Secret Sets 2023

Welshinexile

Foo fighters are certainly up there with my fave bands but surely being in Europe at the start of June and back to the US the same month, they aren’t going to head back over again? 

I know he popped over for a few songs last year but I mean cmon, it’s Paul McCartney. 

Or have I missed additional info why a FF secret set is being tipped? FC0E1891-F59B-48BC-9369-02AE813A7C7F.thumb.png.cda1e3ef9e82b9081f08c5f406fc1b3c.png

Edited by RatingsAndMoney

23 minutes ago, RatingsAndMoney said:

surely being in Europe at the start of June and back to the US the same month, they aren’t going to head back over again? 

It makes a FF appearance less likely but still leaves the door open for Dave to drum for QOTSA imo.

And don't call me Shirley.

Edited by BambooShanks

7 hours ago, sisco said:

If they put The Killers in the old tent then Foos could also go there. I’m not saying it’s likely but it could certainly happen. 

I think attitudes towards crowd safety have changed somewhat in the last six years though due to a few high-profile incidents. I don't think we will ever see a mammoth act on the John Peel or Park as a secret set ever again to be honest

2 hours ago, homesick said:

I think attitudes towards crowd safety have changed somewhat in the last six years though due to a few high-profile incidents. I don't think we will ever see a mammoth act on the John Peel or Park as a secret set ever again to be honest

Very good point

• 3 months later...
Just now, hurdy said:

@SecretGlasto up and running - any ideas of an alternative to Zapier for SMS alerts seeing as they are now charging for the service?

It seems unlikely - The charge is for linking to Twitter, and that's because Twitter is charging external apps through the nose. Anyone who does offer a service like that is going to incur (and likely pass on) those costs.

Just now, incident said:

It seems unlikely - The charge is for linking to Twitter, and that's because Twitter is charging external apps through the nose. Anyone who does offer a service like that is going to incur (and likely pass on) those costs.

Ah, understood, cheers.

Nice one Elon.

On 3/8/2023 at 3:04 PM, wro_lap said:

Did they even have to close off the Park for Jack White? It felt like the crowd was big, but not absolutely heaving as it was for Foals

I'm pretty sure they didn't.  We arrived shortly before he started and while it was busy, it never felt overwhelmingly so

9 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Ah, understood, cheers.

Nice one Elon.

Yeah it's a pain.

A year ago I was quite vocal that retaining SMS-friendly length messages was essential due to it being more reliable than data when on site. But that's now basically no longer a factor with both Zapier and IFTTT moving Twitter access to their paid-for tiers and Power Automate needing you to use your own API key.

IFTTT is significantly cheaper than Zapier, but personally I'm not inclined to pay at all for this.

23 minutes ago, hurdy said:

@SecretGlasto up and running - any ideas of an alternative to Zapier for SMS alerts seeing as they are now charging for the service?

Maybe something using IFTTT to send a message to Telegram or WhatsApp? 

Let me see what I can build...

Edit: Nvm they're charging for it as well nowadays...

Edited by BloodyJonesy

TBH not sure I see the benefit of WA/Telegram here?

Going from Twitter to SMS gets round the issue of data coverage being shocking on site - my experience is that SMS often works when Data doesn't.

WA/Telegram still require a data connection - in which case I'd just use the Twitter app (which I'll install for the first time on Tuesday, and then remove on the way home) and have it notify me directly.

• Upvote 1

Does IFTTT Pro give you the SMS function then? I don't mind paying a couple of quid, but from what I could see Zapier wanted £24 for a month's access.

Edit: or even free with a seven day trial as previously mentioned.

Edited by hurdy

2 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Does IFTTT Pro give you the SMS function then? I don't mind paying a couple of quid, but from what I could see Zapier wanted £24 for a month's access

So only 10 SMSs a month.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

TBH not sure I see the benefit of WA/Telegram here?

Going from Twitter to SMS gets round the issue of data coverage being shocking on site - my experience is that SMS often works when Data doesn't.

WA/Telegram still require a data connection - in which case I'd just use the Twitter app (which I'll install for the first time on Tuesday, and then remove on the way home) and have it notify me directly.

I get that, but some people I'm with don't have twitter, and it's nice to just have it delivered as a message rather than hoping that Twitter sends it correctly

For what it's worth - anyone who has access to Power Automate (and I guess most probably will through their Microsoft 365 account provided by their Work, School, or University) - their Twitter integration is in the standard tier, but asks you to provide your own API key. You can get a free (limited use but should be sufficient) API key by signing up to Twitters developer programme.

The issue then becomes that PA doesn't have direct SMS support - would then need to use the Twilio connector - Twilio is chargeable but at approx 4p per message should work out cheaper than anything else. Though I've not investigated fully to see if there's any hidden charges.