Smallest crowds on big stages/biggest crowds on small stages?

churlie100

35 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No surprise there

A lot of folks with that attitude last year

But of course there's never any violence at Glastonbury

Definitely doesn't surprise me that this kind of thing happens during those acts for people who don't really listen to much music (no shade on those bands, Will Young and Sophie Ellis-Bextor are both on my list this year). As much as they are deservedly dunked-on, I'm never happier at a gig than when I'm in a crowd of absolute music dweebs.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Only the second time I've seen any.  The first one was years ago very late (early) in the Dance Village, where some kid had clearly snorted all his stash in one go and was looking to kick off.  Luckily, his less f**ked up mates grabbed him and dragged him off.

I got punched in the face by a complete stranger in the 90s.

People say it was edgier then...

Rolf Harris in 2009 on WH had a massive crowd for that early in the day.

Dizzee Rascal headlining WH in 2017 was also ridiculous from what I remember, but it's hard to judge the whole field from your one little area. 

St Vincent last year looked tiny for an Other sub. I wasn't there but the wide angled shots of the field looked like Swiss cheese. Might have gotten bigger later...

I wasn't there but Portishead on the Acoustic Stage often gets a mention.

Mumford & Sons at John Peel, when they were still on the way up, I was at, and that seemed crazy busy.

And this is Beans On Toast on the Greenpeace Stage on a Thursday (2019).

52888BA6-1113-40FB-B13C-28199B57FF92.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I wasn't there but Portishead on the Acoustic Stage often gets a mention.

Mumford & Sons at John Peel, when they were still on the way up, I was at, and that seemed crazy busy.

And this is Beans On Toast on the Greenpeace Stage on a Thursday (2019).

52888BA6-1113-40FB-B13C-28199B57FF92.jpeg

Beans on Toast was crazy busy, absolutely roasting as well

3 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

Smallest crowds on main stages where I've actually been at the show and not just walking through:
Frightened Rabbit, Other - 2016

This made me incredibly sad.  I only discovered Frightened Rabbit after Scott Hutchison died and it just make me sad to think he will have seen a small crowd when he played Glasto.  I dunno sometimes young men's (well anyone's really) mental health scares me.  

14 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

This made me incredibly sad.  I only discovered Frightened Rabbit after Scott Hutchison died and it just make me sad to think he will have seen a small crowd when he played Glasto.  I dunno sometimes young men's (well anyone's really) mental health scares me.  

I was at that Frightened Rabbit show at John Peel. It wasn't rammed but I don't remember it as a particularly sparse crowd either.

43 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

St Vincent last year looked tiny for an Other sub. I wasn't there but the wide angled shots of the field looked like Swiss cheese. Might have gotten bigger later...

That was tiny, I was just behind the barrier at the back of the pit and there was pretty much nobody behind me.

45 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It was minuscule - I walked up to the circle barrier and nonchalantly stood there for the whole thing in sh*t loads of space. Was stunning though.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I watched it on iPlayer and thought this. Looked and sounded awesome but also looked like a real small crowd, certainly compared to other times when I've variously seen Haim, Interpol, Chvrches and Maggie Rogers bring huge crowds there.

4 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Was the Frightened Rabbit one when the stages stopped for a while due to thunder and lightning? Think they were on after everything restarted, but it was still pouring with rain and schedules were all a bit off. I was at that, ended up on tv. Must have been about 200 people max. Definitely the smallest crowd I've seen at a main stage, shame as they were a brilliant live act

I don't recall that they had to stop the stage due to lightning, but the Other Stage schedule was a bit messed up that day with James starting late due to the mud.  They were trucking in tons of woodchips to put down before the show started, and I think it was almost an hour late.

That FR is one you can find on YouTube, and I still watch it quite a bit.  Regarding the set getting cut short, Scott's got some funny banter along the lines of, "Grant says f*ck it, keep playing.  Usually he's the sensible one...".  Miss those guys.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I watched it on iPlayer and thought this. Looked and sounded awesome but also looked like a real small crowd, certainly compared to other times when I've variously seen Haim, Interpol, Chvrches and Maggie Rogers bring huge crowds there.

I can't remember, I think they got bumped up a slot? Up against Fender and Bonobo and Sugar Babes. Think they prob got unlucky and lost the Clash-off. 

10 minutes ago, BackpackFullOfWarmBeer said:

I don't recall that they had to stop the stage due to lightning, but the Other Stage schedule was a bit messed up that day with James starting late due to the mud.  They were trucking in tons of woodchips to put down before the show started, and I think it was almost an hour late.

That FR is one you can find on YouTube, and I still watch it quite a bit.  Regarding the set getting cut short, Scott's got some funny banter along the lines of, "Grant says f*ck it, keep playing.  Usually he's the sensible one...".  Miss those guys.

I think there was something else great on at the same time I’m a massive FR fan, saw them in 13 which was decent at JP and then later that day in 16 when they played Williams Green by which time they were all smashed. I didn’t go to the other stage one as I knew I could see them later in the day 

55 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I was at that Frightened Rabbit show at John Peel. It wasn't rammed but I don't remember it as a particularly sparse crowd either.

I think that might be a different time, the one that was small was on Other I think.