Secret Sets 2023

Welshinexile

13 hours ago, maelzoid said:

There is something nice about a secret set, but perhaps they just need to re-brand it as a 'late addition'. They certainly need to match the size of the act to the stage because although it was great for whoever got to see Killers in the tent, it's pretty rotten on genuine Killers fans who got locked out, or simply didn't find out in time.

I think the announcements should be made well ahead of time as well. There's nothing worse than having everyone constantly check their phones for an announcement. Isn't that exactly what we're trying to get away from?

Thats on them for not checking up enough. I dont like the Killers that much but made it a point to go see them because I knew it was going to be electric in there for that set. I got there at the start of King Gizz and was on the barrier off to the side a bit with a pretty good view. Then stayed for Goldfrapp and was right in front of her cause everyone left. Win win.

Look at George Ezra last year and they actually did drop it early and ahead of time. Slowly but sure the tent started to full up. I was in there early because I had wanted to see Just Mustard and Sports Team. I started to leave the tent during the last couple songs of ST cause I knew there would be a crowd shift and wasnt gonna get into that mess. Took me a solid 10 mins of weaving through people and stepping over others who were sitting down outside the tent to get through and tons of people were flooding in. Was glad to get out of there. But that shows you what happens when an announcement was made in advance.

I went to Jack White only one act before and it was EMPTY. I mean thats mainly due to Diana Ross being on but even such a big name like him which had been announced in the Free Press that morning didnt even muster a ramming until the changeover and you could see people coming to the stage. So who needed a phone, check the paper.

There is no right way to get an announcement right. Especially if its in an area that couldnt handle the crowd. So trying to balance the size of the artist to the stage theyre on is tough.

The worst was Bastille in Williams Green. They shouldnt be doing that type of thing on Thursday when nobody has anything to do at all. The whole area was really busy and I hung out around there for a little while then just left for The Park and was happy with the choice when they told people to stop coming to WG.

Idles at BBC Intro had people there semi early and I still got into the tent cause a mate confirmed it who was in there. But that wasnt even that bad.

I think having an opener on Other each day might be the easiest solution. Friday will be busy but Sat and Sun likely wont be as bad if you can balance it with somebody thats not out of this world huge and you can potentially keep it quiet.

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Thats on them for not checking up enough. I dont like the Killers that much but made it a point to go see them because I knew it was going to be electric in there for that set. I got there at the start of King Gizz and was on the barrier off to the side a bit with a pretty good view. Then stayed for Goldfrapp and was right in front of her cause everyone left. Win win.

Look at George Ezra last year and they actually did drop it early and ahead of time. Slowly but sure the tent started to full up. I was in there early because I had wanted to see Just Mustard and Sports Team. I started to leave the tent during the last couple songs of ST cause I knew there would be a crowd shift and wasnt gonna get into that mess. Took me a solid 10 mins of weaving through people and stepping over others who were sitting down outside the tent to get through and tons of people were flooding in. Was glad to get out of there. But that shows you what happens when an announcement was made in advance.

I went to Jack White only one act before and it was EMPTY. I mean thats mainly due to Diana Ross being on but even such a big name like him which had been announced in the Free Press that morning didnt even muster a ramming until the changeover and you could see people coming to the stage. So who needed a phone, check the paper.

There is no right way to get an announcement right. Especially if its in an area that couldnt handle the crowd. So trying to balance the size of the artist to the stage theyre on is tough.

The worst was Bastille in Williams Green. They shouldnt be doing that type of thing on Thursday when nobody has anything to do at all. The whole area was really busy and I hung out around there for a little while then just left for The Park and was happy with the choice when they told people to stop coming to WG.

Idles at BBC Intro had people there semi early and I still got into the tent cause a mate confirmed it who was in there. But that wasnt even that bad.

I think having an opener on Other each day might be the easiest solution. Friday will be busy but Sat and Sun likely wont be as bad if you can balance it with somebody thats not out of this world huge and you can potentially keep it quiet.

Not convinced that Jack White really is the massive name your making him out to be. Solo he's not even an arena act here

he did 6k in london after his glasto show this year and 10k in 2018. hardly much

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Not convinced that Jack White really is the massive name your making him out to be. Solo he's not even an arena act here

he did 6k in london after his glasto show this year and 10k in 2018. hardly much

Don't be silly - both Hammersmith nights week after the festival were sold out pretty quickly. If he was announced, he'd be other stage headliner or Pyramid sub (or even a weak Pyramid headliner) 

44 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Don't be silly - both Hammersmith nights week after the festival were sold out pretty quickly. If he was announced, he'd be other stage headliner or Pyramid sub (or even a weak Pyramid headliner) 

The dates just he has done in recent years just don't suggest this at all

There's no way he is headlining the pyramid ffs😂

50 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Hammersmith is 5000 capacity.  No way he'd get the slots you're suggesting, in my opinion. 

39 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hammersmith is 5000 capacity.  No way he'd get the slots you're suggesting, in my opinion. 

Exactly - 2x Hammersmith dates is the same as 2x Brixton or 1x Ally Pally.  At Glasto, that feels like roughly Other sub or JP headline level.

Phoebe Bridgers did 4x Brixton last July, and was 3rd down on the JP (which admittedly may have been "too small" a slot).  

