Iggy here - no, seriously!

eFestivals

welcome Iggy and thank you for a great introduction . This community has been a very big part of many peoples lives and im glad that you seem to appreciate that .

A couple of early things you might be able to look at ... where the wild things account as has been mentioned already .... and some fair moderation ( im happy to do this as part of a team once again ) but some clear rules need to be outlined and available for all members to see . 

Also the IP bans that seem to be haphazardly affecting peoples use of this site is there anything that can be done to make any bans targeted at peoples individual machines rather than a sweeping area ban which impacts other users ,many of whom have paid for Gold membership and then cant access the site 

Good lucking your new venture and look forward to interacting with you in future 

• Upvote 1

I'm losing track of which thread this should be posted in.  But how about some EFests meets at festivals other than Glasto?  I'm not going to Pilton this year after many years as it was so rammed, and will be concentrating on other fests, also attended by many EFesters - such as Green Man and Wychwood.  So any thoughts on EFests meets at some of the other fests as well?

Welcome Iggy and congratulation on your purchase. I’m certain you will get to grips with the place very quickly. 

It’s a genuinely great community of people and with fair and reasonable moderation will become a really pleasant and unproblematic environment to hang out in. 

I’m feeling very excited about what this place can now become. 

Good luck my friend, you have a lot of people on the sidelines cheering you on!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I'm losing track of which thread this should be posted in.  But how about some EFests meets at festivals other than Glasto?  I'm not going to Pilton this year after many years as it was so rammed, and will be concentrating on other fests, also attended by many EFesters - such as Green Man and Wychwood.  So any thoughts on EFests meets at some of the other fests as well?

We did one at Beautiful Days 2 years ago. Come to think of it, I remember who organised it so I think that was actually a @Crazyfool01 meet rather than an eFests one 😉 

11 hours ago, dulcificum said:

Please can you define "medium term"?

It would be at least a couple of years as far as I can tell. As long as it takes really. I'm here for the site, not the other way around.

11 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Was ready to cancel my gold but will keep it running. 
Nice to ‘meet’ you Iggy. 
I’d be happy to write some content from time to time.

Nice to meet you too and thank you! I very much appreciate that 🙂 Will be in touch regarding content.

11 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

Welcome, Iggy! 

I look forward to seeing this place grow and evolve over the coming months and years. This place is a wonderful community and is an integral part of my festival build up.

May I wish you the best of luck running this site, as I'm sure Neil will attest, it is quite the multi faceted beast that requires a lot of care and attention

Thanks! I'm very excited about it all. It's a great place and I want to ensure it stays that way. I know it means a lot to a lot of people. Haha! It's got its quirks, that's for sure 😄 

11 hours ago, Joey01 said:

It's great to have you on board, it's been my lust for life to have such an admin represent this forum. If there's anything you need to me do, I'll do it Iggy as I want to be your dog. Hopefully together we can search and destroy all of the troublemakers.  I don't want to stand back and be a passenger while others try and ruin the forum for you, it's been no fun of late.

That's brilliant 🤣 You're hired!

11 hours ago, theciderviking said:

Posted this in the other thread before I saw this intro, so copying here where it's probably more relevant...

Welcome Iggy. 👋

It's been a tough few months for this community, and like many I've despaired at the way things have gone and have had to bite my tongue on many occasions (unsuccessfully on some 🙈). I'm sure that despite all that has transpired we're all grateful to Neil for creating eFestivals and giving this community a place to thrive and grow, and become much greater than the sum of its parts or contribution of any one individual. However it's been clear for some time that things weren't working out, and it's great to see a positive approach moving forward - I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the direction you take things in, and I wish you every success in your new venture. 

On a personal level, I owe eFests an enormous debt of gratitude because it has given me a group of friends for life, and I know that sentiment is shared by all of our (now several hundred strong) group. I hope that with renewed focus and positivity it can continue to do the same for hundreds of others in the future.

Hope your first day "in the office" so to speak gets better, and if you're on the farm in a few weeks I'd love to buy you a cider. 🍻  (I now know you're not 😞 Hopefully next year!) 

And yes, you too Neil, because despite disagreeing and having quite strong feelings about some of what you've said and done more recently I still recognise the enormous contribution you've made to so many of us over the years via this community. I hope that you can find some peace now and focus on your health. 

Thank you for the welcome and very well said. I wouldn't want this site to be about any individual. It's about festivals and a community spirit so let's keep it that way. So nice to hear about how you've been positively effected by this site! 

11 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Welcome Iggy, I was also about to cancel my gold membership, but will keep it running and see how this site evolves

The users here are a passionate, and protective group with of course a few trolls thrown in for good measure, I would say the majority are emotionally invested and want whats best and it seems you are too... so welcome and thank you for introducing yourself, we needed it this morning

Thank you! And thank you for not cancelling your membership. It really makes a huge difference to the running of the site and I'm really thankful. Hope it doesn't disappoint. I realise how important this place is to many people so that's definitely something I'd like to protect as much as possible. We're all in it together I feel. I'm very touched at the very warm welcome from everyone. 

