What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?

What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?

• It is my festival, in the SE every night until at least 4am, often sunrise.
    • I like to visit to get the vibe but don't stay long due to crowds or another reason.
    • I get my late night kicks elsewhere (please share).
    • I tend to be too knackered from the day's music and don't stay out much later than the day's headliner.
    • I make the effort only for specific acts I want to see.
    • I want see more of it this year but don't know where to start.
    • Not for me at all, too crowded, don't like the genres on offer, too many drug heads etc etc.

Curious what the overall excitement is for the South East Corner after headliner time. I know there is a lot of late night areas but there aren't any that have people making sure they beats the crowds for as much. 

To contradict my own single option poll I'm a bit of a mix of wanting to be more involved but being put off a bit by the crowds, and giving myself a full day programme of live music usually means I'm too shattered to be out past about 2.

So I'm officially boring, but what about the rest of you?

I love the SE corner and stay up til 4-6am usually exploring, wouldn’t say it *is* my festival though, it’s equally as important as the daytime bands, circus, theatre, randomness etc.. I love all aspects of the festival a lot 🤩

I chose the bottom option - not got an issue with the "drug heads" as it put it, but it's just not the genre for me. I will go down there this year but it just doesn't really factor in as a big part of my festival. The "specific acts" might have been the option I should have gone for, but they are few and far between that land down there.

• Upvote 1

Will defo be there for the good stuff on the Truth stage, and will amble around a couple of times to see the general lie of the land, but the music isn't really my thing and late nights are increasingly less my thing 😄 bed at 2am is late doors, and i quite like the tiered seating in the circus tents after the headliners (with a big old bit of cake)

Generally I don't like the music so the appeal is limited for me. That said, the Hell Stage gets better each year and I have found stuff there I like.

But I do love the visual side of it, even if the Unfairground feels a little past its sell-by date now. IICON is amazing and at any other festival it would be the main stage. I just love that this part of the festival exists. Most other UK fests more or less shut down at midnight and the SE Corner really is a big part of why Galstonbury is as amazing as it is. So, I'm happy to get in there one night at least just to see the sights. If more venues would do a 'Prince hour' I'd be dancing a bit more.

• Upvote 3

Desperately want to stay up this year and explore more. I no longer drink or partake in extra curriculars, so the tiredness will be real. Also my husband (Bless him), has never been a dancey dancey type person. I think he's a bit scared of the whole SE Corner as is. I regale him with stories of the club scene in London in the 00s and he blanches. 

Just now, WhatADin said:

Desperately want to stay up this year and explore more. I no longer drink or partake in extra curriculars, so the tiredness will be real.

One of our crew is in long term recovery from drink and drugs. I once bumped into him at 2am in SH, dancing like a good one. I asked how he manages to stay up without "assistance". His answer, coffee and chocolate.

• Upvote 3

I used to like it when it had the lanes and all the weird sci-fi stuff and micro venues. It was like a living art piece. Now it is more like a big club culture area and is so very very busy. Which is great for anyone into that but it's not my scene really apart from the rock venue, so I only go there once, late one night (normally Sunday into Monday), just to take in all the structures and atmosphere, stay for about 30 minutes and then move on. I'm glad it's there as it means a lot to a lot of people. I just really do miss how it used to be.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sime said:

I used to like it when it had the lanes and all the weird sci-fi stuff and micro venues. It was like a living art piece. Now it is more like a big club culture area and is so very very busy. Which is great for anyone into that but it's not my scene really apart from the rock venue, so I only go there once, late one night (normally Sunday into Monday), just to take in all the structures and atmosphere, stay for about 30 minutes and then move on. I'm glad it's there as it means a lot to a lot of people. I just really do miss how it used to be.

Those were the days. Really liked that too. Did shots from some syringes in a doctors waiting room or hospital venue. The place couldn't have been bigger than my kitchen, was tiny. Really felt like you were in a piece of live theatre.

Last year I didnt visit once .... usually at least have a stroll through in the daytime , Its the opposite side of site to my camp and im generally knackered by 3am these days ( drug free fest for me )apart from alcohol . its just too busy these days after hours and just feels like a shuffle through . Im interested in what the common brings this time some of the instagram lives have upped my interest and i keep thinking I need to visit the temple 

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I chose the bottom option - not got an issue with the "drug heads" as it put it, but it's just not the genre for me. I will go down there this year but it just doesn't really factor in as a big part of my festival. The "specific acts" might have been the option I should have gone for, but they are few and far between that land down there.

Worried the option sounded loaded or judgy on my part where I hope it didn't. Not a thing that bothers me myself and I'll confess to as much of it as I can on a public forum. I just know some people don't like being around it which is fine as well.

Just now, 1986 said:

Worried the option sounded loaded or judgy on my part where I hope it didn't. Not a thing that bothers me myself and I'll confess to as much of it as I can on a public forum. I just know some people don't like being around it which is fine as well.

Conversely I don't like being around people who have drunk too much/can't handle their alcohol.

• Upvote 2

There's not really an option that suits me. Thr closest one was the second one down but when i do go, i go for a whole night and I dont find it overcrowded. I try and do a mix across the festival. So one night SE corner until late, one night Arcadia, one night Glade and other random bits and bobs, one night just sitting in the circus tent until earlier hours. I love it all. If SE corner were the only option, I'd be there every night 

26 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Those were the days. Really liked that too. Did shots from some syringes in a doctors waiting room or hospital venue. The place couldn't have been bigger than my kitchen, was tiny. Really felt like you were in a piece of live theatre.

Agree.

I cringe a bit at becoming one of the bores who bangs on about it being better in the old day but I feel liked the SE corner peaked about 2011.

the tiny alleys where every corner and every room brought something completely unexpected. Ended up in the club you needed a tattoo (or a transfer on the door) to get into and there were topless women in gas masks spraying everyone with paint from water pistols, snakes on dancing men in cages and a ska band smashing out music. 

it’s no coincidence I liked it more when I was in my 20s but it all seems a bit open and dull now. Last year was the first time ever I wasn’t there after midnight.

34 minutes ago, sime said:

Yeah I wish they would just pay someone to build something like that elsewhere on site. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Good times!