7 hours ago, SonicSleuth said:

I attended in 2018 and 2022 and it was incredible both years.

But I'm going for the performances, not for the dance tent drunkenness. 😉

I wouldn't have touched 2022 personally, Thursday and Friday were pretty terrible for me. I do know of people saying it was turning rock pop than rock though. 

I can see RAR being in the mix for me too as nothing clashes with it this year as apposed to moves due to the the world cup last year.

26 minutes ago, VolkIreland said:

Yes 👽

Great stuff

5 hours ago, northernangel said:

I wouldn't have touched 2022 personally, Thursday and Friday were pretty terrible for me. I do know of people saying it was turning rock pop than rock though. 

I can see RAR being in the mix for me too as nothing clashes with it this year as apposed to moves due to the the world cup last year.

Great stuff

I've gone 1 or 2 years only liking less than a handful of bands just because I know I'd have fun regardless basically. Its a great time. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, VolkIreland said:

I've gone 1 or 2 years only liking less than a handful of bands just because I know I'd have fun regardless basically. Its a great time. 🤷‍♂️

That's good to know. I want to try a couple of different festival experiences before I kinda stop.

These being Rock Werchter, RAR, UMF, Tomorrowland. 

Just did Y Not and think money wise I may do Y Not or Kendal next year. The issue with Kendall is that it's in the area of the country where it wiuld be silly going that far to not incorporate with a Lakes holiday and I imagine many do that and the lakes end of July being packed. Peak season as well for accomodation.

8 hours ago, fillou said:

I saw Blur yesterday at Lokerse Feesten in Belgium and they were awesome! 

What an unbelievable mistake of RW23 not to book them, they would be the best headliner by far. 

I agree! The brilliant new album also made it into nr 1 in the Belgian charts so Werchter missed out. 

Luckily I'll see Blur in Gothenburg on Friday😉

10 hours ago, Jefb said:

What was the problem with Lokerse?

The stage area is flat, narrow and long so very limited views of the stage. Oddly the TV screens are inverted inwards so if you are to the side you basically can't see anything.

You need to leave the main area and walk through people arriving to the festival, then through another security gate, through a sports hall and down some temporary stairs to get to the second stage. This also means you have to go back and queue through main security once you leave this area. 

Nobody considered that everyone would leave after Blur so the 5 or so buses to move 1000s of people took forever. Then the same amount of time to get off the 'parking' (they dump everyone in an industrial zone with no signs of where you can and cannot park).

On top of that you have the usual festival prices/poor food-drink options made worse with a special card system which charges you a fee to use it, doesn't display the balance (several times we were charged more) and are now stuck with.

For balance, Blur were great 😃

Also all of these points will be familiar to regulars at the festival and they don't seem to care so maybe it is is just me.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ohad said:

I dont see Dua Lipa in the mainstage. It's not that she is not big enough (I honestly dont know), but it's extremely uncommon to see acts like her headlining RW. 

Not sure to agree on this one. There was P!nk in 2019, Billie was supposedbly planned for this year but the schedule change made her go to Pkp... This year we had big pop/hip-hop acts on main stage. Stormzy was there to headline, Stromae planned to headline, Oscar and the wolf sub. Granted that the last 2 are belgian, but I really think this type of name is more and more common in RW, so I don't see why Dua wouldn't work.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, polnico said:

Not sure to agree on this one. There was P!nk in 2019, Billie was supposedbly planned for this year but the schedule change made her go to Pkp... This year we had big pop/hip-hop acts on main stage. Stormzy was there to headline, Stromae planned to headline, Oscar and the wolf sub. Granted that the last 2 are belgian, but I really think this type of name is more and more common in RW, so I don't see why Dua wouldn't work.

My opinion: those acts you've named have some kind of edge. Dua Lipa is straight-up pop music which attracts a different crowd. Her status requires a headliner position and I personally feel that it would not fit Rock Werchter. Boutique on the other hand...

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Black said:

My opinion: those acts you've named have some kind of edge. Dua Lipa is straight-up pop music which attracts a different crowd. Her status requires a headliner position and I personally feel that it would not fit Rock Werchter. Boutique on the other hand...

We agree on that, and I would prefer RW to keep going for these "edgier" acts, but it seems to me like acts that I consider quite dull (e.g. Imagine Dragons) are selling super well, so I dont know if RW will think like this when booking.

53 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I feel old, I couldn't name one Dua Lipa song....I've heard the name though....

And yet you'll know 5-10 of her songs when you hear them. She poops hits. I actually like her last (disco inspired) album quite a bit. 

And yet, definitely headlining. I would argue she doesn't even need a co-head. 

Edited by matrainertje

4 hours ago, polnico said:

Simply because it does not happen 🙂

P!nk is many things, pop oriented, but she's not a pop-dance artist and she's rocking like hell. Billie is a fantastic performer, but it didn't happen, so I dont see how she is a relevant example. Stormzy is a rapper, irrelevant for the discussion. And as you stated - both Stromae and Max (oatw) are Belgian and they would never get the headlining spot otherwise.

Take a look at the past 10 years. No fresh, internatiional, mainstream pop-dance act has been named a main stage headliner. This is not how RW invest the big money. It just does not happen.

Edited by Ohad