11 hours ago, circus92 said:

Welcome Iggy.  Excellent intro - sounds very positive.  Lots of people love the community that has been created on here and hopefully this will be the start of getting it back on track.  Good Luck! 😊

I hope so! Thanks 🙂

11 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Welcome, Iggy!

Longtime lurker, gold member, and occasional poster. I owe this site and a select few of the members here for granting me and my friends access to past editions of the big fest we all hold dear, for which I will forever be grateful. Genuinely wish you and the team all the best in your new venture.

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it and glad you've been on the receiving end of some kindness from the people here.

11 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Most of which are passionate, want the best for this site, want two way respect, no mud slinging, along  with moderators and Admin who are fair 

Users are what makes this site, and for sure what fuels the forums - and mutual respect should be a  given both ways 

I'll leave it there , all the best to Iggy and thank you Neil for building what you have over the years, a space for us all to virtually meet, chat and in some cases physically meet and build friendships.  What you built is special and will continue to be so, I hope you continue to get better and find an outlet for your passions as you move forward 

Nicely said 😊 Thank you very much

10 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I don't like change

*crawls under a rock*

Welcome 🙂

🤣 Thanks!

9 hours ago, Wherethewildthingsare2 said:

Welcome! Long term gold member here but currently banned from my main account @wherethewildthingsare due to alleged spam (an Amazon link to camping equipment if you check!). Please can I have this back so I can use my no ad gold membership until 2024. I have cancelled but very happy to renew. Efestivals is a huge part of my Glasto prep/reflections and personally love this format.

thanks and good luck to you and to Neil

That sounds unfortunate. Appreciate the contribution! Will see what we can do about that - will talk to Neil...

9 hours ago, Big durbs said:

Welcome Iggy . this site has the most wonderful people , who love festivals ( not only Glasto ) , .

This forum ( and by definition Neil ) got a lot of us through covid with having to resort to jumping off a bridge . we have also been here for Neil when he has had his health issues .

But in the last couple of months / 24 hours its taken a very dark turn , to that end i have stopped my auto renew of my gold membership which is due up in august.

I am hoping that with a new hand on the steering wheel YOU can get this site back to its golden age and well away for the disgusting display we had last night.

Thank you! I'll certainly do my best to steer this ship in the right direction. I appreciate your support and hope the situation will improve enough for you to reconsider. The main thing is that you're still here 🙂

9 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

welcome Iggy and thank you for a great introduction . This community has been a very big part of many peoples lives and im glad that you seem to appreciate that .

A couple of early things you might be able to look at ... where the wild things account as has been mentioned already .... and some fair moderation ( im happy to do this as part of a team once again ) but some clear rules need to be outlined and available for all members to see . 

Also the IP bans that seem to be haphazardly affecting peoples use of this site is there anything that can be done to make any bans targeted at peoples individual machines rather than a sweeping area ban which impacts other users ,many of whom have paid for Gold membership and then cant access the site 

Good lucking your new venture and look forward to interacting with you in future 

Thanks for the welcome Crazy! I very much appreciate the importance of this community. Will look into the banned account - that's on the list. Thanks for your offer for moderation - will get back to you about that. Are there no public forum rules here? If not, that's something I'd like to address. regarding the IP bans, the plan is to remove them all but I'm a little concerned about a potential tidal waves of spam and bots that might unleash. However, preventing swathes of IPs from accessing the site is not in anybody's interest and prevents legitimate users from having access.

9 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

If people are happy to organise I can only encourage that! Sounds like good fun

7 hours ago, ticketboy69 said:

Welcome Iggy and congratulation on your purchase. I’m certain you will get to grips with the place very quickly. 

It’s a genuinely great community of people and with fair and reasonable moderation will become a really pleasant and unproblematic environment to hang out in. 

I’m feeling very excited about what this place can now become. 

Good luck my friend, you have a lot of people on the sidelines cheering you on!

Thanks a lot and couldn't agree more. I'm genuinely very grateful for the amazing welcome. Really looking forward to see the planned work start and hopefully make this an even better place to be than it already is 🙌

6 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Welcome Iggy. Looking to enjoy the ride as I have done under Neil's stewardship.

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone I didn't reply to directly as well. I'm humbled by the very warm welcome and I hope you all love what's to come. I'm very much feeling the positivity here which I'm very, very grateful for and don't take for granted. You lot are all right 😁

Edited by eFestivals

10 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

@eFestivals I would like to second @Crazyfool01 as a moderator, in the time he helped Neil out he was great. You won't find a better ambassador for eFestivals than Alex! 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

t. Thanks for your offer for moderation - will get back to you about that. Are there no public forum rules here

when the initial breakaway occurred there were lots of people wondering why they were banned and couldn't find the forum rules ... if they are there  and I and others cant find them they dont serve a purpose ... they might be somewhere .

oh and does this forum offer a faster chat offering ? .... not one for me, but might encourage some people who enjoy things a bit faster than the slower forum offering 

Welcome Iggy @eFestivalsgreat to have you on board.

Been on these forums for over 20 years from when I attended my first Glastonbury and overall it has been a great place to be.  Especially during lockdown having the virtual meets was great and has led to me making some great friends on here.

