Royal Blood

ahoykatie

I saw Frank Carter, an act I'm not mad on, win over a packed tent full of Killers fans in 2017, playing less accessible music than Royal Blood. 

Absoloute banter watching them act like they're the f**king Jesus Lizard because they're boring a crowd of sixth formers to death, get a grip lads ffs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, theglastokid said:

I’m no Royal Blood fan, the first album wasn’t too bad but the rest has been a re-hash of that, but surely this puts to bed the myth that ‘Scottish Crowds are the best in the world’ that get churned out every time there is TV coverage of any festival up there. Drives me mad. Every band that gets interviewed, the first question they get asked is ‘so then how was the crowd here in Scotland’. Loaded question every time. 

When it was TRNSMT a few years back LCD Soundsystem played to about 30 people and that’s no exaggeration.

Best fans in the world must surely go to the Argentinians 

Any videos of Lolla in Argentina or Chile confirm this. Would love to go one day with a decent line up.

These two have previous with a promoter I know really well, a right couple of idiots. 

Why the hell play shows like this and then slag the crowd, surely they know not everyone is going to like them. Just be humble or not do these shows.

10 hours ago, theglastokid said:

I’m no Royal Blood fan, the first album wasn’t too bad but the rest has been a re-hash of that, but surely this puts to bed the myth that ‘Scottish Crowds are the best in the world’ that get churned out every time there is TV coverage of any festival up there. Drives me mad. Every band that gets interviewed, the first question they get asked is ‘so then how was the crowd here in Scotland’. Loaded question every time. 

When it was TRNSMT a few years back LCD Soundsystem played to about 30 people and that’s no exaggeration.

Best fans in the world must surely go to the Argentinians 

Sometimes I think we over do it but thanks. 

Early on their career they were supported by an established management company and quite a few small promotors/venues were strongly encouraged to book them if they wanted access to bigger acts.

They had a reputation for acting like complete tools back then and it seems as if nothing has changed. They always felt like an act that the industry willed into being to capitalise on a trend and I am amazed that they are still thing. 

9 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

What were they expecting? Its big weekend of course its going to be dead. (insert surpsied pikachu meme here)

Take your money, play your 32 minute show and f**k off. 

I mean, on the Friday they did their own show at Nottingham Rock City (to which a friend was there and the crowd looked enjoyably moshy) then on Saturday they opened for Muse in Plymouth. Three shows in three days playing to gradually less interested crowds is an odd one to agree to, not least given Plymouth to Dundee in a day is a f**king trek.

I'm more puzzled as to why they agreed to do it in the first place when they had such a long trek to do it. But unquestionably, it does betray a bit of a bad attitude to basically tell the crowd to go f**k yourself for not being interested.

I watched the whole set back on iplayer so I could see the comments in context. It actually makes it worse. The singer comes on immediately upset and seemingly embarrassed, likely because of the subdued cheer that followed presenter Jack Saunders shouting their name. I feel like they thought they'd be the Rage Against The Machine to Horan, Capaldi etc's Daphne and Celeste. I guess things are different when you've only ever seen festivals from one vantage point.

The 'clapping ourselves' and 'this is rock music' moments brought to mind the time my boss's (privately educated) son near tears explained down the phone to philpotts that his sandwich had 'the wrong bacon' on it.

22 hours ago, sadimmock said:

Early on their career they were supported by an established management company and quite a few small promotors/venues were strongly encouraged to book them if they wanted access to bigger acts.

They had a reputation for acting like complete tools back then and it seems as if nothing has changed. They always felt like an act that the industry willed into being to capitalise on a trend and I am amazed that they are still thing. 

I always got this vibe too, they didn't seem to grow naturally definitely felt like promoters were forcing them just about everywhere they could. 

Just rewatched the clip… it certainly sounds like they’re getting a good cheer from the crowd. Has this been dubbed on?

Also, it really isn’t that bad. Sure, the guy is a twat, but it’s just a few innocuous comments about the crowd. I feel the reaction has been very overblown - I mean, really, expecting them to be dropped from other line-ups!?!? If a more beloved artist had done it, we’d all be laughing with them, not at them.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

The 'clapping ourselves' and 'this is rock music' moments brought to mind the time my boss's (privately educated) son near tears explained down the phone to philpotts that his sandwich had 'the wrong bacon' on it.

I'd like to know more of this story, its tickled me already 😄 did he want streaky? nobody wants streaky. Back bacon or no bacon!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:46 AM, Alex DeLarge said:

I saw Frank Carter, an act I'm not mad on, win over a packed tent full of Killers fans in 2017, playing less accessible music than Royal Blood. 

Absoloute banter watching them act like they're the f**king Jesus Lizard because they're boring a crowd of sixth formers to death, get a grip lads ffs.

Not familiar with Frank Carter but fair play for giving it a go. Baffled by Royal Blood though, aside from the headliners festival slots are essentially adverts, chance for you to gain new fans but 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I'd like to know more of this story, its tickled me already 😄 did he want streaky? nobody wants streaky. Back bacon or no bacon!

Word Bro.  Only place for Streaky bacon is PIBs.  Once a year.  Christmas

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:46 AM, Alex DeLarge said:

Same here, that Frank Carter set was epic!

19 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean, on the Friday they did their own show at Nottingham Rock City (to which a friend was there and the crowd looked enjoyably moshy) then on Saturday they opened for Muse in Plymouth. Three shows in three days playing to gradually less interested crowds is an odd one to agree to, not least given Plymouth to Dundee in a day is a f**king trek.

I'm more puzzled as to why they agreed to do it in the first place when they had such a long trek to do it. But unquestionably, it does betray a bit of a bad attitude to basically tell the crowd to go f**k yourself for not being interested.

Presumably to keep being played on Radio 1? I mean, it's not like they're otherwise relevant anymore...

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Presumably to keep being played on Radio 1? I mean, it's not like they're otherwise relevant anymore...

They get played an incredible amount on Radio 1. Even on Monday afternoon they played a song out and talked like it was some sort of rocking triumphant set 

Edited by efcfanwirral

On 5/29/2023 at 6:58 PM, JayDiesel said:

Fair enough to Mike for calling out dead crowds, I've been to a lot of shows where the crowd is utterly unmoved to a lively band, but R1 Big Weekend was never gonna have walls of death like. I'm surprised stuff like that doesn't happen more often, because the amount of shows you see where acts are going hell for leather on stage to a wall of phones and sculptures is pretty infuriatingly high. Odd all round.

Maybe they should try playing music or people enjoy instead of being sh*t?

13 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Maybe they should try playing music or people enjoy instead of being sh*t?

I mean they didnt pain themsleves in a good light but they are better than any pop act ou there if they are not a great rock act.

Rock is on the comeback so hopefully the teeny tot pop lovers can have there own solo little festivals and keep the rock seperate haha