Secret Sets 2023

Welshinexile

Not to rain on anyone's parade but from the recent interview it seems we may not have really high profiles / planned sets this year?

After last year’s festival, Mendip district council recommended that the event improve crowd control, following massive turnouts for the likes of Wet Leg and TLC. Eavis admitted that there were some surprise performers, such as Sugababes, who “were a bit too big for the stages that they were booked on. We’re making sure that doesn’t happen this year by not having big surprises in small places”.

Just now, wro_lap said:

I think EE means we won't have secret sets the size of The Killers again. Jack White, for instance, was far from dangerous. Did they even have to close off the park for that?

i dunno we were discussing this on last nights virtual meet .... could they still run them in JP / woodsies as that doesnt really seem to create manny issues as they seem to be able to close the field pretty easily .... 

8 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I think EE means we won't have secret sets the size of The Killers again. Jack White, for instance, was far from dangerous. Did they even have to close off the park for that?

Could very easily see Black Keys doing the same as JW on the Park

Edited by MrRadioactiveCake

37 minutes ago, moogster said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but from the recent interview it seems we may not have really high profiles / planned sets this year?

those are just announced sets at too small venues, with secret sets they'll have an army of staff at woodsies to keep everyone safe vs the shock for the sugababes being rammed

35 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

1975, pulp, I reckon Fred again will play many times across the weekend. Probably announce a set like 30 minutes beforehand on insta or something

think fred will be doing lots of sets, popping up with four tet etc but hes doing other already. not sure there would be a main stage secret set

38 minutes ago, lendan said:

Foos or pulp would be amazing, 

My worry would be getting there early and it turns out to be the 1975. 

There’s almost zero chance of not knowing who the secret sets are before turning up these days, either through here or even the festival itself dropping hints on Instagram etc. They’re never secret right up until they walk on stage anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There’s almost zero chance of not knowing who the secret sets are before turning up these days, either through here or even the festival itself dropping hints on Instagram etc. They’re never secret right up until they walk on stage anymore.

I think it would be better to just announce the 'secret' acts in the glastonbury guide when u get to the festival. 

Just now, Euphoricape said:

I think it would be better to just announce the 'secret' acts in the glastonbury guide when u get to the festival. 

I wouldn’t go that far as I quite like the speculation that is often happening up until the day, but it’s probably best that they quietly announce it on the day so that word gets out and stops hoards of people turning up to see Harry Styles only to be met with Pulp. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I wouldn’t go that far as I quite like the speculation that is often happening up until the day, but it’s probably best that they quietly announce it on the day so that word gets out and stops hoards of people turning up to see Harry Styles only to be met with Pulp. 

Or even worse turning up to see Green day only to be presented with the horrors of George Ezra.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Isn't that what they do? 

I'm sure I remember George Ezra being a push notification from the app.

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Isn't that what they do? 

I'm sure I remember George Ezra being a push notification from the app.

Yeah and Jack White was mentioned in that days daily press or whatever it is.

8 minutes ago, fingers_mark said:

Can't see Pulp doing it. Why would they do the same thing again.

Thing they'll avoid big name secret sets this year, it'll only lead to crowd congestion chat and debate, and hoping they've learned from last year.

I don’t think they’ll avoid them. They’re popular and expected these days, and as long as they’re confined to the likes of the Park and JP that can easily be cordoned off once at capacity then there’s no risk of overcrowding. Very much expect them to continue to be a thing for the foreseeable.

5 minutes ago, fingers_mark said:

Can't see Pulp doing it. Why would they do the same thing again.

Thing they'll avoid big name secret sets this year, it'll only lead to crowd congestion chat and debate, and hoping they've learned from last year.

Just can’t bring myself to believe that they aren’t there at all .

No dates that weekend , history with the festival etc . It makes no sense that they wouldnt be there somewhere but not sure what slot they could realistically do based on info we’ve got .

secret set seems to make the most sense even though they’ve done it before .

• Upvote 1