Olivia Rodrigo

FloorFiller

13 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

A festival that can sell out 5 times over very clearly doesn't need to take risks 

Very much doubt it's even close to five times over, or that it ever has been, unless you count the various windbags who'll say "oh, I might go next year" but make no attempt to even find out how to get tickets let alone register or try. Purely anecdotal but for all the talk of tickets becoming more difficult over the years, it still feels like the majority of people who want tickets and understand the system / put the effort in get them.

My guess would be that they could sell it about twice over at the moment and that's with them currently at a peak of sorts. The problem is that demand can change very quickly as the festival has seen in the past - a couple years with a combination of bad weather and unpopular lineups could easily leave them scrambling. That's exactly what did happen, in 2008, which they've said publicly caused them problems and they don't want to repeat.

13 minutes ago, incident said:

The problem is that demand can change very quickly as the festival has seen in the past - a couple years with a combination of bad weather and unpopular lineups could easily leave them scrambling. 

Yup. A couple of years of booking nothing but The Risky Bump Ups to headline and that G ticket becomes less of a golden commodity.

26 minutes ago, incident said:

Very much doubt it's even close to five times over, or that it ever has been, unless you count the various windbags who'll say "oh, I might go next year" but make no attempt to even find out how to get tickets let alone register or try. Purely anecdotal but for all the talk of tickets becoming more difficult over the years, it still feels like the majority of people who want tickets and understand the system / put the effort in get them.

My guess would be that they could sell it about twice over at the moment and that's with them currently at a peak of sorts. The problem is that demand can change very quickly as the festival has seen in the past - a couple years with a combination of bad weather and unpopular lineups could easily leave them scrambling. That's exactly what did happen, in 2008, which they've said publicly caused them problems and they don't want to repeat.

Whilst the festival was massive in 2008, I dont think it was as big as it is now. It's had years without rain, so the general public (esp those around 18-24) dont associate it with mud in the same way as others do. (Mud doesnt bother me, but the public seem to be scared)

It's also had the SE Corner have more publicity & become its own thing. It's had about 14 years of wall to wall good publicity, with enormous acts on alongside your Mumfords.

In the same way no-one will ask Pep Guardiola to leave for Signing Kalvin Phillips, those who want a ticket for Glastonbury will want one regardless of the headliners & give them the benefit of doubt. 3 festivals of "bad reviews" might change that. Til then, they have pretty much free rein

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Can we add Blur to the dragging out the "old duffers" thinking 😛   Every time someone mentions them I think, what that band I first listened to when I was 13 and thought was cutting edge back then ffs 😛 

Glastonbury is running the risk of becoming a retirement home rather than an actual Music festival...   Just need Madonna and her walking stick to finish the job off 😛 

I don't disagree with the fact that the festival should be looking to newer artists to 'bump up' into headline slots, however Madonna would be a massive coup - and presumably somewhat exclusive in comparison to other UK festivals.

I have no problem with there being a heritage / legacy act most years. My issue would be any repeat bookings in this category, for instance if The Cure / The Who etc. were booked again within the next 5 years. Unlikely I know, but just trying to illustrate my point.

While I certainly want to see newer acts getting the bump, I also want to see established acts that have never performed before take the stage. There's room for Dua Lipa and Depeche Mode on the same line-up. As well as diversity of gender and race, we should also strive for diversity of sound... pop, rock, r&b, hiphop all have a place there and I like to see headliners that reflect that as much as possible. This year was certainly too 'rock', but going 100% pop isn't much better. 2022 really felt like a great balance.

Mix of genres is preferable, but at the end of the day I just want them to get the biggest and best headliners they can. Although I think it’ll still be a few years before they don’t have a token rock act or band as one of the three, I’d hope that if they were ever presented with three incredible pop headliners in one year then they’d take them, even though I think the most likely outcome of that these days would be to try and negotiate for one to come back in a later year. 

9 hours ago, km9 said:

That's not risk, that's just ridiculous. Maisie Peters? She's little more than a Taylor Swift tribute act.

Lazy comparison for me, her latest album is really good and she was great at Glastonbury. That said, no idea why she's suggested as a headliner lol

Olivia is absolutely in the headliner conversation. She's exactly the kind of act Glastonbury should acknowledge and elevate at the same time. I don't think she will headline next year, but it would come as no surprise if she did.

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

She is a very very good sub or a headliner.

Only 2 places she can be now 

I think what happens with the new album decides this to be honest.

I'd say 80% chance it lands her as being an headliner and nothing else.

20% chance its deemed underwhelming and she ends up in the sub/other headliner status

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, VCK said:

Her music sucks, manufactured pop garbage for teenagers, but getting her to headline in the prime of her career while she is still a huge name wouldn't be a bad move.

So Billie Eilish 2.0 except with 2 tours ever done in total and only one festival ever done. Thats the best way to create a new headliner without any justification.

Edited by Suprefan

On 8/2/2023 at 8:07 AM, Suprefan said:

So Billie Eilish 2.0 except with 2 tours ever done in total and only one festival ever done. Thats the best way to create a new headliner without any justification.

Her new album is out soon, if that is a smash she won't be far off headliner level surely.

Also remember when Stormzy was booked to headline off the back of just one album.

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

Her new album is out soon, if that is a smash she won't be far off headliner level surely.

Also remember when Stormzy was booked to headline off the back of just one album.

I can almost guarantee she won't headline Glastonbury as if she does, she'll be playing Glastonbury only twice over on her two albums as her only UK festival's. No chance she doesn't play more than one festival this time round.

Firstly Stormzy has worked his way up playing other festival's, various slots. And secondly, and I'll still maintain it so it was a stupid decision purely for the reason that leads to now where suddenly you can headline off the back of Hammersmith Apollo. Stormzy was booked because he was the alternative face of what the festival was going for, he was current at the time and how he spoke about certain subjects politically. Anyone can disagree with that but he wasn't even selling his tour straight out.

21 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I am getting strong Wilco must headline vibes from c.2009. 

This person is not headlining.

I don’t know what was being suggested in 2009 but how on earth are you comparing global pop star Olivia Rodrigo to indie critic darlings Wilco ? 😂