1 hour ago, stuie said:

ah yeah my mistake, i had the old / seated capacity it seems.

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I enjoyed that set from just outside the tent, in the sunshine, with a kebab from the Greek stall opposite, and a cold cider. As you say, tent wasn’t that bad, I could have gone in, but I was happy with my spot!

Do we really think there are legs in the Foo Fighters rumours? If they played JP it would be chaos! Surely they'd have to play a TBA slot somewhere big eg Libertines 2015 Pyramid sub or Liam Gallagher TBA on Other in 2017 (which was absolutely heaving, can't remember if it was announced before or not?) 

Really pray they don't book the 1975, personally don't buy their hype/ think they will headline the Pyramid in the immediate future. 

8 hours ago, gfa said:

So you dont think if Jack was announced  as publicly as Ezra while not having to go against  Diana he wouldnt have had people show up early? It Def wouldve happened. If he was on the lineup proper I bet you he wouldve been before Noel. That wouldve been a nice evening. White Stripes bangers, Oasis bangers and Beatles bangers all in a row.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

So you dont think if Jack was announced  as publicly as Ezra while not having to go against  Diana he wouldnt have had people show up early? It Def wouldve happened. If he was on the lineup proper I bet you he wouldve been before Noel. That wouldve been a nice evening. White Stripes bangers, Oasis bangers and Beatles bangers all in a row.

I simply stated facts. Sure people would have turned out but the person i quoted said he's in contention to headline the pyramid.

He had people show up anyway, i never said it was empty ffs

George Ezra far far far outsells Jack White in the UK, not even a contest he's about to do 2 sold out nights at the o2.

I showed up early for Jack White. 🙋🏼‍♀️  Absolutely EPIC set. One of my highlights of last year!!! Well worth skipping DR for. Only secret set I've been to but I loved finding out on the day and dropping all plans. 

Here's some snippets of the classics thrown into a video

...pretty much the only videos of a set I got all weekend but the crowd was grand where I was. Sun shining. What a vibe 🥰 get me back!

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Suprefan said:

That opener idea really is good. I'd love that having been in a band. Big crowd, done early, get on the piss.

12 hours ago, gfa said:

I simply stated facts. Sure people would have turned out but the person i quoted said he's in contention to headline the pyramid.

He had people show up anyway, i never said it was empty ffs

George Ezra far far far outsells Jack White in the UK, not even a contest he's about to do 2 sold out nights at the o2.

Megan was shunned for not being able to sell out Brixton with only a couple weeks notice and headlining Other on top of that. Should she have been demoted for lack of draw?

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Megan was shunned for not being able to sell out Brixton with only a couple weeks notice and headlining Other on top of that. Should she have been demoted for lack of draw?

Yes, couldnt sell one small date in london out… terrible.  Maybe she should do another tik tok song

14 hours ago, MEL29 said:

Do we really think there are legs in the Foo Fighters rumours? If they played JP it would be chaos! Surely they'd have to play a TBA slot somewhere big eg Libertines 2015 Pyramid sub or Liam Gallagher TBA on Other in 2017 (which was absolutely heaving, can't remember if it was announced before or not?) 

Really pray they don't book the 1975, personally don't buy their hype/ think they will headline the Pyramid in the immediate future. 

Well there's basically only Friday Pyramid sub, a Pyramid or Other opener slot, or secret JP slot available now - all the other possibilties are filled.  They couldn't put Foo Fighters on the Park (or anywhere else for that matter).

I think it would be the least surprising thing ever if Dave Grohl were there in some capacity - if QotSA play, he might well be drumming for them, for example.  But a Foo Fighters set seems just really unlikely.

9 minutes ago, goonerben said:

Well there's basically only Friday Pyramid sub, a Pyramid or Other opener slot, or secret JP slot available now - all the other possibilties are filled.  They couldn't put Foo Fighters on the Park (or anywhere else for that matter).

I think it would be the least surprising thing ever if Dave Grohl were there in some capacity - if QotSA play, he might well be drumming for them, for example.  But a Foo Fighters set seems just really unlikely.

If they put The Killers in the old tent then Foos could also go there. I’m not saying it’s likely but it could certainly happen. 

10 hours ago, Superscally said:

Which is weird. Call him the White Stripes and he's back atop the Pointo.

Not sure the white stripes are headlining in 2023 to be honest, so many far better picks.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Completely unrelated to what i said

whats your point

1 hour ago, goonerben said:

If there is one band who would play an opening slot, purely for the fun of it, it’s Dave and co! 
Think the crowd would be way too big for Other. Given they’ve talked about addressing crowd control for TBAs maybe it’s a hint they have something big up their sleeve? 

Re: Pulp’s absence from the lineup, I wonder if they could be playing in a ‘secret’ set further down the Pyramid (or Other) like Aerosmith were seemingly supposed to do in ‘20 and then ‘22 before it fell through. Obviously there’s still the very likely chance they’re just not playing for whatever reason, but the Aerosmith thing at least suggests they’ve been dabbling in larger secret/later announced sets. We obviously have no idea how Aerosmith we’re gonna be presented in the final lineup, but having a gap in the Pyramid lineup or an act presented as a ‘special guest’ could be a way to get around the crowd troubles Emily is worried about.