Pyramid for Elton

Bike_Like_A_Mum

2 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Small crowd but Phoenix was absolutely everything I dreamed. Was nearly in tears. Got a setlist as well!!! Actually think I'm glad Elton sucked up all the crowd, it was just fans at Woodsies. Every song got a rave reception, and the band was on top form. 

Damn, I would’ve loved to have been there, but Elton was incredible.

paging @bennyhana22

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Good stuff. I’ve definitely encountered people refusing to do it until the last minute in the past so good for the festival to push on it. 

Steward behind the sound desk repeatedly asked a group of sitters to stand up with about 15 minutes to go so that more people could move down the field. Was repeatedly told by one of the entitled refusers "but we were here first". 

12 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Small crowd but Phoenix was absolutely everything I dreamed. Was nearly in tears. Got a setlist as well!!! Actually think I'm glad Elton sucked up all the crowd, it was just fans at Woodsies. Every song got a rave reception, and the band was on top form. 

I left Elton after 3 songs and went to Phoenix, best decision of the weekend as they were amazing.  Never seen them before but loved it.  They didn’t get phased by the smaller crowd and played their hearts out… and the crowd were so loud and absolutely loving it.  He came into the crowd at the end to individually thank us all and crowd surfed back! 

IMG_6447.jpeg

Official numbers from the festival being quoted on the BBC say 120k were there… got to be an undercount, where exactly were the other 100k?

I was caught in a crush trying to find someone down near the repeater at the end of the trakway - the only time I felt unsafe this year - around the time the first announcement about standing went on the screens. (I find it hard to understand the mentality of people watching crushes building up 10 feet away while announcements go up to put chairs and blankets away, and carry on sitting down. Thankfully after the audio announcement most people were up).

I ended up working back up to the top path above Row Mead, working across to the top crossroads, then down to the ice cream van and in to the centre of the field where there was more space. If I wasn’t used to crowds, it would have been pretty scary in places

17 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Official numbers from the festival being quoted on the BBC say 120k were there… got to be an undercount, where exactly were the other 100k?

Ticket sales are 135k with the rest being workers, volunteers, bar staff, stewards, security, production, BBC, performers, djs, street walkers, etc.

I've been 8 times but the pics of Eltons crowd put me off going back, dont know if I could deal with anything like that, especially as my bladder is getting weaker the older I get once I've had a couple of ciders. 

My daughter wants to go with me in a couple of years once she turns 18 but I think a crowd that scale would terrify her. Plus the bands playing at the same time are playing to hardly anyone as well which is a shame. 

Watched on TV this year, I've never seen anything like the crowd for Elton. The Stones was, I think, the first year I remember them pushing back the camping beyond the path at the top of the Pyramid field, this year the camping there (Row Mead possibly) had gone completely and looked rammed with people on the telly.

Realistically though, I don't think there is anyone who would draw that sized crowd again. As popular as e.g. T Swift is, the Other Stage etc would definitely have big crowds against her. I don't think there is any artist or act in the world who would draw like Elton did.

2 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Watched on TV this year, I've never seen anything like the crowd for Elton. The Stones was, I think, the first year I remember them pushing back the camping beyond the path at the top of the Pyramid field, this year the camping there (Row Mead possibly) had gone completely and looked rammed with people on the telly.

Realistically though, I don't think there is anyone who would draw that sized crowd again. As popular as e.g. T Swift is, the Other Stage etc would definitely have big crowds against her. I don't think there is any artist or act in the world who would draw like Elton did.

I think you may be right. Elton has been part of the soundtrack to the nation for so many decades that his songs have seeped into the national consciousness in a way that someone like Taylor has not. You didn't even need to be a fan of Elton to A: know who he was and B: know a huge number of his songs. Reg is a bona fide national treasure that has a universal appeal across society as a whole. It was great seeing so many younger faces in the audience singing along as lustily as the older folk who were there when Elton was parading around in platform DMs.

Just now, Outsided said:

Is GnR the top one??

I was in a sparsely populated pocket in the middle,  it really didn't feel as busy as the top photo looks

The top one is from 2011. 

It was just a comparison to show how much space they’ve pinched to open the field up. 

36 minutes ago, swede said:

I've been 8 times but the pics of Eltons crowd put me off going back, dont know if I could deal with anything like that, especially as my bladder is getting weaker the older I get once I've had a couple of ciders. 

My daughter wants to go with me in a couple of years once she turns 18 but I think a crowd that scale would terrify her. Plus the bands playing at the same time are playing to hardly anyone as well which is a shame. 

If it helps in any way, we were level with the sound desk from The Chicks onwards and one of us went for a wee after Lil Nas X and was able to get there and back in 30ish mins. 

Although you had a fairly constant trickle of people pushing by to get nearer the front, it never got crushed where we were and we made great friends with people who helped us keep bags safe etc.

Three songs in and the overspill area at the top which used to be camping was very spacious. Unfortunately the sound was horrendous back there so we gave up at that point and went off to QOTSA. Got out easily but there were still people streaming in so presumably they ended up filling the paths and space at the back.