glamping tents we passed on the way.  
calling worthy view glamping is a bit of a misconception, they are just regimented rows of pre erected tents. Not exactly glamping. 

Hell IMO 🤪

On 11/11/2023 at 11:36 AM, guypjfreak said:

Hell IMO 🤪

Certainly not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s got it advantages not having to carry a tent across the site and good parking. But I do agree nothing beats the colourful image of assorted tents haphazardly pitched all over the site. 

27 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

why would anybody pay a grand to stay that far away? 

I have no idea why. I just accidentally came across an advertisement by them earlier tonight, so just thought I'd share it on here. I didn't look too much into it to be honest. However, one can only assume that there must be some punters, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it - unless it's a one off doomed to failure venture. 

Now, their rates (you have to secure your own festival ticket) are bordering on the insane, in my opinion. However, there's bound to be some people (with tickets) who don't want to camp / can't camp with the hoi polloi. 

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

That's bloody miles away, why would anybody pay a grand to stay that far away? 

That is so, so far away. 

My perspective here - we glamp because we come from overseas and it just makes life an awful lot easier when we're not having to drag camping stuff thousands of kilometres. It's one of our big holidays of the year so we don't mind spending the extra. We've done Zootopia, Glastotel and will be in Ziggucamp this year. 

Don't really have an opinion on the 'spirit of the festival' chat. As long as everyone's being generally nice to each other, sharing a J, enjoying some banging music - does it really matter where we sleep? 

Moving home to the UK in 2026 and that'll be the end of glamping for us. 

I reckon a lot of glampers are also first timers with little / no experience of camping and who've read tabloid horror stories of mud and portaloos.

Then a lack of familiarity with the scale of the place leads folk to assume location is all much of a muchness and so just go with what seems like the best deal.

7 hours ago, Alvoram said:

That's bloody miles away, why would anybody pay a grand to stay that far away? 

And the "free shuttle bus" that they're advertising appears to be the same B&W shuttle bus that the Festival puts on - so still requires a fair walk to get to the pick up point at B&W.

Would also say that they advertise "a short walk to blue gate" - which is funny because firstly it's a lie (30 minutes across empty fields ain't short), and secondly because Blue Gate is vehicle only, so the walk is even longer to get to B or C.

Absolutely insane.

1 minute ago, incident said:

And the "free shuttle bus" that they're advertising appears to be the same B&W shuttle bus that the Festival puts on - so still requires a fair walk to get to the pick up point at B&W.

Would also say that they advertise "a short walk to blue gate" - which is funny because firstly it's a lie (30 minutes across empty fields ain't short), and secondly because Blue Gate is vehicle only, so the walk is even longer to get to B or C.

Absolutely insane.

If this is a new venture they should be careful about 'false advertising' if people turn up and its not what they expect it to be.

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have to laugh at the 'flat' walking distance to the festival, partly because it's not true, but I guess if they were at Latitude they could set up 50 miles away and make the same claim.

16 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Complete and utter insanity.

Now this, is complete and utter insanity! 

https://www.thepopuphotel.com/events/glastonbury/

Note how many 'rooms' are sold out - they only launched on Sunday! 

image.thumb.png.03efd689775dee40bd3a21fd4003e4fa.png

Edited by stuie