Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

26 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Here it is. You didn't want it, but you got it anyway. The official @The Nal Glastonbury Festival Legend Slot 2024 playlist, aka "Nal That's What I Call Music '24". Pick the bones out of this lot.

haha.

Too late to get this pressed and on the front shelves of high street music stores for Xmas? Now Thats What I Call Legends or something.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Why has no one mentioned Get Wet?

Ticks all the boxes. 100k at this. 

Steve Lamacq on a raging semi introducing them.

Christ knows where you dredged that one up from, probably the first one I've not heard of.

50 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Here it is. You didn't want it, but you got it anyway. The official @The Nal Glastonbury Festival Legend Slot 2024 playlist, aka "Nal That's What I Call Music '24". Pick the bones out of this lot.

Tremendous effort. And yes, I am listening to it.

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Driver's Seat is a chewn.

Genuine question. but does anyone honestly choose to listen to Cher? Like on their headphone etc. It's weird because I imagine not many do but still the hits would work in that slot.

That said, I don't think she can sing any more though hence no full length gigs for years and the only gigs she does are 1 song and it's full miming. 

To conclude I don't think there's a chance she's playing sadly. 

Edited by danbailey80

14 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Genuine question. but does anymore honestly choose to listen to Cher? Like on their headphone etc. It's weird because I imagine not many do but still the hits would work in that slot.

I don't know if it comes under 'choose to listen to' but she's a staple on our local gay bar playlist and I expect this is repeated all over the place!  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Genuine question. but does anymore honestly choose to listen to Cher? Like on their headphone etc. It's weird because I imagine not many do but still the hits would work in that slot.

No, I never have. Don't mind if she was the Legend, but for every great song she has (Believe, I Got You Babe) there's plenty I'm not interested in.

17 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Genuine question. but does anyone honestly choose to listen to Cher? Like on their headphone etc. It's weird because I imagine not many do but still the hits would work in that slot.

That said, I don't think she can sing any more though hence no full length gigs for years and the only gigs she does are 1 song and it's full miming. 

Could she not just lip sync the whole thing like Dolly Parton or Janet Jackson?

On 12/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, danbailey80 said:

I don’t, no.

I also never seek out Kylie, Lionel or Diana Ross on Spotify, but on a night out you can guarantee their tunes will get people bopping. 

Cher is in that bracket for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, danbailey80 said:

Genuine question. but does anyone honestly choose to listen to Cher? To conclude I don't think there's a chance she's playing sadly. 

i don't think so either, but  would be a bit of a car crash cos too few people would know her songs.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i don't think so either, but  would be a bit of a car crash cos too few people would know her songs.

Might be making a fool of myself here and missing an obvious joke but she’s got an absolute raft of massively mainstream songs:

• Believe
  • Shoop Shoop
  • Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves
  • Strong Enough
  • I Got You Babe
  • Walking in Memphis 
  • If I Could Turn Back Time
  • Dead Ringer for Love
  • Any ABBA song from the covers album she did

40 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Might be making a fool of myself here and missing an obvious joke but she’s got an absolute raft of massively mainstream songs:

• Believe
  • Shoop Shoop
  • Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves
  • Strong Enough
  • I Got You Babe
  • Walking in Memphis 
  • If I Could Turn Back Time
  • Dead Ringer for Love
  • Any ABBA song from the covers album she did

there's more there than i thought i knew.

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

Why is Sting less mentioned in this context - he has the hits after all. 

This year specifically, because we've been told that the person is female.

But yeah could do far worse. I think maybe though he doesn't get mentioned as much as others as there's something of a feeling that the person in the legend slot should be someone who really wouldn't work nearly as well anywhere else on the bill - whereas there's quite a few places Sting could viably play.

12 minutes ago, incident said:

I think maybe though he doesn't get mentioned as much as others as there's something of a feeling that the person in the legend slot should be someone who really wouldn't work nearly as well anywhere else on the bill - whereas there's quite a few places Sting could viably play.

Agree with this. See also folks like Sheryl Crow, Alannis Morrisette and maybe Elvis Costello.

Edited by Comfy Bean

58 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Also it shouldn't be someone that people generally hate.

Honestly don't believe that many people hate him anymore, and most who previously did probably haven't for quite a while. The backlash against him was more of a late 80s/90s thing. Over the years we've seen plenty of legends slot bookings that would have provoked distaste 25+ years before, but after the passage of time have been warmly received - it's arguably a qualifying factor.