It has been a bit of a bumpy ride in recent times but I wish @Neilall the best and hope the future is bright both for you and efestivals and its forums.

I'd also endorse @Crazyfool01as a moderator. Would be good as well to sort the IP ban issue out as it happens to me fairly frequently when I'm on my phone and mobile data.

9 minutes ago, dondo said:

Would be good as well to sort the IP ban issue out

having just spent the last five minutes dealing with spam i disagree. it'll open the floodgates to bad spamming.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:28 AM, eFestivals said:

Hi all! Time for an introduction. As some of you may have heard, eFestivals is now under new ownership and I’m the ‘Iggy’ you might have seen mentioned. Firstly, I’d like to thank Neil for creating this site and fostering this brilliant community, and for being a genuinely lovely guy with the best intentions at heart at all times. He’s done an incredible job over the past couple of decades. It takes something special for a site to survive 20+ years and that’s in no small part down to the community itself. There’s a spirit of camaraderie here and a level of passion you don’t often see in online communities. This makes it quite special in my eyes.

I’ve worked with the site and with Neil for almost a decade now and I love this place. Your enthusiasm for festivals is infectious to say the least. So much so, that it’s converting me into becoming a festival-goer (yet to get my hands on Glasto tickets though)! The amount of info and great advice available here is unmatched in my opinion, and I’m really thankful that you’re all here.

The vision for the site is to make it the primary hub and community for all festival goers. Somewhere you can find anything from the latest festival news and lineup rumours, to reviews, to insightful festival-related journalism, and of course, join the welcoming, vibrant, and friendly community. There are bold plans in place and a growing team of lovely people who are very excited to get working on the site to make it all a reality over the coming months.

I really want this to be a place where you find real value and keep the excitement of the festival season going all year around. Festivals to me are all about that feeling of togetherness, belonging, friendship, lots of fun and silliness, and losing yourself in the moment. And some great music doesn’t hurt either! I’d love for this site to reflect this and will do all I can to make it happen. I’m here to build all the bridges and burn none.

I’d love to draw on the pool of amazingly passionate and knowledgeable individuals here to help the site grow and flourish. If anyone is interested in writing festival-related content, moderating the forums, or has any ideas and suggestion for improving this lovely place, I’m all ears - please send me a message.

And for full disclosure, this project will be run in the style of a non-profit for the medium term. All spare funds the site generates will go back into growing and improving the site. I’m not here to cash in. Any contributions you guys make, whether that’s having your adblock turned off or being extremely generous and paying for Gold membership or buying merch, will make a huge positive impact to the future of this site and will save kittens/puppies (probably).

If you have any suggestions, questions, concerns, or anything, please fire away (privately or publicly) and I’ll do my best to address them all.

Thank you all!

Peace

Iggy

Hi Iggy,

Firstly welcome, lovely to meet you and I wish you well on this upcoming venture.

On behalf of the inhabitants of Disco Road (AKA The Idiot's Clubhouse) - we're not allowed to use the actual word on here, we would like to extend the hand of friendship.

I'm not sure how much you know about the history of these forums but about a year things happened and a few dozen of us broke off and formed our own site. In the year that has followed we've blossomed into a thriving community of our own with well over 1,000 members. We've even had info on lineups and whatnot well before it's reached anywhere else. We've moved out of the shadow of just being a splinter group and are now our own separate entity with our own identity. Plus we talk about biscuits and Succession a lot.

Point is that we look forward to a friendly co-existence with the new and improved eFests and wish you all well. There are plenty of folk who post on both sites so there's absolutely no reason why we can't all get along.

Best wishes

HJ

• Upvote 2

Hello @eFestivals

This is a follow up to @Hugh Jass IIpost

Glad to see a positive development for this site, it has served very useful over the years for many users. @Neilwe wish you all the best

Whilst my post count and membership numbers here are not as high as others, I went through a sustained period of use before the run up to the last year, but have drifted after some of the goings on

I now find myself as one of the moderaters for OOFestivals; The D i s c o r d server which spawned a year ago today. Hopefully you won't nuke my account for mentioning this about myself! There are indeed other Mods of that server in efests

We have a very active and friendly community over there, and whilst it began as a new home for people who departed here it has taken on a life of it's own and we've gathered users from all corners of the festival internet, amassing around 1350 users. We have an open arms approach and have no qualms with users inhabiting both spaces.

All the Mods of OOF hope this new dawn for your site can be start of a happy coexistence, we do not seek to disrupt eFestivals and often direct users to threads here for useful things, hopefully it reaches a point where the same can happen in reverse. 

Hope you manage to get your first set of Glastonbury tickets before too long so you can see what all the fuss is about!

Best

jleather / leath02

Edited by leath02
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

having just spent the last five minutes dealing with spam i disagree. it'll open the floodgates to bad spamming.

I've come across nowhere else on the internet that uses IP range bans to stop spam so I suspect there are other solutions.

On 5/15/2023 at 1:51 PM, Big durbs said:

I am hoping that with a new hand on the steering wheel YOU can get this site back to its golden age and well away for the disgusting display we had last night.

Missed that, was away. What happened?