Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

28 minutes ago, Andrej said:

SZA is massive in the States, UK as well. Saw her live, very good show. But I dont think anyone in Spain cares that much. But for international visitors, she is huge name.

That's why I'm confused with the headliners. Ok Lana, but Pulp and SZA? I'm pretty sure they will add another big name, probably something Spanish 

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

The smaller names are ridiculously stacked as is.

I don't think it needs to be The National or several smaller acts. 

But when there's a few cases of repeat bookings and some decent rumoured acts not booked, it's an easy complaint to make. 

Just as much as the National (who I love), people could say does Charlie Xcx need to be back so soon, or do Disclosure merit a return already? 

When people were hoping for people like Air, Sampha, the Smile etc, the regular faces are definitely the easiest ones to take aim at and wonder if their fee could go elsewhere. 

All of this, of course, is being done without the knowledge of who costs what, whether they're booked for something else, or a radius clause has barred them etc etc. 

But the speciation is what keeps this forum going so dive in, I say... 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I don't think it needs to be The National or several smaller acts. 

But when there's a few cases of repeat bookings and some decent rumoured acts not booked, it's an easy complaint to make. 

Just as much as the National (who I love), people could say does Charlie Xcx need to be back so soon, or do Disclosure merit a return already? 

When people were hoping for people like Air, Sampha, the Smile etc, the regular faces are definitely the easiest ones to take aim at and wonder if their fee could go elsewhere. 

All of this, of course, is being done without the knowledge of who costs what, whether they're booked for something else, or a radius clause has barred them etc etc. 

But the speciation is what keeps this forum going so dive in, I say... 

I guess Charli has a new album she s incredibly popular so it’s fine. Disclosure I don’t get why so high, why they are booked. Really I don’t have answers 

6 minutes ago, flowernigiri said:

I am trying to understand the complaints about the lack of bigger names, however, what names are missing that are available, really? Even about said rumoured acts, they’re just that - rumours. Besides the fact that currently the music scenery, live wise, has changed

I think complaining about the lack of the smile is legit, they must be doing coachella or something like that 

2 minutes ago, flowernigiri said:

I am trying to understand the complaints about the lack of bigger names, however, what names are missing that are available, really? Even about said rumoured acts, they’re just that - rumours. Besides the fact that currently the music scenery, live wise, has changed

That’s the thing, we don’t know yet. All the other European festivals haven’t announced anything yet. We only have Foo Fighters, Dua Lipa and Kali Uchis in festivals like Mad Cool and Roskilde. Don’t understand why Kali Uchis wasn’t booked, other than that there’s not much here besides rumours. We will only be able to see how good and exclusive is this lineup around February when all the festivals have their line ups ready. 

I actually just read on Primavera Foros that Gabi commented on the lineup. He said that he doesn’t see the lack of urban and reggaeton bands and that he is tired of “commercial Latin” music and that’s why there are not many urban artists. I guess that’s why everyone was expecting Bad Bunny or Karol G and they didn’t come. On the other hand Gabi was asked if this lineup is going to attract people and he said yes because of Lana, SZA, Mitski and Troye. Pero sally I don’t think it will attract many people besides maybe Lana. But oh well, I just hope the festival lives and is profitable. 

I think they knocked it out of the park on the line up, got 36 acts listed on what i want to see and that's without digging deeper. A lot of quality. Always keep expectations in check and dont bank on your faves being at the fest. I wanted to catch The Smile so i bought a ticket in case something like this happened, cant blame the festival for making people put too much faith in acts being there.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

That’s the thing, we don’t know yet. All the other European festivals haven’t announced anything yet. We only have Foo Fighters, Dua Lipa and Kali Uchis in festivals like Mad Cool and Roskilde. Don’t understand why Kali Uchis wasn’t booked, other than that there’s not much here besides rumours. We will only be able to see how good and exclusive is this lineup around February when all the festivals have their line ups ready. 

Well we know how exclusive a few stuff is, like Jai Paul, FKA Twigs, Clipse and Vampire Weekend, all exclusives to Europe and for the first three the UK as well. Great bookings.

