Predict the final TBAs

churlie100

If true and it's Blossoms + RA/Hozier/Pretenders, that's a massively underwhelming trio for TBA acts. I get the hype around Blossoms and Rick Astley doing their thing, which seems cool enough to leave off of the line up, but what's the point of leaving the other two off and using TBA on the line up drop when neither act really deserves an unannounced slot of a main stage? 

Not to complain by the way, having the Foos already on the pyramid sort of blows anything else out the water, just quite confused as to why they've kept these acts behind if not for contractual reasons, as I really can't see what excitement any of them are going to generate on the day when the veil drops and it's each of the above. 

Sorry for being pessimistic, just feel as though if the festival are teasing us with TBA's, it should at least be for an act of a certain stature if not to everyone's taste!

The RA/Blossoms Smiths Tribute stuff on YouTube is actually really good!  Can't see me missing other stuff to watch it, however.  That said, I'd probaby watch/listen to pretty much any decent musicians playing The Smiths covers.  Timeless.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The RA/Blossoms Smiths Tribute stuff on YouTube is actually really good!  Can't see me missing other stuff to watch it, however.  That said, I'd probaby watch/listen to pretty much any decent musicians playing The Smiths covers.  Timeless.

Real shame The Smyth's aren't there again 😭

4 hours ago, StevieGed said:

If true and it's Blossoms + RA/Hozier/Pretenders, that's a massively underwhelming trio for TBA acts. I get the hype around Blossoms and Rick Astley doing their thing, which seems cool enough to leave off of the line up, but what's the point of leaving the other two off and using TBA on the line up drop when neither act really deserves an unannounced slot of a main stage? 

Not to complain by the way, having the Foos already on the pyramid sort of blows anything else out the water, just quite confused as to why they've kept these acts behind if not for contractual reasons, as I really can't see what excitement any of them are going to generate on the day when the veil drops and it's each of the above. 

Sorry for being pessimistic, just feel as though if the festival are teasing us with TBA's, it should at least be for an act of a certain stature if not to everyone's taste!

They’re clearly trying to stick with the TBA’s but lessen the massive expectations surrounding them, but yeah, although Hozier is probably a bit too big for that slot and The Pretenders would maybe a little higher… ultimately they hardly feel special at all, especially with the stiff competition they’re all gonna have on against them. Interested to see if the crowds end up filling the tent + field purely because they’re TBAs, or if they’ll just have standard crowds for their positions on the lineup. 

Yeh totally agree, nothing against any of the bands 'rumoured' for the TBAs...quite like them. But they are not bands I'd go out of my way to see in the slightest. Extremely underwhelming... and a little bit pointless in my opinion. May as well have put them on the lineup in those slots? Weird 

Still hoping it's not any of those suggested

Those saying the bands as TBAs are underwhelming and disappointed are also the same ones who said it was too busy last year and having areas completely closed off is not good for the festival. You can't have both. 

If these are true, then maybe GFL are trying to damper the expectations around TBAs on purpose, to stop the crowd surges, just as the council were saying. Do it for a couple of festivals and then have the one 'big' surprise every now and then. 

• Like 1

If they were doing that (watering down the tba expectations) though they could just sack off the acts being billed as TBA’s in the first place

unless the act themselves is desperate to be a tba for their own reasons

its very odd to have hozier, blossoms w / rick and pretenders as TBA’s. They would each get a good crowd but nothing remotely dangerous.

End of the day the rumour mill keeps people talking about the festival and ensures at least a few surprises for the less engaged. There will still be people in reality who dont know foos are churnups probably.

Edited by Memory Man

Most of the reasons for an act being TBA are contractual ones. Expectations have got ridiculous and need to be settled down to something reasonable i.e. generally it will be an act not far off that billing level anyway that wants to be a secret or has to be because of contracts elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Now thinking courteeners over foo fighters potentially so prime position for TBA of I decide to stay but are we sure it is definitely the Take Me To Chuch one hit wonder?

TBA after Couteeners is Rick and the Stockport lads doing Mozza and Marr.

Edited by briddj

Hozier is still a big act for a TBA. The guy’s just announced an arena tour for the end of the year. None of the headliners on the Woodsies could get away with an arena tour. Just because you aren’t a fan of his music doesn’t mean that it isn’t a good act for a late afternoon unannounced slot on the tent. 

Pretenders, if playing, would most likely be a TBA because of playing Kite Festival last week and Black Deer fest this week. Small festivals who will need every single punter they can get through the door and the Pretenders may convince a few last minutes punters to grab a ticket. 

Blossoms and Rick Astley are two big acts and they’d be playing a cool unique set. 

I see no problems with any of the unannounced sets. None are of the ilk of The Killers but they all look good to me for their slots.