• Upvote 1

Nothing against any of the artists per se,  but The National, Phoenix. Disclosure and Charli XCX are not special enough for such a quick return. Replace those with (for example) Kylie, Kali, New Jeans, Tainy or any available or affordable artists in some different genres and the line up suddenly looks a bit less one dimensional and a bit more quirky and Primavera. I think there are some quite lazy bookings here.

I take back that the line up is awful. It is not awful, but really lacks that Primavera spark. I also take back that the line up reveal was awful. I was wrong again. It was f***ing awful and all concerned should be sacked.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I think they knocked it out of the park on the line up, got 36 acts listed on what i want to see and that's without digging deeper. A lot of quality. Always keep expectations in check and dont bank on your faves being at the fest. I wanted to catch The Smile so i bought a ticket in case something like this happened, cant blame the festival for making people put too much faith in acts being there.

Swings and roundabouts, I guess. I had about 30 realistic targets, Kali Uchis, Lil Yachty, Tainy etc, (not Tom Waits, Kate Bush or Talking Heads!) and I've ended up with only Ammarae, Pulp and Billy Woods. FKA Twigs and Beth Gibbons are unexpected bonuses but despite having a ticket I am struggling to justify hotels and travel for that line up.

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

I actually just read on Primavera Foros that Gabi commented on the lineup. He said that he doesn’t see the lack of urban and reggaeton bands and that he is tired of “commercial Latin” music and that’s why there are not many urban artists. I guess that’s why everyone was expecting Bad Bunny or Karol G and they didn’t come. On the other hand Gabi was asked if this lineup is going to attract people and he said yes because of Lana, SZA, Mitski and Troye. Pero sally I don’t think it will attract many people besides maybe Lana. But oh well, I just hope the festival lives and is profitable. 

I think the likes of SZA and Lana appeal to a younger generation of folks who can’t readily afford 5 days in Barcelona.

Will be interesting for me to see if Mitski et al have massive crowds. Can’t visualise it myself. 

29 minutes ago, Valbork said:

Nothing against any of the artists per se,  but The National, Phoenix. Disclosure and Charli XCX are not special enough for such a quick return. Replace those with (for example) Kylie, Kali, New Jeans, Tainy or any available or affordable artists in some different genres and the line up suddenly looks a bit less one dimensional and a bit more quirky and Primavera. I think there are some quite lazy bookings here.

I take back that the line up is awful. It is not awful, but really lacks that Primavera spark. I also take back that the line up reveal was awful. I was wrong again. It was f***ing awful and all concerned should be sacked.

The fact that they dragged the arse out of that reveal….to reveal what they revealed was farcical.

Nothing on that poster warrants that level of pageantry.

14 minutes ago, nicolaspepsi said:

Janes addiction and the smile were born for this festival. Weird they were not booked. Hope there are going to be some sourprise.

I’m surprised by the smiles omission the most. I thought it was a certainty. Although I will say their inclusion would still not temper the “darkness” of the lineup.

I think the lineup really lacks “toe tappers” at the top of the poster. 

Fred Again and Kendrick were epic last year. I don’t see an equivalent this year. Love justice but will they be in Mordor?

I gave SZA a whirl tonight and a lot of her songs with big view counts were slow enough. Decent music but i dont really see who is gonna get the party started. 
Pulp are decent and it will be a personal box ticked but they don’t have even a 1/4 as many bangers as Blur.

PJ Harvey I could literally watch sat down on the ground with a beer. She’s great but she isn’t a main course.

And Lana is clearly very talented but just stands in one spot, lacks energy, is renowned for being an uncomfortable performer and her recent Glastonbury set descended into fiasco. 

Edited by Drums Please Fab

9 minutes ago, nicolaspepsi said:

Janes addiction and the smile were born for this festival. Weird they were not booked. Hope there are going to be some sourprise.

People complain that it is too soon for The National, yet complain that The Smile should have been booked again. Go figure!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

People complain that it is too soon for The National, yet complain that The Smile should have been booked again. Go figure!

Well it’s second album in a short space of time. There is still a novelty to them. The National played Madrid 4 weeks ago and their best stuff is from boxer, alligator, high violet and trouble will find me. Which were all at a minimum essentially ten plus years ago. 

• Like 1